Prime Godfrey's Sons

Anybody recall an outfit called ‘Prime Godfrey’s Sons Ltd’? It was - I think - based in the St. Ives (Hunts.) area and seemed to be chiefly engaged in the carrying of produce to markets. I remember the fleet being mainly Dodge painted in battleship grey.

BenHur:
Anybody recall an outfit called ‘Prime Godfrey’s Sons Ltd’? It was - I think - based in the St. Ives (Hunts.) area and seemed to be chiefly engaged in the carrying of produce to markets. I remember the fleet being mainly Dodge painted in battleship grey.

I remember Prime Godfreys,I’ve had one or two lifts with them when in RAF early 60s. I think they were from Swavesey Cambs.

Yes, Swavesey is quite likely. No doubt the location of the yard was painted on the side of the cab but I simply can’t remember. Were you thumbing a ride to and from RAF Oakington?

BenHur:
Yes, Swavesey is quite likely. No doubt the location of the yard was painted on the side of the cab but I simply can’t remember. Were you thumbing a ride to and from RAF Oakington?

I was at RAF Feltwell,near Brandon at the time and rented a flat in Cambridge for a few months in 1963.I got a lift to Barton Mills one morning and from the A1/A57 island near Worksop to Sheffield one night.It was a long time ago so I’m a bit hazy but I do believe it was a LAD Dodge doing a market.
I’ve never seen a photo of a Prime Godfrey wagon.

I remember Prime Godfrey’s, that’s twice I’ve heard that name lately. I was recently in contact with a fellow member of the Land-Rover Series One Club who’s lived in Australia for years but originates from St Ives, told me his sister was killed years ago in a head-on crash with a Prime Godfrey’s motor on the A14 near the crematorium when it was a 3-lane “suicide road”.
Bernard

There was a prang every minute when that road was 3-lane. Nowadays it’s only one an hour!

BenHur:
There was a prang every minute when that road was 3-lane. Nowadays it’s only one an hour!

I used that A14 many times late 60s early 70s when loaded out of Canvey Island on a Saturday for my home city Sheffield.Through Brentwood to Harlow and onto A10 at Royston and then A14 to Godmanchester.A lovely run through Caxton Gibbet,road straight as a die,far better than that Norf Circla onto A1 or M1.