Putting tacho on rest before ejecting card

Right or wrong I don’t care -

All my years in Europe have given me the attitude of making it as obvious as possible to any control that I was on rest at the start, and at the end my shift is finished and I am on rest. Manual or Digital tacho’s.
Nobody has ever said it is not correct . Back in the day one UK employer demanded we drew a vertical line on the disc at the start and finish too - to me that was defacing the card , but that was what they wanted. Never fined.

toonsy:

damoq:
No, it gets left on other work because walking from the truck to the office to debrief is other work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

But…

You’ve also touched on another pet hate of mine. A debrief? Isn’t that just finishing work? I’m never sure what, as a HGV driver, can be debriefed?

Pointy shoe rubbish. My Spitfire isn’t back on the airfield cooling down whilst chaps called Ginger in white overalls are checking it over, ffs. :unamused:

Force of habit.

OwenMoney:
Back in the day one UK employer demanded we drew a vertical line on the disc at the start and finish too - to me that was defacing the card , but that was what they wanted. Never fined.

Why when all the relevant manual entry information is on the back of the chart. :confused:

I don’t know. It was demanded by the transport manager .
This was a line in black biro on the front of the disc to show start and finish duty time.
We were paid by the day so nothing to do with pay.

Carryfast:
Why when all the relevant manual entry information is on the back of the chart. :confused:

+1…

Last week I did a cracking little job putting all the wiggly lines in all the right places on the back, to show my day (ok 4 hours) sat on my arse in the yard. Only for the nerd on the desk to scratch a great big start/finish line on the front.

Carryfast:

OwenMoney:
Back in the day one UK employer demanded we drew a vertical line on the disc at the start and finish too - to me that was defacing the card , but that was what they wanted. Never fined.

Because that’s how it shows it done in the GV262…?

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … raph-rules

Roymondo:

Carryfast:

OwenMoney:

Heard about putting start/end marking on disc too. It was when we were “visited” by the ministry…
I didn’t think the cops in other countries who wanted to see an unbroken overnight trace on discs would be impressed, so never did it.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I always do.
I have never done a manual entry.

Franglais:

Roymondo:

Carryfast:

OwenMoney:

Heard about putting start/end marking on disc too. It was when we were “visited” by the ministry…
I didn’t think the cops in other countries who wanted to see an unbroken overnight trace on discs would be impressed, so never did it.

It also says manual entries to be done on the reverse of the chart as I described.Then to add insult to injury it shows that just dropping the line to the rest section and writing SDR and EDR will do.In which case what’s the bleedin point of that section of the graph.Go figure.It looks like the DVSA is populated by the same muppets who are often moaned about talking bollox lecturing DCPC courses. :open_mouth: :confused:

Carryfast:
It also says manual entries to be done on the reverse of the chart as I described.

No, it says “Most analogue charts have a specified place to make manual entries (usually on the reverse) however, manual entries can be made anywhere on the chart provided that they are clear and do not obliterate other recordings.”

Roymondo:

Carryfast:
It also says manual entries to be done on the reverse of the chart as I described.

No, it says “Most analogue charts have a specified place to make manual entries (usually on the reverse) however, manual entries can be made anywhere on the chart provided that they are clear and do not obliterate other recordings.”

Agreed and which is why I described the needless resulting mess as being dream’t up by muppets.

IE why would anyone want to deface the chart and/or not complete the rest section of the graph as it’s designed to be used.Thereby also resulting in a pointless broken record of activeties in either case leading to an obvious suspicion of falsification,or at least omission,of a record during the unaccounted for period. :confused:

Nope load of bill hooks

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I do a manual entry in the morning rounding up the pervious day’s work to the next 15 minutes mark. Then rest until I am in the vehicle at say 7.05 am when I use the manual entry to record that I began work at 7.00 accounting for walking from car to office and picking up keys etc.

I would like to as a question about working over 9 hours if I may? You need to have taken 30 minutes up until that point under WTD and say you haven’t driven for 4.5 hours. OK. You’ve reached 9 hours and haven’t finished work. You still have a little work to do after 9 hours. It happened to me today. I put it on break since I had worked over 9 hours. That’s fine. But you cannot finish your day with a break can you? So how much ‘work’ would I need to show after taking this 15 minutes break? (Usually I would have taken 45 but today things didn’t work out like that).

Mooping:
I do a manual entry in the morning rounding up the pervious day’s work to the next 15 minutes mark. Then rest until I am in the vehicle at say 7.05 am when I use the manual entry to record that I began work at 7.00 accounting for walking from car to office and picking up keys etc.

I would like to as a question about working over 9 hours if I may? You need to have taken 30 minutes up until that point under WTD and say you haven’t driven for 4.5 hours. OK. You’ve reached 9 hours and haven’t finished work. You still have a little work to do after 9 hours. It happened to me today. I put it on break since I had worked over 9 hours. That’s fine. But you cannot finish your day with a break can you? So how much ‘work’ would I need to show after taking this 15 minutes break? (Usually I would have taken 45 but today things didn’t work out like that).

1 minute

I put it on bed prior to ejecting because it then shows on the print the last action was clocking off / bed. None of this penny pinching manual entry crap. We get payed enough without the need for dragging every last 10 pence out of the company and don’t talk to me about the legalities of other working walking back to the car with your kit. Load of bull ■■■■.

ajt:
I put it on bed prior to ejecting because it then shows on the print the last action was clocking off / bed. None of this penny pinching manual entry crap. We get payed enough without the need for dragging every last 10 pence out of the company and don’t talk to me about the legalities of other working walking back to the car with your kit. Load of bull [zb].

+1
My company want daily printouts to tot up our hours etc and this way makes it easier for the office to check each day.

Where I am the tacho goes to Other Work automatically when we park up on a bay at the end of a day, card gets pulled out, go in and finish off shift, empty the van, tidy up, etc, then debrief. Usually takes up to 30-40 mins or so. Then clock off.
They are adamant that, when we do a manual entry at the start of the next shift, we include at least 15 mins OW at the end of the previous shift, and also OW from clock on time to “now” on current shift.
Had a few nice chats with Compliance about that in me early days with them.

It always struck me as strange that, in this world of minute by minute checking up on you, that my tacho “End shift” is different to my clock card “End shift” but it doesn’t matter. But go 1 minute under on 45 and all hell breaks loose.

LowRange:
don’t talk to me about the legalities of other working walking back to the car with your kit. Load of bull [zb].

+1 well said.

Surprised some numpty has not said getting his butties and flask ready in the kitchen at home before a shift counts as other work. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: