Portsmouth/Fareham Companies

Chris Davison bought this from Mercedes UK drove it a few times only on UK though…

And before anyone asks I didn’t take it camping with me, think the shot was taken at Silverstone truck racing weekend…

toby1234abc:
Most likely that you went in the parrot bar or Ricardo’s.It was next to the BI office in Porto by Leca de Palmeria docks.
The phone in the cafe was a rip off.
Or the Atlantico on the beach.A lot parked there.Loading all night on a friday.Then the dreaded IP 5 from Aveiro to VillarFormoso.A days driving to do about 120 miles to the border.
The mountain was high enough to see what the airline pilots were having for lunch.

Went to the Parrot bar a few times sat watching English telly with Portuguese subtitles, the phone charges were how they worked out how to charge for cell phones the rates would be about the same. remember loading paper down at Setubal if my memory is working and leaving late Friday night early Saturday morning with the instruction that it had to be delivered Monday no sleep there then. When I tell drivers here about the roads in Portugal and Spain ( IP5 and Irun to Pamplona to name 2) they don’t believe that roads can be that interesting to drive. I remember a one guy on B/I called Carl we had to load at a aerosol can makers in Bilbao. We pitched up late in the evening decided to get our heads down ,just got comfy when the guard from the factory came out to tell us it was not a safe place to stop, so we both catnapped in the seat all night. I went on to Seabrook after that and spent a couple of years just doing France wine collections great time easy life as well I would go back to them days if I could much better attitude from fellow drivers and Bosses.

I pulled for Bob Garnett and Paul Fogden T/a Freight Transfer.Both did Motivo drops for Jcb tractors.High in the trailer roof.
Funny how the Portuguese drivers could drop their trailer on the bay all night but only foreign drivers that had to move the truck all night.
Fast asleep.Bang on door.Open trailer sides for long pallet or tube/pipe to go on.
The old road from Pamplona to Irun was dangerous.In ice and snow the bum hole was twitching like the neighbours net curtains.
No Abs back then and fully freighted.
Leave Porto 11 am Saturday for a 8 am delivery monday in the Uk.How we never fell asleep and crash is a miracle.

toby1234abc:
I pulled for Bob Garnett and Paul Fogden T/a Freight Transfer.Both did Motivo drops for Jcb tractors.High in the trailer roof.
Funny how the Portuguese drivers could drop their trailer on the bay all night but only foreign drivers that had to move the truck all night.
Fast asleep.Bang on door.Open trailer sides for long pallet or tube/pipe to go on.
The old road from Pamplona to Irun was dangerous.In ice and snow the bum hole was twitching like the neighbours net curtains.
Leave Porto 11 am Saturday for a 8 am delivery monday in the Uk.How we never fell asleep and crash is a miracle.

I did a few JCBs from Seabrook Int always great fun pulling the tilts back in the dark at the factory especially on a cold frosty night Christ I used to hate them things. What ever happened to Paul Fogden I done a deal with him on one of his troubleliners no need to say who got the better end of that. He gave me a load to Gib as a well but it had to be double handed as someone had forgot it and it was wanted at the then new safeways should have known better don’t do to well out of that one. still if I remember it was a bit of a laugh. Happy days

thatbrit:

toby1234abc:

I did a few JCBs from Seabrook Int always great fun pulling the tilts back in the dark at the factory especially on a cold frosty night Christ I used to hate them things. What ever happened to Paul Fogden I done a deal with him on one of his troubleliners no need to say who got the better end of that. He gave me a load to Gib as a well but it had to be double handed as someone had forgot it and it was wanted at the then new safeways should have known better don’t do to well out of that one. still if I remember it was a bit of a laugh. Happy days

Yeah as mentioned before Toby, I did a stint for Foggy in the late 90’s when he was trading as Internation Express, Mogley was in the office then and we was doing Spain, Gibralta and Portugal with JCB’s and the usual groupage loads home. All done straight though which made a change. I did however know Foggy in the late 80’s when he had just one truck, a Daf 3300 IIRC. Foggy as far as I know was last seen pulling for Davies Turner doing Morroco with his own Magnum.

