PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

M & S Volvo in the fog.

Iceland DAF.

I thought this was a Cleanaway motor. But looking at it there is a name on the side that i cant make out ■■

Cartwrights Volvo skip truck.

Hanson Iveco mixer.

Think it might be North West Farmers Volvo.

Anyone recognise the “tall” Scania. Looks like the body has been built for a specific job ■■?

McCarthy DAF.

Shropshire Pallets ERF.

Anyone know where the RHP Transport Volvo is from ■■

Some odds and sods.

Click on pages twice to read.

Pete, i am too good to you ! :laughing: I bet you knew these two fellas. :wink:

foden tilcon 77 ppg.PNG

Reurn loads 1967.

Cafe’s 1989.

This fella knew how to holiday. He must have had a few quid back in 1961.

What a bridge !!! :smiley: Been over that a few times.

I can smell the rubber burning. :laughing:

tyre regroover 1979 ppg.PNG

“King of the road” 1965.

Atkinson trucks with Rolls Royce engines in 1968.

DEANB:

dave docwra:
“DEANB”

Yes i agree “Kempston” Paul Gee is always telling me that such and such has bought someone out.He keeps up with the
modern goings on where as i dont. Thanks for the info,that incinerator is at Marchwood i think and thanks for the pic. :wink:

The son of Bullies is operating waste recycling companies in the same colours down in Fareham & Farnborough,

tauruswaste.com

Thanks for that info Dave. :wink: I wondered why Paul had sent me this pic. :laughing:

Kempston:
“DEANB”

Anyone know where the Grant’s DAF is from ■■

Freightroute have a depot in Irthlingborough just off the A45 near where Rushden and Diamonds football ground was. They also have a depot I believe in Poole? Grants bought out Aileys transport from the northants area, so given its pulling a FreightRoute trailer I would guess it’s from somewhere around the northants area, I also think I can remember them doing a lot of work for Weetabix at Burton Latimer near the A14.

Thanks for the info Kempston. :smiley: I dont know if they have a depot in Poole although i have not seen one. :unamused: :wink:

oiltreader:
This photo from the John Wakely Collection who was himself a driver(not with A&J Bull) back then.
Oily

Great pic Oily. :wink:

Ray Smyth:
“DEANB”

Anyone know where the Grant’s DAF is from ■■

Hi Dean, You have been a busy lad again…From memory, I think that the Grants ERF is from the Northampton area, I could be wrong. :wink:

Cheers, Ray.

You know how it is Ray. :unamused: :laughing:

windrush:
I remember when I worked for a BMC dealership replacing some pistons on a HA van belonging to Hond and Langar, the local glaziers. It involved removing the front axle to gain access to the sump and I was laying underneath torquing the big ends up when the wrench slipped and my hand travelled along the crankshaft, removing two fingernails in the process. :unamused: It hurt!

Pete.

Thats sound’s bloody painful Pete,nasty chap i bet the old fingers were throbbing a bit ! :unamused: :wink:

gazsa401:
Good morning Dean
Regarding J Swingler there’s some photos of their Volvos on Flickr
Cheers Gary [emoji106]

Thanks Gary. :wink:

ArcDaz:
“DEANB”

They certainly liked there Foden’s.

Hello Dean you have done a very great job on this thead brilliant pictrues and articles from the old Commercial motor Magazine of A.J. Bull tippers lowloaders and a few of there old classic trucks as well love it Daz Many Thanks again :smiley: :slight_smile:

I miss seeing there motor’s about Daz used to see them around Poole now and then. :wink:

Like wise Dean yes there motor’s did get about in there days :wink:

tribsa:
Hi Dean
Still doing a great job.
The Scania is McMurrarys from Accrington
Aldo Grants now branded Freightroute took over H Young in Eastleigh who have a yard next to the old one as the Young family have let theirs to Biffa

Cheers
Rich

Thanks for the info on those companies,good stuff chap. :smiley: :wink:

dave docwra wrote:
“DEANB”

Yes i agree “Kempston” Paul Gee is always telling me that such and such has bought someone out.He keeps up with the
modern goings on where as i dont. Thanks for the info,that incinerator is at Marchwood i think and thanks for the pic. :wink:

The son of Bullies is operating waste recycling companies in the same colours down in Fareham & Farnborough,

Yes that’s the one, we had at least one lorry a day down there, I used to run down quite a few Saturdays, we’d pick up a container of less hazardous waste from the incinerator plant and run that into a landfill site in the New Forest believe it or not! Can’t remember the name of it but we used to come off the M27 at Brook, turn right and it was around twenty minutes from there, tipped that and ran back to the incinerator plant, reloaded with more hazardous stuff and run out to just before the M27. There was a lay-by there with a hole in the hedge where you could squeeze through and go into the large Tesco’s for breakfast. Back home after that, nice earner on a Saturday! :wink:

Wish the road’s were still this quiet,and no speed camera’s.

