Peak District.

Punchy Dan:
0a hand lay job to excite mr windrush :blush:

Only a few cwt there Dan, a couple of barrow loads and half an hours work for those lads on General Asphalte to get that down and rolled. I suppose you are hankering after some daywork at around Ā£40 per hour though? Canā€™t beat that, I could sit there all day!:lol:

Pete.

image.jpegWant your drive tarmacing mr :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
0Want your drive tarmacing mr :laughing:

Oi will guarantee Sur that it will take more than three months for the dandelions to sprout and if we are back in the area we will, of course, rectify any problems ( i.e. Weā€™ll be 300 ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  moil away !) Now , can we ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  you to the nearest Cash Point as you canā€™t be too careful nowadays ! Cheers Dennis.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
0Want your drive tarmacing mr :laughing:

Oi will guarantee Sur that it will take more than three months for the dandelions to sprout and if we are back in the area we will, of course, rectify any problems ( i.e. Weā€™ll be 300 [zb] moil away !) Now , can we ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  you to the nearest Cash Point as you canā€™t be too careful nowadays ! Cheers Dennis.

Donā€™t know if itā€™s been posted before :confused:
But anyone got anymore info on these or remember them, a pic I picked up at Gaydon :laughing:

Have a look on the Deanb thread m8 thereā€™s a bit on there about mr knight .

Punchy Dan:

Is that on this forum ?
Back on Lomas by the way :unamused:

gunnerheskey:

Punchy Dan:

Is that on this forum ?
Back on Lomas by the way :unamused:

Yes m8 look on the Paul C Gee ,Deanb thread ,lomasā€™s again :open_mouth:

One from the Jug and Glass Gang

Tony

IMG_3612.JPG

rastone:

Tony

Mmm, that canā€™t be either Roy Derbyshire or John Wayne as they were never waiting that long to tip! :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:

rastone:

Tony

Mmm, that canā€™t be either Roy Derbyshire or John Wayne as they were never waiting that long to tip! :laughing:

Pete.

My apology To John as he sent me this picture so it is by the courtesy of him.Iā€™ve asked a lot of them but theyā€™ve many pics but as usual stored in the loft.

rastone:

windrush:

rastone:

Tony

Pete.

My apology To John as he sent me this picture so it is by the courtesy of him.Iā€™ve asked a lot of them but theyā€™ve many pics but as usual stored in the loft.

Haha, yes it is John! He must have been having a bad day then sitting there browning his right arm and earning nowt while doing it! :wink: An ā€˜in jokeā€™ at Ballidon was that the ā€˜Breadvan ladsā€™ got all the best work, but they also did their fair share of waiting around just like the rest of us on the black stuff with plenty of late finishes and ruined tea! That pic is from before they stretched them to 26 tonnes as the wheelbase is still as standard, and then the goalposts were changed and they didnā€™t need stretching after all! :unamused:

Pete.

I wonder how long some of todayā€™s drivers would last if you took the Scanias and Volvos off them and gave them a Cargo to jog round in

malmic:
I wonder how long some of todayā€™s drivers would last if you took the Scanias and Volvos off them and gave them a Cargo to jog round in

I wouldnā€™t have wanted to drive one even when they were new Mick! Have to admit that they served their owners well (yourself included) but they just werenā€™t really my cup of tea. :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:

malmic:

I wouldnā€™t have wanted to drive one even when they were new Mick! Have to admit that they served their owners well (yourself included) but they just werenā€™t really my cup of tea. :laughing:

Pete.

I bet they made more brass with them and could work on them in the yard( I suppose some bright spark will say they needed to).Pete did you ever drive one or are you a bit snooty with the blue oval on the grill. If you said you wouldnā€™t want to drive one even when it was new, why.The first ones did have a brake problem though but it did get sorted.I sold a lot to Tarmac for their owner drivers and not just round here but in the North West.
Sign the order here Pete and Iā€™ll include a couple of tanks of Diesel which should be enough for a month

Tony

rastone:
I bet they made more brass with them and could work on them in the yard( I suppose some bright spark will say they needed to).Pete did you ever drive one or are you a bit snooty with the blue oval on the grill. If you said you wouldnā€™t want to drive one even when it was new, why.The first ones did have a brake problem though but it did get sorted.I sold a lot to Tarmac for their owner drivers and not just round here but in the North West.
Sign the order here Pete and Iā€™ll include a couple of tanks of Diesel which should be enough for a month

Tony

No snobbery Tony, I just talked to those drivers (not owners as they spent the money so were biased!) who drove them and felt as though their spine was being pushed through their chest! They did the job OK though and had a decent enough payload, mechanically they were very much the same as the Fodens I drove and maintained so easily repaired without any fancy tackle but I preferred the roomier and comfier sprung Foden cab that didnā€™t rot away after only about ten years! :wink: I did drive one of Paylings 7.5 tonners briefly though, the brakes on that scared me when empty as it felt like it was going to stand on its nose with only gentle pedal pressure. :open_mouth:

Pete.

Cargoes had a good driveline and a very good payload but very little thought was given to the driver who had to spend 10 to 12 hours behind the wheel

malmic:
Cargoes had a good driveline and a very good payload but very little thought was given to the driver who had to spend 10 to 12 hours behind the wheel

Thinking back Mick most of those who I knew that bought them new had previously run Leylands, either Reivers or four wheeler Clydesdales and Freighters, and I suppose the Cargo was just a modern version of a similar vehicle really with no frills and reasonably priced? I donā€™t remember any replacing them with newer Cargoā€™s though?

Edited to say that to be fair, apart from a couple of lads locally, nobody was buying any new tippers from the mid nineties as the job was just starting to go downhill rapidly so no reflection on the Ford.

Pete.

I ran both Clydesdales and Reivers and they both had better cabs than the cargo

Only ever did one day on a Cargo. Never again! It was a 28tonne artic and had very little brakes even when they were cold. In my opinion they were not a patch on the two D-series I had.