Peak District.

Thanks Pete.I did a search and this is what I found about Permanite.

Permanite were an Asphalt contractor based in Matlock. The process of creating asphalt involves the combination of aggregate, bitumen and sand.

‘The plant took powdered limestone, from several of the local quarries and mixed it with hot bitumen emulsion that was brought down from the refineries of Ellesmere port - this being a by product of the fuel oil refining process.

Mixed the tar / limestone solution was poured into metal moulds on the floor of the big shed and allowed to solidify, then the back breaking process of manually separating and stacking the cooled blocks could begin. I cant remember how many blocks were produced on each shift, but always remember the men that split and stacked these blocks worked incredibly hard.

During the late 80’s part of the process was mechanised, from memory Permanite spent alot of money on a shiney new plant that would replace the labourers, but it kept breaking down. Eventually the whole operation was sold to a firm called Ruberoid.’

There are currently plans to build houses on the site.

That’s correct Chris. The whole area including both Cawdor and Hall Dale quarries plus the old Permanite site are earmarked for housing. I look down on the whole area from our house.

Pete.

Chris Webb:
I have posted these before on effbook but not on here I don’t think. Given to me by Freddy Morton just before he passed away at his home in Darley Dale.I think there is somebody on here that knows about Permanite,if I’n not mistaken they were based int Matlock area and made those round blocks,like Pitchmastic. Not sure… :unamused:
The Matlock Transport LAD Dodge has a 1958 Derby CBC reg plate.

Probably supplied by Kay’s Either Ted Robinson or most likely Jim Hodgekinson would be the chap they dealt with.Both good blokes

Do any of you remember Harry Coxon,Maurice Coxon, Ken Insley and of course Len Summers was there as a salesman.All these fellers knew what they were talking about.They knew about the motors they were selling without looking at an instruction book.When I left Harrisons after 40 yrs bought me a Parker pen with my name on it which may sound a bit funny to some of you but it’s more than I got from Harrisons.Was taken out to a pub and then was taxed as a benifit in kind.I don’t suppose the other people that came were taxed.I had an offer from someone which I couldn’t refuse but in a way it was a bad move but then I wouldn’t be writing this at 81.Eventually went to Preston’s at Ashbourne and lost the pen in the pit where they topped the petrol deliveries.What a bloody awful place to work.Wouldn’t trust you,no phone and if you were on the phone they wanted to use the one you’d got.Bloody ignorant and I don’t care who knows it.Finished up in Stafford before I retired looking after the commercial dept.When I retired they let me use the car fo a month after.--------Sorry back to the motors

Tony

image.jpegpermanite now owned by iko .

Many of those army type Bedfords in the third pic that Lowe’s (later Matlock Transport) ran were fitted with the Perkins P6 engine and the bonnet and front grille panels were higher to accomodate the taller engine. I’m guessing that they did all or most of Permanite’s haulage at that time?

Pete.

Ayup Peter I think matlock transport had another company called Matlock roofing supplies. The chap in the photo is wessingtons finest Charlie

phop:
Ayup Peter I think matlock transport had another company called Matlock roofing supplies. The chap in the photo is wessingtons finest Charlie
[/quote]

I wonder if that Volvo F86 six wheeler with the crane is still parked at the rear of Charlie’s bungalow Paul?

Pete.

I’ve posted some photos on here before now of a sed Atki in waters yard belonging to mr lomas

Dan,
You have been spotted on the A66, on route to a roping and sheeting course in ■■■■■■■ maybe?
Credit for pic panmanstan.

40734168001_6bcafc70c3_b.jpg

pete smith:
Dan,
You have been spotted on the A66, on route to a roping and sheeting course in ■■■■■■■ maybe?

Thanks Pete ,I’ll leave the course for those that carry white goods and paper ect ,most of our loads are for heavy industry and don’t really need sheeting :laughing:

image.jpeg

Punchy Dan:

pete smith:
Dan,

Thanks Pete ,I’ll leave the course for those that carry white goods and paper ect ,most of our loads are for heavy industry and don’t really need sheeting :laughing:

Ah ha, I got the wrong end of the stick there then lads! I thought that Dan was actually running the course on sheeting and roping to show the locals how it should be done, my mistake entirely and apologies for any upset caused. :blush:

Pete.