Pete

A driver called Carl with BI once said he would never go abroad.He was parked up in the Basque srea of Spain when all hell broke loose.
The ETA terror group were having a fire fight with the police.With bullets whizzing past.
He had blonde hair and bad acne.Is that the same Carl?

Hello, I am Ray Smyth,ex Robert Baillie,Portsmouth. Is Steve Ansell related to Mick Ansell,who was in the office
at Baillies, Horndean ■■

I suppose Lee on Solent/Gosport qualifies for here

Ray Smyth:
Hello, I am Ray Smyth,ex Robert Baillie,Portsmouth. Is Steve Ansell related to Mick Ansell,who was in the office
at Baillies, Horndean ■■

Hi Ray,

Yes Steve is Mick’s son,I think he has his own unit and pulls for Freight Transport Railway Triangle

Regards
Richard

Hello Richard/Maggie D,Thank you for your reply. I am a latecomer to laptops & anything digital,and only recently have I found
TrucknetUK. I had a reply from Fergie47/David Phillips in response to my request for info re Robert Baillie Transport,and now
your reply,Thanks to you both. My updated email is raysmyth6644@gmail.com

Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Big John’s SCANIA

DSCN1796.JPG

gazzer:
Big John’s SCANIA

Good looking fleet Dean has there!!

RS HIll

gazzer:
RS HIll

Best firm I ever worked for!!

Ian (Chip) Bernie who did SCAC traction work for Maggs out of the Continental Ferry Terminal, Pompey back in the 80/90’s.

I Started a Robert Baillie, Portsmouth thread last December,and it now has many pictures
of Robert Baillie lorries, mainly from Tim Walker, Eddie Heaton, and Molly Phipps,
Many Thanks, Ray Smyth.

thatbrit:
Anyone remember any of these guys and companies.
Eagleway Freight
Steve Ansell and his dog (the Pasty eating Ridgeback)
Seabrooks
Hayes of Fareham Dave Curry and John Heather
Mike Stowe Transfreight Europa in the coal yard hilsea
Portsdown Chris Small
Grubby and Ken Clark
John Pople
Marty Ruffle
Theres a start there most be a load more and some printable storys to go with them

What about Spring Road Transport ( Ken Lane) their nick name was Bacardi International, they were behind Hays Transport in Fort Wallington

John Pople , did he run a few trucks on Portuguese round trips ?
Very tidy blue Volvo F12, s , had a heart attack in Portugal while driving, and left the road through the barrier but sadly died .
Alex Harper with a 142 , he had a Polio arm, he had an incident with an irate car driver in France, and the car driver threatened to pull Alex out of the cab .
A few Brit drivers asked the Gendarmes where he lived, and lets say , he got a good "talking " to .
Irish Dave Brooker, ran his own truck on Portuguese runs, fixed them at the road side.

toby1234abc:
John Pople , did he run a few trucks on Portuguese round trips ?
Very tidy blue Volvo F12, s , had a heart attack in Portugal while driving, and left the road through the barrier but sadly died .
Alex Harper with a 142 , he had a Polio arm, he had an incident with an irate car driver in France, and the car driver threatened to pull Alex out of the cab .
A few Brit drivers asked the Gendarmes where he lived, and lets say , he got a good "talking " to .
Irish Dave Brooker, ran his own truck on Portuguese runs, fixed them at the road side.

John Pople. Now there’s a name that leaves me with a nasty taste in me mouth. Still alive and cheating everyone. Worked with him on MMD. When he left there he started up Airline Services. Doing private hire. When I retired I started with him. After a few months he had me over for two grand. Still waiting to see him crossing the road. No luck so far! A lesson well learned. I know he did a bit of traction for Seabrook.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing: