PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Poole carnival.

John Weaver F12. Did factory removals mainly.

S.J.Keen heavy haulage from Verwood. We have had a few of his Volvo’s and Scanias on here.

Driving School DAF.

Dave Simms lived opposite me for a few years and was an owner driver who operated Foden tippers for years. We have had
a few on here.Think this was his last motor before he retired.

F.G.Diment operated all Seddon Atkinsons and were coal merchants based in the middle of a housing estate in Bournemouth.
We have had several of there 8 wheeler bulkers on here. Long gone now.

Unigate Foden who had a depot in Poole surrounded by houses.Long gone now.

Think John Watkins was an owner driver.Tidy Scania.

We have had loads of Elliotts motors from Bournemouth on here. Did alot of steel and timber from Poole docks.

Ken Oak Transport Scania from Poole.

Coopers of Wessex Renault. Look like a brewery motor ?

Some odds and sods.

Click on pages twice to read.

Wilcox trailers.Imagine Pete Smith & Kempston will have used these.

Daz, Bourton Transport from 1965.

routeman bourton 65 ppg.PNG

Grocott 1977.

E.F & E.O.Williams from North Wales 1984.

wales williams 84 ppg.PNG

Stacey & Son from Chesnut. 1976.

Morning Dean.
The solo Volvo is YGM 623L and the Strathclyde liveried artic is YGM 622L,Motherwell and Wishaw plates,so looks very much like the solo unit is ex Strathclyde.

Anyone know where the Millmove DAF is from ■■
Hi Dean they’re from Lydney.
Oily

Forest Mark Hobbs 7294639220_afcc64f995_k jpg.jpg

Forest Lee Bristol cc by sa 2.0 7183238183_d3e8ccecda_LB o.jpg

Here’s another Strathclyde Volvo YGM 621L. Les.

Crikey that’s going back a bit Dean :laughing: the middle photo is one of Ray Joyner’s who used to do all of Shanks work out of London, not sure if the one in Shanks colours is also actually one of Joyner’s. one of my mates drove for Joyner’s but when shanks decided to take it back in house he switched to shanks, did all right for himself and became a site manager at Stewartby landfill site which was quite a cushy job!

DEANB:
Some odds and sods.

Click on pages twice to read.

Wilcox trailers.Imagine Pete Smith & Kempston will have used these.

Grocott 1977.

E.F & E.O.Williams from North Wales 1984.

Stacey & Son from Chesnut. 1976.

Some cracking articles and pictures you have put up on this thread today Dean in the odds and sods also a great shot of the Bourton Routeman bulk feed tipper thanks for the tag buddy lovely work from you guys as always Many thanks Daz :smiley:

DEANB:
Poole carnival.

John Weaver F12. Did factory removals mainly.

S.J.Keen heavy haulage from Verwood. We have had a few of his Volvo’s and Scanias on here.

Driving School DAF.

Dave Simms lived opposite me for a few years and was an owner driver who operated Foden tippers for years. We have had
a few on here.Think this was his last motor before he retired.

F.G.Diment operated all Seddon Atkinsons and were coal merchants based in the middle of a housing estate in Bournemouth.
We have had several of there 8 wheeler bulkers on here. Long gone now.

Unigate Foden who had a depot in Poole surrounded by houses.Long gone now.

Think John Watkins was an owner driver.Tidy Scania.

We have had loads of Elliotts motors from Bournemouth on here. Did alot of steel and timber from Poole docks.

Ken Oak Transport Scania from Poole.

Coopers of Wessex Renault. Look like a brewery motor ?

These were the days Dean when the carnivals were great seeing all the different floats and trucks happy days them were our Finchley carnival used to do the same thing ever year around and its was always nice to see it but now days its not the same any more probably due to health and safety reasons :slight_smile:

These were the days Dean when the carnivals were great seeing all the different floats and trucks happy days them were our Finchley carnival used to do the same thing ever year around and its was always nice to see it but now days its not the same any more probably due to health and safety reasons :slight_smile:
[/quote]
The cost of insurance has, to a great degree, stopped all sorts of events, sometimes the cost of policing, H & S but also the fact, I think, that so many youngsters seem disinterested in anything that isn’t on a phone screen and allows them to sit and stare at it as though mesmerised… Perhaps explains why so many are simply so fat nowadays.

