Carters Lemonade

Anyone else here used to pull out of there? Cotts now!

I exhibit at vintage shows with Dennis Amies who hauled for them.

Pete.

I did a few loads out of there with a 17t Leyland Freighter in the early nineties, not the best of haulage rates to be honest so soon found something else to do, the only picture I have of this lorry is in Ashbourne Carnival in 1993.

The OP has posted a picture of a Leyland Roadtrain belonging to M.E. Bates, I also used to see them when I was loading at Oldacres Mill at Skeffington.

The yard they used to operate from between Rempstone & Wymeswold is now covered in houses, the cul-de-sac is aptly named “The Old Engine Yard.”

Was that the firm that had transcons with I’M FOREVER TOWING BUBBLES on them ?

Mainly the Dodges running out of Skeffington although i did do a few loads out of there myself, hard graft handballing feed sacks!
We had our maintenance done at Rempstone, Beeby’s Garage, i think the name is in honour of the Beeby brothers famous ploughing steam engines!
Our base was the old airfield at Melton Mowbray.

I used to load out of Carter’s in the 80s and early 90s when I
worked at Stirlands
Has it’s been quoted the rates weren’t the best we only ran out of there when we weren’t that busy
Also there was no Shunter there so somedays you’d be kept waiting all day just to load
I can remember Arthur Gee he ran out of there he ran a couple of 401s and DAF 3300s
He had some trailers in Carter’s colours one was a Lemonade liner and the other was a Cola Cruiser
There was another firm called
B and J Transport run by a bloke called Ted Coombes they were based in RH Freights yard in Nottingham
They ran some ex RH F12 Globettotters and a couple of IVECOS they pulled out of Carter’s Pop and also had a few trailers in Carter’s colours

I remember Arthur, you’re not wrong about the loading times, often sit there for hours only to be told you need to go round to ‘B’ block to load the rest!