Portsmouth/Fareham Companies

2 pictures of Robert Baillie Atkinson OPN 26F, at Wigan depot and at Horndean depot.
Pictures courtesy of Eddie Heaton and Tim Walker. Ray Smyth.

Scan%203.jpg

OPN 26F.jpg

Mercedes-Benz unit and 20ft skeletal trailer and container of Eagleway Freight of Fareham.
Picture by Mark S.Bailey and the Paul Gee/DEANB thread.

L2027.JPG

This picture reminded me of my 3 years with Robert Baillie Transport of Horndean,
handballing up to 3000 trays of Guernsey Tomatoes, or a full shoot of Cauliflowers
at some windswept wholesale fruit market in the North of England or Scotland.
The Bedford lorry is E.Watts, Wholesale Fruit & Veg, but I cant make out who is
the owner of the Commer flat on the left, it looks like Southampton on the door.
Perhaps some of you Pompey or Soton drivers may recognise it. I have had a
closer look at the picture, and I now think that the Commer belongs to the
wholesaler where the E.Watts Bedford is being loaded with what look like nets
of parsnips. The Commer headboard reads “BLUCAT POTATOES”, and the sacks
of spuds on the left carry the same name.
Ray Smyth.

Hi all just found the same photo on Southampton daily echo they have done a piece about the rebuilding off the old fruit market know luxury flats they say the photo was February 21 1964. But doesn’t say who the truck’s are owned bye. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am deeply saddened to announce the passing of Terry Walker. Terry was Fleet Engineer
with Robert Baillie & Co.Ltd from the start of the company in the 1960s, and remained
with Baillies for the rest of his working life. Because of his failing sight, Terry resided at
The Blind Veterans Home, formerly St Dunstans, near Brighton for the last 20 years.
I am privileged to have known Terry Walker…Rest in peace Terry.

Ray Smyth, Ex Robert Baillie.

Eagleway Renault.

DEANB:
Eagleway Renault.

Dean, Thank you for the Eagleway picture, Cheers, Ray.

In 1975 Hendy’s supplied this 6 x 4 Transcontinental to A W Curphey of Cosham. Does anybody know of Curphey ?. it appears to have a somewhat heavy unladen weight for normal european work,but with no air con presumably not engaged on M/E work

img384.jpg

Tony Curphey and his brother were subie’s for Hiils of Botley for a number of years then he went on middle east runs for a period, then I was told he sailed around the world . When he was in New Zealand he bumpt into Mick Evans also a Portsmouth OD that was quite a while ago. youll have get in touch with Roy Davy im sure he’ll know more

I remember Burnetts lorries very well from when I was with Robert Baillie & Co.Ltd. from Horndean
in the early 1970s. I very often saw Burnetts lorries in the wholesale fruit & vegetable markets at
Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, & Bradford. Later on in the 1970s or early 1980s, I recall a couple
of Baillies staff joined Burnetts, they were transport manager Bert Blaskett and HGV class 1 driver
Dave Youldon. Both of these chaps are no longer with us. This Austin artic lorry is well loaded with
cauliflowers, probably from Brittany. Picture is from Mike Burnett collection.
Ray Smyth.

A smart looking BMC flat lorry of Burnetts of Portsmouth. I imagine it is about 13 tons G.V.W.,
being on 8 stud wheels. With its high headboard, I reckon it would have carried many high loads
of cauliflowers from Brittany, and tomatoes from The Channel Islands to wholesale fruit & veg
markets throughout the UK. Not my picture. Ray Smyth.

Burnetts BMC.jpg

I used to drive this ford d series for eagleway freight scotland every week 50 mph uphill and down hill never miseda beat.

thats my dad stood in front sadly no longer with us lorry driver his whole life ex percy powell

What a great photo.
GS

Hi all. Truck world is that Tony Stevens in the picture he had a mixer on ready mix years back.

truckworld:
thats my dad stood in front sadly no longer with us lorry driver his whole life ex percy powell

Hi, You mentioned that your Dad was Ex Percy Powell Transport, I joined Robert Baillie at Horndean at the time
that Baillies acquired Percy Powell, its drivers, and its lorries. Names that I can remember are Mick Ansell,
Jimmy Farmer, Dave Youldon, John Porter, all Ex Percy Powell. You may have seen the Percy Powell
thread that I started on here last year, also the Robert Baillie thread. Always keen to see any pictures of their lorries.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

MMD in a bad way

?

Hi RTD did the company below evolve from Marsh’s or the other way round summit rings a bell here or am I barking, Buzzer