Hi-viz or not...

I take the thing off as soon as I get in the cab, mainly for the reflections in the windscreen, don’t like 'em :imp: . And I like to stay cool behind the wheel, on a sunny day, with no aircon fitted :confused: , every little helps. Always wear it at building sites etc. But I objected to being told that I had to put it on before I drove into a yard to drop my load. Little bit fussy, but when their interpretation of their own rule is wrong, I felt like having an argument. Matey referred it to the Manager and wandered off to call another wagon into the yard (you have to park outside and wait…). Young lady wanders out with a card with their rules on, none of which refer to drivers having to wear hi-viz while driving into the yard. I agree to wear the thing as soon as I get out the cab. So she wanders off to confer with the Manager. Comes back with an “Ok”. Matey comes back out and asks me if I’m ready to see sense and put my hi-viz on. Obvious he was left out of the communication channels, or something, can’t understand why. Another lad appeared and unloaded me where I was, in the road outside.
I was a bit pushy and ■■■■, but can’t stand idiots like that. Next time I went in, he was busy on his FLT so I wandered around and failed to find anyone else. Went into the shop to find find him squawking into his radio that he was going to have to get someone else to unload the driver that he didn’t see eye to eye with. Apparently, he’s the deputy supervisor of the yard. I wonder how many other people he doesn’t see eye to eye with…
Rant/, as they say…

Until you step out of your cab, you could be stark bollock naked, what difference would a hivis make when you are in your cab? Its little Hitler syndrome, most people stuck in the same ■■■■ hole day after day have it.

Freightliner liverpool have the same policy, winds me right up as it’s one of the smallest and least busy ones that I’ve been to and it’s the only one that requires it. I asked whether they expected me to get run over in the cab, they didn’t find it very funny.

I wear a hiviz polo shirt to work, my jacket gets wrapped over the passenger seat and I just jump in and out the cab as I please. I did have some one who was wearing a hi viz bomber jacket tell me “The sign says hi viz VEST mate!!!” My reply was “Well where is you hi viz VEST■■?”

I’ve been told to remove my Yellow hi-viz and put an Orange one on in the past.

Work that one out :unamused:

Terry T:

Depends where you are delivering. I do a lot of work to rail related sites and they require orange, as this is railtrack policy. Apparently train drivers react to orange as a red signal, but see the yellow ones as a green signal!!

nyk473l:

Terry T:

Depends where you are delivering. I do a lot of work to rail related sites and they require orange, as this is railtrack policy. Apparently train drivers react to orange as a red signal, but see the yellow ones as a green signal!!

Just a regular RDC. It’s nothing other than some suited ■■■■■■■■ trying to mess people around because they can.

Think I’ve put mine on a handful of times in the last 3 yrs. I know a guy who works for a council in the midlands and it’s policy to wear it all the time in it out of the truck

I wear it only when I have to. And sometimes I forget to even then.

Long and short of it is, we look like knobs in them.

I will not get hit by a forkie, or similar, because I keep my eyes open and my wits about me.

Just can’t drive in one.

I don’t wear it in the cab as Imove flts and it gets grease and other cap on it, I wouldn’tsit on my settee at home with it on why in the cab where I spend more time than at home most weeks?
I have had the orange hi viz thing too, their vest their grease :wink:
stupid rules like a place in bootle that told me I couldn’t get on he back of my wagon to drive the flt off…ffs…then I get well do it quick before the office see you :laughing:

PaulNowak:
Just can’t drive in one.

Can we debate the relevance of the hi-Viz? :open_mouth:

Kenny the forkie where I used to work was always having a go at me for not having one on, our shirts were bloody bright red ffs

I just used to look off into the ether when I heard him bawling.

“You, I’m bloody talking to you!!!” Came his reply

But you can’t see me.

The problem with the whole Hi-viz thing is that people are becoming hi-viz blind I reckon. So many people are wearing them now, it’s ridiculous.

Watching the various election coverage channels recently, people were wearing them in the venues they were using for counting the votes! What the ■■■■ for?!

The people who do those traffic surveys at the side of the road, (not in it), community speedwatch etc all wear them. Again what the hell for? They’re on the pavement, not in the road itself so I can’t see it confurs them any benefit.

It’s probably something to do with ambulance chasing lawyers, but like I say, surely as more and more people are wearing them, paradoxically, they are becoming less visible… :confused:

It should be personal choice, even front car seat belts. I’m all for them believe me but at the end of the day if something happens to me because I didn’t wear one, it’s my own look out.

It’s ever since that guy on the coke avert shown his pecks under his hi viz, everyone thinks they are him :laughing:

God knows how badly you girls would moan about your skimmed knee, if you had to wear the sleeved version they do out on the mayor roads, while laying Tarmac on the hottest day of summer! It’s enough to make you pass out as you try measure & mark out the lane painting! :laughing:

Feeling brave, had a beer! :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

PaulNowak:
Just can’t drive in one.

Oh how I wait until you’ve got your class 1, oh cheeky arse [emoji2]

PaulNowak:

Evil8Beezle:

PaulNowak:
Just can’t drive in one.

Oh how I wait until you’ve got your class 1, oh cheeky arse [emoji2]

Yep, and I won’t hide my transgressions. However, the timing of my admittance my be another matter! :wink:

I went to Warwick Castle a few years ago and it was full of kids on school trips as it often is. One school had their kids all wearing mini hi-viz vests. Was a really sad thing to see :frowning:

Terry T:
I went to Warwick Castle a few years ago and it was full of kids on school trips as it often is. One school had their kids all wearing mini hi-viz vests. Was a really sad thing to see :frowning:

The irony of over priced school uniform s was to distinguish between schools, could you imagine the chaos if they all conformed to hi viz :laughing:

What is the point of getting arsey about putting a Hi Vis on before you enter a yard or get out your cab.
Hi Vis are for your benefit,so you can be seen the moment you step down out of the cab,with FLT movement its easy to see a wagon by the sheer size of it but not so easy to see someone walking around without a Hi Vis on.
Get knocked over and try getting compensation for your injuries,
Insurers will say no Hi Vis contrary to site instructions verbal or written forget it.