Hi-viz or not...

lolipop:
What is the point of getting arsey about putting a Hi Vis on before you enter a yard or get out your cab.
Hi Vis are for your benefit,so you can be seen the moment you step down out of the cab,with FLT movement its easy to see a wagon by the sheer size of it but not so easy to see someone walking around without a Hi Vis on.
Get knocked over and try getting compensation for your injuries,
Insurers will say no Hi Vis contrary to site instructions verbal or written forget it.

OK it’s arsey as you say, but why should you adhere to a ■■■■■■ stupid rule, that in real terms has no point, purpose or reason. If a relevant rule like wearing one in a busy yard is there well Yeh, fair play. However if some young spotty arsed ■■■■ in an office, on more pay than you and me, is trying to justify his non job by making us do pointless things, and jump through hoops, for no other reason than only to assert his authority, well the o/p and me will question it and try and show it up to what it is…ie. complete and utter ■■■■■■■■!

So arsey?.. Yeh dead right mate, and if more of us were the same, and questioned this type of crap, and answered back, a lot of things would not be as bad in this job! :bulb:

Oh, and apart from that anybody that drives in a hi viz looks a complete ■■■■ and should be beaten up. :laughing: :laughing: usually agency drivers. :wink:

robroy:

lolipop:
What is the point of getting arsey about putting a Hi Vis on before you enter a yard or get out your cab.
Hi Vis are for your benefit,so you can be seen the moment you step down out of the cab,with FLT movement its easy to see a wagon by the sheer size of it but not so easy to see someone walking around without a Hi Vis on.
Insurers will say no Hi Vis contrary to site instructions verbal or written forget it.

OK it’s arsey as you say, but why should you adhere to a [zb] stupid rule, that in real terms has no point, purpose or reason. If a relevant rule like wearing one in a busy yard is there well Yeh, fair play. However if some young spotty arsed [zb] in an office, on more pay than you and me, is trying to justify his non job by making us do pointless things, and jump through hoops, for no other reason than only to assert his authority, well the o/p and me will question it and try and show it up to what it is…ie. complete and utter ■■■■■■■■!

So arsey?.. Yeh dead right mate, and if more of us were the same, and questioned this type of crap, and answered back, a lot of things would not be as bad in this job! :bulb:

Oh, and apart from that anybody that drives in a hi viz looks a complete [zb] and should be beaten up. :laughing: :laughing: usually agency drivers. :wink:

Nothing in my posting about driving in a Hi Vis,more to about having it on before you get out of your cab.
With regards to the spotty arsed kid he or she is mostly likely to be doing what he or she is told to do,to save having a rollocking from the Boss for not ensuring Company rules are adhered to by bolshy drivers.

not
only needed in hazardous situation

Stobart policy is that you should not put your hi-vis on until you are out of the cab because any grease which gets on the high vis will then get on the seat. I think this is the right way to go about it. Pull up at drop point, open door, climb out, Hi-Vis on, close door. At no point in that are you far enough away from the cab that you could be hit by MHE being driven in a reasonable manner. From the front you are protected by the door and from the rear there is a significantly higher chance that any errant MHE will hit the trailer rather than you!

As for different color Hi-Vis jackets for different sites, I won’t do with it at all. I have my hi-vis which satisfies the HASAWA 1974. If they want me to wear anything different and it isn’t written on the special instructions on the notes, they can provide it. If it is on the notes, the company I am working for has to pay for it.

One final point is to say that you are safer without a hi-vis than with it. You try walking across an RDC having forgotten you hi-vis. Everyone sees you immediately, not because you have done anything particuarly noteworthy, but because in a sea of yellow and orange, you are the one that is different!

Last job had to wear hi vis top with long sleeves and hi vis trousers all the while, as company insisted on it. In current driving role (tippers), I wear the hi vis vest all day, including in the cab, for no other reason than the cab is dusty and I can just take the hi vis off at the end of the day and get into my car without transferring the dust.

I travel to many transport yards and sites, with many levels of percieved health and safelty. What I always find funny is being passed a medium his-vis as it’s all they have in reception, when an xxxl would be better :smiley:

I love it when you see forces lads doing their LGV training. Full camouflage gear, topped off with a hi-viz. ■■■■■■■■

I just tell em its illegal to wear on the highway as other motorists can subconsciously see it as a green light, its also a homosexual statement of being available and willing, so I was told at an RDC once.

In their yard I will do as im told though. Nothing winds little ■■■■ wannabees up more than complying and smiling about it. They live for that moment one driver will kick up a fuss.