Paul went on a bit of a trip back in the 1970’s on his push bike to Wilmslow ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:
Thats a bit of a mission on a bike.

Anyway who can remember where this building was as its sadly been knocked down now ■■

Hall & Co AEC Mandator.

Anyone recognise the Dodge seen here in Poole ■■

Anyone recognise the Scania 110 ■■

About time we had some stuff on earth moving equipment and trucks.

Will be doing a bit about the building of a large flyover in Poole back in the early to mid 1970’s.

Heres a bit on some earth moving equipment from 1958.

Check out the Thornycroft Big Ben dump truck,looks sweet.

Click on pages twice to read.

Still a cracking thread Dean the RHP Volvo does say on the curtainsider RHP Telford Limited so guessing Telford?

DEANB:

Paul went on a bit of a trip back in the 1970’s on his push bike to Wilmslow ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Anyway who can remember where this building was as its sadly been knocked down now ■■

Hall & Co AEC Mandator.

The Wiltshire farmers silos used to be in Melksham. Do i get a bonus point for spotting the Bulwark Seddon ? :slight_smile:
Great pics as always Dean

Yes Dean, I knew the Mooney twins. We ony had a small concrete plant with normally just one truck at Ballidon quarry but when Carsington Water was under construction it was flat out and mixers came in from the Potteries and Buxton to assist so that pair were regulars for a while. We also delivered limestone chippings to the Potteries plants at Tunstall and Fenton and occasionally Crewe (although Roland Young’s from Wales normally did that run) so encountered them there. One passed away a while ago, maybe both have by now?

One day I was sent to our tar plant for 20 tonnes of 40mm base course tarmac for Fenton plant, I assumed they were doing some work on the parking area so never queried it. When I got there the yardman told me to reverse up to the elevator hopper: “I’ve tarmac on you realise?” I said to him. He laughed ‘yes of course you have lad’ and I said “Yes, I really have!” :unamused: . He went to undo the taildoor and I told him to feel the body: “Blimey, it’s hot!!!” :open_mouth: Upshot was that somebody had cocked the order up, it should have been 40 tonne of 20mm chippings. I eventually tipped it at a farm near Waterhouses where the farmer was a mate of the quarry manager at our Kevin quarry. :laughing:

Pete.

DEANB:
M & S Volvo in the fog.

Iceland DAF.

I thought this was a Cleanaway motor. But looking at it there is a name on the side that i cant make out ■■

Cartwrights Volvo skip truck.

Hanson Iveco mixer.

Think it might be North West Farmers Volvo.

Anyone recognise the “tall” Scania. Looks like the body has been built for a specific job ■■?

McCarthy DAF.

Shropshire Pallets ERF.

Anyone know where the RHP Transport Volvo is from ■■

They’re from Telford Dean.

DEANB:

Hall & Co AEC Mandator.

Great photos of the motorways back in the day, god do I wish it was like that nowadays. Used to love driving back then when you could actually stop for a break when you wanted to as opposed busting your arse to get to xxxx before the traffic builds up and thinking it’ll take me 3 hours to get to xxxx as opposed to know idea how long it will take now. So glad I was able to work in that era and enjoy it but also glad I’m retired from it now. I have health problems now and have to make hospital appointments at Papworth and Addenbrooks in Cambridge, just over 30 miles from my house, sometimes takes me 2 hours! How can anyone enjoy stop start from Eaton Socon all the way to Cambridge? I used to be able to get to Ipswich from Bedford in 2 hours!

The red Scania rigid with the high body is Platts and they do sawdust.

Great pics as ever Dean.

Steve

Hi dean,the cleanaway you thought is keyway a big plant operator

37A19362-6DE4-4665-BFCD-BAE7CED4E813.jpeg

146D1A09-B552-417D-A592-7C157A98237C.jpeg

DEANB:

Hall & Co AEC Mandator.

Dean what a fantastic Pictrue of this Hall & Co bulk powder artic tanker AEC Mandator thanks for posting this one chap Regards Daz :slight_smile:

DEANB:
The spoiler maybe a give away us to who operated this Scania ■■

Maritime.JPG

I think that this is the Maritime logo from the pre-John Williams era

Suedehead:
The Scania in the Cotswolds is going through Moreton in Marsh, cant make the name out on the trailer though, could be Granada ?

Yes, that’s the ‘Curfew Tower’ on the left, one of the oldest buildings in town, and within walking distance of my humble abode

DEANB:
Bowker Volvo.

The dreaded white cab is now disappearing gradually from the Bowker fleet, after almost 40 years:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

John williams has gone back to his old man td williams in Bridgend they running maritime trailers along with Tommy’s on rockwool contract

smallcoal:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

John williams has gone back to his old man td williams in Bridgend they running maritime trailers along with Tommy’s on rockwool contract

Blimey, they’re subbing for Maritime?