Portsmouth/Fareham Companies

carryfast-yeti:
The ‘Grubby’ referred to,is that Les Driver,formerly from the Wigston,Leicester area?

I do believe it is one and the same person. Had his own transport company going ,well liked by his drivers into his motor bikes as well. I remember him telling me about the time he took his chopped Triumph to the factory they looked at him like he just rode a Honda in there.

thatbrit:
Anyone remember any of these guys and companies.
Eagleway Freight
Steve Ansell and his dog (the Pasty eating Ridgeback)
Seabrooks
Hayes of Fareham Dave Curry and John Heather
Mike Stowe Transfreight Europa in the coal yard hilsea
Portsdown Chris Small
Grubby and Ken Clark
John Pople
Marty Ruffle
Theres a start there most be a load more and some printable storys to go with them

This photo has been posted before on the Soton thread.
I drove this Marathon for Mick Hayes from Fareham but dont remember Dave Curry or John Heather.
The only John i recall was John Budd who last time i saw him a few years ago was driving for Boarhunt.

I also used to drive for Luckets in Wallington when they were doing Schweppes work, ICI fertiliser and a bit of general.
Many years now of course since they ran lorries…but still running coaches.

Lucketts when they had lorries now thats going back abit. I bet Dave Luckett is sad that he never stayed with them , who knows Lucketts might have been successfull LOL.
John Budd had some lorries about the same time as me I remember a couple of his drivers, Chris who used to drive for Peter Hayes ( Micks brother) and Frank Collins.
Dave Curry and John Heather drove for Peter& Shirley out of the industrial park in Fareham and later from CPGs Hilsea warehouse.
I followed Mick Hayes down to Spain he was about a day in front but I knew where he was by the tabs behind the bar he would pay them off on the way back.
As different as chalk and cheese mick and peter though I worked for Peter & Shirley when they were running Hayes of Fareham ,Bert used come in the office every day and tell his storys, good times.A whole different world now most bosses have not got the time to talk to you and many over here don’t know how to they just talk at you.

thatbrit:
Anyone remember any of these guys and companies.
Eagleway Freight
Steve Ansell and his dog (the Pasty eating Ridgeback)
Seabrooks
Hayes of Fareham Dave Curry and John Heather
Mike Stowe Transfreight Europa in the coal yard hilsea
Portsdown Chris Small
Grubby and Ken Clark
John Pople
Marty Ruffle
Theres a start there most be a load more and some printable storys to go with them

John Pople eh! Now theres a name. I worked with him at MMD.Later when he started up the taxi firm,I went with him.I worked day and night for two years and at the parting of the ways he had me over for 2k.Lovely man.Straight as a dogs hind leg.Live long and prosper John.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

I never said he was a nice person he had me over as well and I’m sure a few others ,but live and learn by our mistakes (hopefully)

Very true young man.Ive lived and learnt.Just nice to get it off my chest.I know that Im not the only one.I wish I knew how he does it.Stay lucky mate.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

few memory joggers; bob marsh (RAC marsh and then as ROTEAM), chris davison, short & groom, “sonner” jordon, bob HT hughes, arther porter & windebanks, MMD, commodore shipping, gus hayes, maybanks, privets, chalmers, maxi`s motel. two brothers that ran SK mercs b4 trading them in 4 2 white roadcommanders. 1lived at the top of wooferton rd just round the corner from me, the other in wymering. (YOUNGS on the A32 at fareham were dealers 4 white at the end of the seventies)

YOGI-62:
few memory joggers; bob marsh (RAC marsh and then as ROTEAM), chris davison, short & groom, “sonner” jordon, bob HT hughes, arther porter & windebanks, MMD, commodore shipping, gus hayes, maybanks, privets, chalmers, maxi`s motel. two brothers that ran SK mercs b4 trading them in 4 2 white roadcommanders. 1lived at the top of wooferton rd just round the corner from me, the other in wymering. (YOUNGS on the A32 at fareham were dealers 4 white at the end of the seventies)

Hi Yogi-62,

I remember Short & Groom, one of their drivers,a son of either Short or Groom had an accident one winters morning on the A36 at Codford when you had to go through the village before the by pass he rolled his truck and commodore box into the pond there and unfortunately died RIP, this must have been about 1978.