Dipster:
These were the days Dean when the carnivals were great seeing all the different floats and trucks happy days them were our Finchley carnival used to do the same thing ever year around and its was always nice to see it but now days its not the same any more provbably due to health and safety reasons :slight_smile:

The cost of insurance has, to a great degree, stopped all sorts of events, sometimes the cost of policing, H & S but also the fact, I think, that so many youngsters seem disinterested in anything that isn’t on a phone screen and allows them to sit and stare at it as though mesmerised… Perhaps explains why so many are simply so fat nowadays.
[/quote]
Yes Bedford has a river festival every two years in normal circumstances, a huge event over the weekend supposedly only second in size to the Notting Hill Carnival. They still have the floats parading through the town and finishing down the river embankment (best part of Bedford) but no where near as big as it used to be, I’ve driven a float in it twice but as well as the aforementioned reasons for their decline, the companies, certainly in Bedford have gone now, W.H.Allen, George Fischer, Meltis, London Brick and the list goes on.

scan0119.jpg

During the 80’s/90’s we had IIRC up to 20 artics in the old Kendal Torchlight Processions but it all fizzled out in the later 90’s and that particular week every September became a nightmare for our traffic office as all our customers and the various clubs we provided floats/tautliners for all wanted their trailers for a couple of days before the Friday night gig ! We eventually had to wind the demand back as it was going to get totally out of hand and we never charged a penny piece either all they did was treat the Drivers who were always willing to drive in the procession. But I can never recall there ever was an insurance problem during those years but I recall that some Idiot fell off a trailer, ■■■■■■ as a newt and fractured his skull and that was before that artic set off from the Show ground at the start of the procession ! Cheers Bewick.

I drove a 7.5 tonne Cargo curtainsider belonging to a local fruit and veg merchant in Matlock Bath Carnival back in the eighties. The local primary school used it and asked me to drive it as the driver they had lined up decided at the last minute to drive a Commando for a local pub as they promised him free ale all day. :unamused: We won first prize and the kids wrote me a nice letter of thanks, the brakes were horrible on the Cargo though and you only had to breathe on the pedal and the back wheels locked!

Pete.

Another two shots I dug up of motors we provided for the Torchlight Procession The Scania was brand new in this 1979 shot taken in the Goodacre Carpets factory yard in Kendal and IIRC it was about to be adorned with a dozen scantily clad " Harem Birds" climbing aboard and the then Goodacre Sales Director the late Peter Chadwick was the “Sheik” it was hilarious I can tell you but Peter was always a great sport and got right involved ! and Goodacres were staunch supporters of the event !

Chris Webb:
Morning Dean.
The solo Volvo is YGM 623L and the Strathclyde liveried artic is YGM 622L,Motherwell and Wishaw plates,so looks very much like the solo unit is ex Strathclyde.

Well done Chris,never noticed that ! :laughing: :wink:

oiltreader:
Anyone know where the Millmove DAF is from ■■
Hi Dean they’re from Lydney.
Oily

Thanks for the pics and info Oily. :smiley: :wink:

les-p:
Here’s another Strathclyde Volvo YGM 621L. Les.

Lovely pic Les. :smiley:

Kempston:
Crikey that’s going back a bit Dean :laughing: the middle photo is one of Ray Joyner’s who used to do all of Shanks work out of London, not sure if the one in Shanks colours is also actually one of Joyner’s. one of my mates drove for Joyner’s but when shanks decided to take it back in house he switched to shanks, did all right for himself and became a site manager at Stewartby landfill site which was quite a cushy job!

Thats not going back “Kempston” will pop some proper old stuff on. :laughing: Thanks for the info,Shanks rings a bell. :wink:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

Some odds and sods.

Some cracking articles and pictures you have put up on this thread today Dean in the odds and sods also a great shot of the Bourton Routeman bulk feed tipper thanks for the tag buddy lovely work from you guys as always Many thanks Daz :smiley:

Cheers Daz. :wink:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

Poole carnival.

Indeed they were the days Daz used to like the carnivals. :smiley: People sitting on bales of straw on flat bed trailers and no one thought
nothing of it ,these days would be the end of the world. :frowning:

Dipster:

H & S bugger everything up “Dipster” :unamused:

Kempston:
Yes Bedford has a river festival every two years in normal circumstances, a huge event over the weekend supposedly only second in size to the Notting Hill Carnival. They still have the floats parading through the town and finishing down the river embankment (best part of Bedford) but no where near as big as it used to be, I’ve driven a float in it twice but as well as the aforementioned reasons for their decline, the companies, certainly in Bedford have gone now, W.H.Allen, George Fischer, Meltis, London Brick and the list goes on.