I only wear mine in my own car when going cottaging.

lolipop:

robroy:

lolipop:

OK it’s arsey as you say, but why should you adhere to a [zb] stupid rule, that in real terms has no point, purpose or reason. If a relevant rule like wearing one in a busy yard is there well Yeh, fair play. However if some young spotty arsed [zb] in an office, on more pay than you and me, is trying to justify his non job by making us do pointless things, and jump through hoops, for no other reason than only to assert his authority, well the o/p and me will question it and try and show it up to what it is…ie. complete and utter ■■■■■■■■!

Oh, and apart from that anybody that drives in a hi viz looks a complete [zb] and should be beaten up. :laughing: :laughing: usually agency drivers. :wink:

Nothing in my posting about driving in a Hi Vis,more to about having it on before you get out of your cab.
With regards to the spotty arsed kid he or she is mostly likely to be doing what he or she is told to do,to save having a rollocking from the Boss for not ensuring Company rules are adhered to by bolshy drivers.

It was the o/p that was told to wear it before he drove in the yard. I was pointing out that there was no real need to wear one when driving in the yard.
If you think it’s bolshy to point these things out, well that’s your opinion, but it’s the thin end of the wedge towards more bloody stupid rules, as if there are not enough as it is.
Pedantic? yes, …bolshy ? arguably so, …showing these pricks up to be ridiculous with their bloody stupid rules? definitely.

I was once told in a brickyard to wear my hi viz, and hard hat while sat in the passenger seat during loading :open_mouth: :unamused: It was a Fri afternoon with little spreadover left, so instead of kicking off about it I just shook my head and said something like ‘yeh no problem mate, I enjoy looking like a ■■■■ for everybody’s entertainment anyway’’ he just ignored me.
I was looking around for him filming me on his phone , as I felt sure it was a ■■■■ take :smiley:

PaulNowak:
I love it when you see forces lads doing their LGV training. Full camouflage gear, topped off with a hi-viz. ■■■■■■■■

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I am similar to you DD. I refuse to wear my viz in the cab.

Other road users will assume I am agency.

Its getting so bad now that I feel a memo is needed, feel free to print out and post on your company notice boards…

Internal Communication Ref: HVDD/069/■■■■

Dear Colleague,
There is an escalating problem that I must bring to your attention, namely the wearing of Hi Viz vests whilst behind the wheel on the public highway.

I politely request that you join with me in trying to eradicate this issue which can have serious implications on road safety. The issue is that other drivers will subconsciously see the grease ridden green vest as a go signal when approaching traffic lights which in turn can cause accidents.
Following the lead of our colleagues on the railways where green Hi Viz vests are banned I feel its impetative that we follow suit.

There is also the small matter of drivers drawing attention to their in cab antics, lets face it we all drink tea, have a nibble on a biscuit etc that we would not want advertised to the boys and girls in blue.

Another issue is that drivers look silly and can easily be misstaken for agency folk who I am reliably informed even wear their HV vests at home.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this communication and I hope a few of you will join with me to put a stop to this daft practice.

Oh and as per usual company guidelines please ensure to wear HV vests on customer premises where it is a requirement to do so. Not when out on public roads if avoidable.

Kind Regards
A concerned colleague.

bazza123:
The problem with the whole Hi-viz thing is that people are becoming hi-viz blind I reckon. So many people are wearing them now, it’s ridiculous.

A hi vis vest-jacket ruined my picture!

moomooland:

bazza123:
The problem with the whole Hi-viz thing is that people are becoming hi-viz blind I reckon. So many people are wearing them now, it’s ridiculous.

A hi vis vest-jacket ruined my picture!

The pic with the girls doing the tug of war, why the hell is the woman taking the picture in a hi-viz :unamused: :unamused: :question:

A bloke on my street walks the dog with hivis vests for him and the dog :laughing:

seth 70:
A bloke on my street walks the dog with hivis vests for him and the dog :laughing:

Agencey dog - that’s novel :wink:

Goldilox:

seth 70:

I wonder if the dog has 2 ear pieces and a limp :smiley:

Goldilox:

seth 70:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: no its not agency,its a propper dog not a mungrel :wink:

Walking the dog in the park, they’re are cuuting the grass with one of those front, end numerous rotating blade affairs.
Operative, hi vized…head to toe, he’s coming within a couple of feet of me, I’m Hi vizless, situations like this call the whole hi viz wearing thing into question?