bowies

://s254.photobuPhotobucketcket.com

Photobucket

didnt aone buy them in the late 80s?

I nearly didn’t get that second picture. I was thinking to myself “why put a Jennings pod on a wagon that could’ve been bought with a better factory sleeper?”

Then I remembered - Bowies ran 8-cylinder Gardners, so it’s probably a second-hand day-cab motor, hence the Jennings dog box on the back.

Are there any pictures of Bowies motors with paper reels on the back? they used to run into Westbrooks in Burscough with Suttons and Nicholls from Sittingbourne all the time.

just clock the regs young fella most were second hand very few bought new jnb was new from hariths a manc number do u remember the front page of the burscough messenger with mgr 182p lay on its side

You probably mean the Ormskirk Advertiser - was that around 1981?

dreva:
didnt aone buy them in the late 80s?

I believe they did.

yes mate the haulage side was sold to a1 transport 1989 then the removals 6 months later to bewley and shwepns of loughborough

they didnt like erfs at aone think that was something to do with bowies :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Photobucket

great old pics of Bowies, brings back memories,

it reminded me of Manchester, was there a waste paper place? the bay was side on to the road if i remember right.

Borderer:
great old pics of Bowies, brings back memories,

it reminded me of Manchester, was there a waste paper place? the bay was side on to the road if i remember right.

Francis Lee’s perhaps?

That last picture is a double whammy - a much modified Bowies tractor AND an E H Nicholls Flat loaded with reels of paper.

Nice one - just as I remember them.

yes used to do quite a lot of waste paper 1 of em was edwin butterworth ancoats ,thatwagon originates from kent 1 of 2 bought 2 nd hand off wilds motors altrincham

Kent eh?

Dial All Roads, E H Nicholls or Len Valsler could’ve been the original owners then.

could be mate there were quite a few firms ran em in the seventies alan firmin haseldens henleys lowes to name a few

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ive only posted this here because I searched for Len Vasler.

Just read part 1 and 2 of the Len Vasler story in Heritage Commercials magazine. absolutely fascinating story and cant wait for the next edition.

It was the grit that got me into transport and having started at the bottom I can understand all the politics and Union hierarchy.

Have a read. It will give you an insight.