Punchy Dan:

Hi Dan,
They look like stub axles on the rear of the trailer and final drive hubs in front of them? Some good lumps on there mate!

windrush:

Punchy Dan:

pete smith:
Dan,

Ah ha, I got the wrong end of the stick there then lads! I thought that Dan was actually running the course on sheeting and roping to show the locals how it should be done, my mistake entirely and apologies for any upset caused. :blush:

Pete.

ROF runs the courses Pete…well he receives the payments!

Well ROF is a poor pensioner like myself Pete, any extra income he can obtain is welcome to keep the Wolf from his door. Alas I have no such skills from my driving/fitting time to fall back on to pass onto the youngsters of today so just have to scrape along in life on a Government pension like many other folk. :cry: Sad,and I know you all feel sorry for me, but that’s life! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:
Well ROF is a poor pensioner like myself Pete, any extra income he can obtain is welcome to keep the Wolf from his door. Alas I have no such skills from my driving/fitting time to fall back on to pass onto the youngsters of today so just have to scrape along in life on a Government pension like many other folk. :cry: Sad,and I know you all feel sorry for me, but that’s life! :wink:

Pete.

Having met the gentleman a couple times I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s all a front , chugging round in the ageing Berlingo and the frequent trips to his homeland to live off the sprog . Not to mention the profits from the allotment produce , and his overpriced roping and sheeting course . I’m expecting the bailiffs at the door as it’s my turn to buy breakfast and I think he’s getting impatient now .

rigsby:
Having met the gentleman a couple times I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s all a front , chugging round in the ageing Berlingo and the frequent trips to his homeland to live off the sprog . Not to mention the profits from the allotment produce , and his overpriced roping and sheeting course . I’m expecting the bailiffs at the door as it’s my turn to buy breakfast and I think he’s getting impatient now .

Ah, you have the advantage over me then Dave in that you have actually met the ‘Lord Mayor of Macc’ and I haven’t. Actually, apart from Malmic and 1970 Commer, (neither of whom appear on here much nowadays), I haven’t met anyone from this forum! :blush: Do all these folk really exist I wonder? :confused: :wink:

Pete.

windrush:

rigsby:

Ah, you have the advantage over me then Dave in that you have actually met the ‘Lord Mayor of Macc’ and I haven’t. Actually, apart from Malmic and 1970 Commer, (neither of whom appear on here much nowadays), I haven’t met anyone from this forum! :blush: Do all these folk really exist I wonder? :confused: :wink:

Pete.

I’m still here Pete, just busy in the same profession as you, keeping wolves away from doors.

I’ve just loaded today ready for a Sunday set off for a drop just below Glasgow on Monday at 8am.

I had the company of Malmic a couple of Sunday’s ago, he’d just been to see how the other half live (looking at Richard Leedham’s fleet in his yard next door to me)

1970commer:
I’m still here Pete, just busy in the same profession as you, keeping wolves away from doors.

I’ve just loaded today ready for a Sunday set off for a drop just below Glasgow on Monday at 8am.

I had the company of Malmic a couple of Sunday’s ago, he’d just been to see how the other half live (looking at Richard Leedham’s fleet in his yard next door to me)

Pleased to know that you are still out there earning a crust Robert, it all helps to keep us OAP’s bank accounts topped up! Just come back home from a week in Scotland myself, could have taken the load for you and got paid for being on holiday, yet another opportunity missed. :cry: Young Michael could perhaps use a sub as well, bowling isn’t a cheap pastime thee knows! :laughing: Oh and what’s this about ‘Quick Tip Leedham’ having a fleet then, is he trying to be Longfords version of ‘Steady Eddie’ and if so he must be rolling in the readies by now? :open_mouth:

Pete.

As Rigsby will confirm, I’m not just a figment of the imagination, I’m still trying to stay alive on a state pension, doing without breakfast as my so-called pal keeps malingering in t’Peaks, avoiding his turn. And I haven’t run one of my Overpriced R&S courses for ages. I’m coming to the conclusion that it may be the fault of a chap called Broadbent who reckons his idea of some sort of plastic curtain will soon do away with R&S altogether. Seems he’s in league with one of those infamous ■■■■■■■■ hauliers ( no, not THAT one) to make sure I go down the pan. I must admit that I have noticed one or two of these infernal inventions on the roads lately but I, personally don’t think that they look anywhere near as safe as a well-sheeted and roped load. Let’s hope the idea never catches on- after all I have made a considerable investment in setting up my business: an aging French van and a couple of yards of sisal rope don’t come cheaply.