Leicester's Bygone's

I hope this works…this is my first attempt to download a photograph. Trevor Glover was my fathers friend he started this business with one brand new cab over Leyland comet 4 wheeler tipper in 1959 because of poor braking he got rid really quick and went with fodens I only remember one AEC . He started hauling for whitwick quarry and later went into coal and scrap bulk haulage. I don’t know when the business ended but I know he was still going in 1984 . Trevor and my dad are no longer with us.

can anyone remember,or have any photo’s of the lorries that ran out of Enderby’s Warren Hill quarry.it was Redland fleet,but before that they may have been called Greenline? my late dad used to drive for them,they had Atkinsons and Commer 2-strokes that i can remember in the '60’s.we lived at the top of the hill at the time,and i can still hear those Commer’s screaming up Mill Hill! :smiley: Redland later went over to Leyland’s(and AEC’s i think).i can also recall the Euclid dumpers that used to bring the granite out the ‘hole’,up to the crusher.they were very impressive!

I hope these jog a few memories .
Graham Martins Transport
AML Transport
Blaby Haulage
Transwind Transport
NT Motors Narborough Transport
Hercock and Simpson
Marshall Bros of wigston
Brookes Pies of wigston
Court Bros
Draycotts
Lapworth Removals
Span-Furn,
AM Walkers of cosby
Pickfords Heavy Haulage
Eastern BRS of blaby
Hamblins Haulage (pointers)
Just to name but a few. I’m sure there are a lot more but the old head hurts for now

Murphy bros thurmaston…HV day glenfield .LEP national carriers.british shoe corporation.Atlas express to name a few.

hi,
do you recall ward and smith? from oadby leics.the late john ward who along with his brother peter ran this long established firm.john was a very good friend of mine and at his funeral at hinckley crematorium many of us turned up in our classic trucks as john would have wanted.
regards andrew

Hello I dont remember them in service but I have seen pictures of their preserved lorries.I grew up in Coalville and am more familiar with the bulk tipper industry.If you were around in the sixties do you remember the name of a bulk tipper outfit that started in Leicester around 1966 they had quite a few trucks and were unusual because their power units were mercedes not many about at the time and they were artics equally unusual .They were red and white if I remember correctly they werent around very long I assume they went bust.

hi, i remember lanks midland york.(l m y) carriers, scudamore road ,later bought by united carriers,they used to run albion clydales.
cheers diesel

pete 359:
hi,
do you recall ward and smith? from oadby leics.the late john ward who along with his brother peter ran this long established firm.john was a very good friend of mine and at his funeral at hinckley crematorium many of us turned up in our classic trucks as john would have wanted.
regards andrew

Hi pete 359,
I remember Ward and Smith very well, thought they were still operating as i see some of there lorries still parked in James Brooks yard at bradgate street ex landfleet, ex ex W Smith Haulage.
In about 1980/81 my mums partner used to drive for them when they were still in the old yard in london rd oadby leics, and i used to go with him most school holidays.
He had the smartest F88-290 on the planet. That was my 1st taste of an F88, absolute luxury after being in my grandads leyland marathon, although the marathon was an excellent lorry, no contest against the volvo. Air sprung passenger seat, HEAT, the cab was warm before we got onto the M1.
The fleet then consisted of, - 2 F88-290s, 1-F88-240(with a 290 grille on it) a scania 111, a daf 2800, 2- transcontinental fords both ■■■■■■■■ 1 with a 290 and the other which he purchased off the firm my grandad worked for had a 350 with the big cam.
All his trucks were well maintained and well turned out, immaculate. They were all given names, the only ones i can remember is the F88-290 was called " soldier blue " and the transcon 350 was called “steam hammer” cause nothing could touch it.

Theres a picture of an ancient commer of simpson leicester on the topic scrapbook memories page 90.