Its a shame so many have disappeared “Kempston” :frowning:

Bewick:
During the 80’s/90’s we had IIRC up to 20 artics in the old Kendal Torchlight Processions but it all fizzled out in the later 90’s and that particular week every September became a nightmare for our traffic office as all our customers and the various clubs we provided floats/tautliners for all wanted their trailers for a couple of days before the Friday night gig ! We eventually had to wind the demand back as it was going to get totally out of hand and we never charged a penny piece either all they did was treat the Drivers who were always willing to drive in the procession. But I can never recall there ever was an insurance problem during those years but I recall that some Idiot fell off a trailer, ■■■■■■ as a newt and fractured his skull and that was before that artic set off from the Show ground at the start of the procession ! Cheers Bewick.

Cracking pics “Bewick” and shows how much work went into some of the floats. :smiley: :wink:

windrush:
I drove a 7.5 tonne Cargo curtainsider belonging to a local fruit and veg merchant in Matlock Bath Carnival back in the eighties. The local primary school used it and asked me to drive it as the driver they had lined up decided at the last minute to drive a Commando for a local pub as they promised him free ale all day. :unamused: We won first prize and the kids wrote me a nice letter of thanks, the brakes were horrible on the Cargo though and you only had to breathe on the pedal and the back wheels locked!

Pete.

Sounds like the kids had a rough ride Pete with those brakes… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Bewick:
Another two shots I dug up of motors we provided for the Torchlight Procession The Scania was brand new in this 1979 shot taken in the Goodacre Carpets factory yard in Kendal and IIRC it was about to be adorned with a dozen scantily clad " Harem Birds" climbing aboard and the then Goodacre Sales Director the late Peter Chadwick was the “Sheik” it was hilarious I can tell you but Peter was always a great sport and got right involved ! and Goodacres were staunch supporters of the event !

Good memories Dennis. :smiley:

Anyone recognise the colour scheme on the Constructor ■■

Looks like an ex London Brick Volvo F7 ?

The Council loved these Fodens.

Anyone know where the S.J.Nicholls Scania 142 is from ■■

British Salt Foden. Posted an article on page 85 for anyone intrested.

Anyone recognise the Bedford TM ■■

Tarmac Leyland mixer.

Dolphin Packaging Volvo F10 globetrotter from Poole.

Think it says Fall on the door which would be one of Dennis Fall’s from Ferndown.

Rugby Cement Foden.

DEANB:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
You have lived in a fair few places Chris. :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve even lived in Oswaldtwistle :wink:

Thats the trouble when you keep geting sacked Chris… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

windrush:

Pete.

I once rode on the back of a D Series 7.5T coal lorry in Bradford in the late 70s, for the Rag Week procession - I guess the Cargo inherited the D Series brakes! I was playing in a band, and it was chaos every time the chap braked

Bewick:

I bet that little Atki 4-wheeler was a start in the Procession, Dennis - run it at idling speed for a couple of hours and then rev it just once, and half of Kendal would be obliterated!! :laughing: :laughing:

I did the Torchlight Procession just once - I think it must have been 1999, and I can’t remember why, as I didn’t have a float. I went up in our newly restored Borderer, I think with the test trailer on the back, had a jolly time parading around the town and then just drove home to Preston, in there with all the trunk men

240 Gardner:

Bewick:

I bet that little Atki 4-wheeler was a start in the Procession, Dennis - run it at idling speed for a couple of hours and then rev it just once, and half of Kendal would be obliterated!! :laughing: :laughing:

I did the Torchlight Procession just once - I think it must have been 1999, and I can’t remember why, as I didn’t have a float. I went up in our newly restored Borderer, I think with the test trailer on the back, had a jolly time parading around the town and then just drove home to Preston, in there with all the trunk men

Hiya Chris, sad to say the Atky 4 wheeler was never involved in the Kendal Torchlight, the shots of it were when it was used in the Arnside carnival
which was, of course, a much smaller “do” !

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the colour scheme on the Constructor ■■

Looks like an ex London Brick Volvo F7 ?

The Council loved these Fodens.

Anyone know where the S.J.Nicholls Scania 142 is from ■■

British Salt Foden. Posted an article on page 85 for anyone intrested.

Anyone recognise the Bedford TM ■■

Tarmac Leyland mixer.

Dolphin Packaging Volvo F10 globetrotter from Poole.

Think it says Fall on the door which would be one of Dennis Fall’s from Ferndown.

Rugby Cement Foden.

Thank you Dean for posting these nice set of mixed photos top stuff as always from you guys on this thread Daz :smiley: