Peak District.

sudbury services perhaps ?

image.jpegMiddlepeak wharf .

Hillhead Quarries Buxton laying pavements.

Would anyone have any photo’s of the Bedford QL lime spreader’s run by Sam Longson in the 1960’s ?

John

Hi Johnny 51
If you type in Sam Longson in the search box at the top it will bring up everything about Longsons on this thread there are a few photos of his motor amongst it, like this one

Stanfield:
Hi Johnny 51
If you type in Sam Longson in the search box at the top it will bring up everything about Longsons on this thread there are a few photos of his motor amongst it, like this one

Thanks Stanfield, I’ve always being fascinated by the Bedford QL for as long as I can remember !
I think it was something to do with the scream’in transfer boxe’s and the howl’in military tyre’s !

Our local gaswork’s ran a fleet of them with tank bodie’s,( looked a bit like the RAF refuellers) which were used to spray nitrogen fertiliser on
the field’s of local farm’s.

John

natgould.org/walter_henry_phillips_1892-1979,

found these headlamps in a wirksworth shop ,look like 7 inch ? One is a steel back the other plastic , women asking £10 for the two including everything in the box .

Stanfield:
Hi Johnny 51

I believe that this was the way that Stobart started out,lime spreading,may be wrong.

David

Stanfield:
Are these still operating today anyone know?

See them regularly, live at Sudbury.

pyewacket947v:

rastone:

pyewacket947v:
Mention of Cubley reminded me of the time i passed the Howard Arms heading south, must have been at the end of the 60s
The road between the pub and Springfield garage was still little more than a lane, or so it seemed.
We used to call it the Cubley Snake.
A short distance in and i came across a Barlow and Hodgekinson Foden 8 legger on the brow of a rise with the front modified.
Sat on top of the hedge in front of it was a ,i believe, a Austin Maxi, remember them.? and another rep mobile parked behind it.
In fact i think the Maxi was new and the first one i had seen. The Maxi driver had taken a hefty smack in the teeth and was bleeding down his shirt.
Now, it just so happened that this very same pair of cars had overtaken me on a blind bend at the top of Clifton Hill, the old twisty hill before it was bypassed, both where driving like idiots.
The Barlow driver told me that the pair where trying to blame him for the accident, each backing the other up of course.
Well my arrival on the scene and my description of the pairs antics the other side of the old airfield put a different take on things.
I dont remember the Barlow drivers name, though we passed each other countless times afterwards. I do remember that he always seemed to wear distinctive check shirts.
I have a vague notion that someone told me he was actually German and his name may have been Dave.
That could be a senior moment though.
Ring any bells with anyone ■■

Don Wain kept the Howard Arms for a while

]
and now Think Ronnie Wood lives there from whatever groupe he was in .He costomises the Doveridge Post Office now and again

Tony

Was that the same Don Wain,(Wayne) that had a Seddon 13/4 ?, dark blue i think it was.

Roy Wood (from the group Wizzard) lives at the Howard Arms. Only driver for Barlow’s who was German as far as I remember was Herbert(I think) Weise

Pretty sure that it was Herman Weiss at Barlows? I didn’t know him personally but heard folk talk about him.

Pete.

windrush:
Pretty sure that it was Herman Weiss at Barlows? I didn’t know him personally but heard folk talk about him.

Pete.

Could be, knew him pretty well, dad worked with him for many years.

Punchy Dan:
0found these headlamps in a wirksworth shop ,look like 7 inch ? One is a steel back the other plastic , women asking £10 for the two including everything in the box .

Hi Dan. Well that sounds like a good deal eh :smiley:

Danne

Couple of pics of quarries south of Buxton. This first is Dowlow before its Steetley days late 60s and the second is the old Beswicks Lime works in Staveley days of '74.

Pottypeg:

pyewacket947v:

rastone:

pyewacket947v:
Mention of Cubley reminded me of the time i passed the Howard Arms heading south, must have been at the end of the 60s
The road between the pub and Springfield garage was still little more than a lane, or so it seemed.
We used to call it the Cubley Snake.
A short distance in and i came across a Barlow and Hodgekinson Foden 8 legger on the brow of a rise with the front modified.
Sat on top of the hedge in front of it was a ,i believe, a Austin Maxi, remember them.? and another rep mobile parked behind it.
In fact i think the Maxi was new and the first one i had seen. The Maxi driver had taken a hefty smack in the teeth and was bleeding down his shirt.
Now, it just so happened that this very same pair of cars had overtaken me on a blind bend at the top of Clifton Hill, the old twisty hill before it was bypassed, both where driving like idiots.
The Barlow driver told me that the pair where trying to blame him for the accident, each backing the other up of course.
Well my arrival on the scene and my description of the pairs antics the other side of the old airfield put a different take on things.
I dont remember the Barlow drivers name, though we passed each other countless times afterwards. I do remember that he always seemed to wear distinctive check shirts.
I have a vague notion that someone told me he was actually German and his name may have been Dave.
That could be a senior moment though.
Ring any bells with anyone ■■

Don Wain kept the Howard Arms for a while

]
and now Think Ronnie Wood lives there from whatever groupe he was in .He costomises the Doveridge Post Office now and again

Tony

Was that the same Don Wain,(Wayne) that had a Seddon 13/4 ?, dark blue i think it was.

Roy Wood (from the group Wizzard) lives at the Howard Arms. Only driver for Barlow’s who was German as far as I remember was Herbert(I think) Weise

Thanks for all that.
interesting background to a previous life.
Cheers all

Stanfield:
These are already on here somewhere but know harm in seeing them again.Not my photos by the way :blush:

Foden 8 wheeler of Bernard Swain’s 767 RRB went to Midlands Storage at West Hallam. Spent the rest of it’s life carrying coal and bricks. It was the last wagon I serviced and relined the brakes on as an apprentice before I moved North. Sad that I am but it has always been my favourite lorry even though I’m 67.

John Biesty Ltd taken over by Staveley Industries 1973. Dont think they kept this on the fleet for any length of time if at all.