Also remember Chris Davidson from Clanfield and Jock who drove for him, Bob Merrick from Hughes lives near Wylie in Wiltshire I think,and the guy selling the Whites I think it was Roger, my mate’s White he sold him had the same reg.no. as an Alfa Romeo :unamused: :unamused: :blush:

Arthur Porter is still around, do you remember that ERF 6 wheeler rigid he had ?

Regards
Richard

Blimey remember some of them names, did some work for Chris Davison (RIP), Chris Small (still see him) and Mick Stowe at Transfreight Europa. I still see Bob Browning. Best job I had was for RS Hills working with Alan Hall (Solutions) Tom Burns and John (Animal) Smith great, great days!!

Pete

It was Roger hunt that was selling the road commanders up at fareham with another guy called martin i believe,id hear a story that some of them where imported with no brakes on the front axle literally! causing a few problems with the ministry, which could be why it had same plates as a Alfa . lol

Just found some pics, see if this works…

thatbrit:

carryfast-yeti:
The ‘Grubby’ referred to,is that Les Driver,formerly from the Wigston,Leicester area?

I do believe it is one and the same person. Had his own transport company going ,well liked by his drivers into his motor bikes as well. I remember him telling me about the time he took his chopped Triumph to the factory they looked at him like he just rode a Honda in there.

i know Grubby from our biking days in Leicestershire.Les was a proper Greaser :sunglasses:
anyone know Alan Goddard,a mechanic/fitter worked with me at Carryfast.North Kilworth. Al moved back down to Pompey sometime after our depot closed in the '80’s.

Peter 1961:

Just found some pics, see if this works…

Had a double take when I saw R S Hill 1735 in Pentagon Mercedes Fareham,about six weeks ago, it looked like it had been for mot.
Kind regards Mark

Took a photo, trying to work out how to upload them

Yeah they still have one, used for farm duties and for the odd mobile home…

Pete

Found some more. When I was an OD, taken somewhere in Spain IIRC

Pete

Thatbrit,Did you work for British International.
The office in Sholing with Tim Allan and Peter Taplin.
Their Porto office with Manuella in charge.
I worked with John Povey, a scouser.
Peter Stainbridge aka Jelly Legs.Wore a white collared shirt and black trousers all year.
Ken Hughes.Ex Army lad.Tall with moustache.
I was owner driver with BI.

toby1234abc:
Peter Stainbridge aka Jelly Legs.Wore a white collared shirt and black trousers all year.

I did a couple of trips with John Poveys Truck when he was on B.I. I remember Jelly Legs, Alan Jerram was a O/O at the same time along with a a father and son pair. I bumped into John a couple of times since then heard he had got his self into a bit of bother but it must be 15 years since I seen him I guess, time just goes by.

toby1234abc:

I did a couple of trips with John Poveys Truck when he was on B.I. I remember Jelly Legs, Alan Jerram was a O/O at the same time along with a a father and son pair. I bumped into John a couple of times since then heard he had got his self into a bit of bother but it must be 15 years since I seen him I guess, time just goes by.

Most likely that you went in the parrot bar or Ricardo’s.It was next to the BI office in Porto by Leca de Palmeria docks.
The phone in the cafe was a rip off.
Or the Atlantico on the beach.A lot parked there.Loading all night on a friday.Then the dreaded IP 5 from Aveiro to VillarFormoso.A days driving to do about 120 miles to the border.
The mountain was high enough to see what the airline pilots were having for lunch.

Found some more… Loading tiles, Castellon area I would think…