PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:

Froggy55:
Thanks Dean, for the most interesting article on the 1960 Leyland heavy range!

Heres a brochure about them “Froggy55”. Bit of a bugger to scan as too big for the scanner.

Click on pages twice to read.

Exactly the kind of stuff I love, and which enables me to compare with the specifications of continental trucks of the same time.

Here’s how I do when the documents are too large for my scanner. A good reflex digital camera fitted on an excellent 1970 tripod. Remote control makes it possible to have a very long exposure time.

Tidy looking old wagon & drag, WHAT MAKE IS IT ?Buzzer
It’s a Krupp, here’s another one.
Oily

DEANB:

Froggy55:

Heres a brochure about them “Froggy55”. Bit of a bugger to scan as too big for the scanner.

I took enough time to read every single line of this document with attention. De-misting was still an option on the heavy Leyland range; how did the drivers managed by cold damp weather with the standard cab? The control panel is in the middle of the dashboard. It certainly made it cheaper to fit either RHD or LHD, but probably also likely to give a stiff neck to both British or Overseas drivers!

oiltreader:
Oily

Here are hundreds of Krupp pictures:
myntransportblog.com/tag/krupp/
Some of them were fitted with odd cylinder number (5 or 7) 2-stroke engines quite similar to Fodens.

Froggy55:

DEANB:

Froggy55:

I took enough time to read every single line of this document with attention. De-misting was still an option on the heavy Leyland range; how did the drivers managed by cold damp weather with the standard cab? The control panel is in the middle of the dashboard. It certainly made it cheaper to fit either RHD or LHD, but probably also likely to give a stiff neck to both British or Overseas drivers!

Not many British vehicles had heaters/demisters at that time, I remember when our garage supplied new BMC’s in the late sixties heaters were an option and we used to fit them to new chassis if the customer requested one. Many didn’t bother: “You already have an engine in the cab, why do you want a heater as well?” was a common reply by a gaffer to a driver, many vehicles engaged on local deliveries didn’t bother with one as they never got warmed up anyway. Many British trucks and cars had the controls/speedometer in the centre, BMC FFK/FJK, Ford Trader, ERF etc and many light vans like Morris Minor/ BMC J2/J4 as it made economic sense.

Pete.

Froggy55:

oiltreader:
Oily

Some of them were fitted with odd cylinder number (5 or 7) 2-stroke engines quite similar to Fodens.

I don’t think that they screamed quite like the Foden two-stroke

Froggy55:

DEANB:

Froggy55:

De-misting the windscreen was the least of the problems. Scraping ice of the inside of the windscreen was much more difficult. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Chris Webb:
Morning Dean.
I wonder if the Wincanton Big J was running Styrene into PD Storage at Poole from BP Baglan Bay,a job I did once or twice. :smiley:

Hello Chris, thats an intresting comment about delivering a load of Styrene to Poole. Out of intrest can you remember where PD Storage’s depot
was in Poole ?

My old uncle (90) used to work on Poole docks for a company called Synthetic Rubber Co that had 2 depots in Poole. The main one was
just over the railway lines in Poole docks turn left and first yard on RHS. They also had another depot when you went back over the lifting bridge
on the LHS next door to the BRS depot.

I wondered if you loaded out of Synthetic Rubber or delivered there,as they use to do loads of Styrene he was telling me.
They use to have a pipe that run down to the waters edge where they use to pump if off or on ships. Synthetic Rubber was
eventually sold to an Italian company called ENI.

Pic below shows the Poole depot on the docks. The white tanks on the LHS were Texaco’s depot and at one time a company called
J.R.Wood operated there.

Ray Smyth:
“DEANB”

Blast from the past OTA Iveco.

Hi Dean, I refer to your picture of the OTA International Iveco, on the left of the picture is an AEC Reliance coach
owned by someone in Poole. I recognised the livery straight away, it would have been new to what was then called
Smiths Happiway Spencers of Wigan, later to become Shearings Holidays, now recently, sadly, gone. I have just put
a picture of one of the AEC coaches on the " Buses & Coaches " thread. Cheers, Ray.

You did well to spot that Ray ! :smiley:

Buzzer:
Tidy looking old wagon & drag, Buzzer

Nice pics Buzzer. :smiley: Look at the size of the mirrors !! :laughing: :laughing:

Dennis Javelin:
I think that the coach belonged to Dolphin Coaches who were based at Wimborne when I was a supplier to them. Sadly they called it a day at the end of 2018.

Yes they had a couple of different yards over the years Dennis. Seem to remember they ended up on Stone Lane Ind Estate,Wimborne,which is not the best
of places to turn a long rigid vehicle into ! :laughing: I notice it says Poole on the back of the coach in the pic so i assume they were based in Poole at some
point. :wink:

windrush:
Yes Dean, the Tilcon Foden was new to Ballidon quarry and given to Sam Hambleton who was the first employee back in the days when the first owner of the quarry ran a butchers shop in Ashbourne before he started into quarrying! With it having a white bumper in the pic (they were maroon when new) it was probably driven in that pic by the Late Derek Booth and based then at Kevin quarry in Staffordshire. However Bill Clowes (old stokie on this forum) also had a spell driving it at Kevin before Derek. :wink: I can’t remember if that one had the S40 cab fitted later, the sister truck (TRB 130K) did though.

Pete.

Thanks for the comments Pete. Thats an unusual change of career from a butcher to running a quarry ! :laughing: :laughing:

Froggy55:
“DEANB”] "Froggy55"Thanks Dean, for the most interesting article on the 1960 Leyland heavy range!

Exactly the kind of stuff I love, and which enables me to compare with the specifications of continental trucks of the same time.

Here’s how I do when the documents are too large for my scanner. A good reflex digital camera fitted on an excellent 1970 tripod. Remote control makes it possible to have a very long exposure time.

There are loads of brochures posted on here Froggy if you have a look through the thread. :wink: Thats a serious set up you have there ! :smiley:

oiltreader:
Oily

Nice pic Oily. :wink:

Froggy55:
“DEANB”

It was possible to buy a heater. :smiley:

Advert from 1958.

heater 1958.PNG.jpg

windrush:
“Froggy55”

Not many British vehicles had heaters/demisters at that time, I remember when our garage supplied new BMC’s in the late sixties heaters were an option and we used to fit them to new chassis if the customer requested one. Many didn’t bother: “You already have an engine in the cab, why do you want a heater as well?” was a common reply by a gaffer to a driver, many vehicles engaged on local deliveries didn’t bother with one as they never got warmed up anyway. Many British trucks and cars had the controls/speedometer in the centre, BMC FFK/FJK, Ford Trader, ERF etc and many light vans like Morris Minor/ BMC J2/J4 as it made economic sense.

Pete.

Pete, I can remember an old driver telling me that they use to tie old newspapers around there legs to keep the cold out in the winter as they had no
heaters. :frowning:

gingerfold:
“Froggy55” “oiltreader”“Tidy looking old wagon & drag, WHAT MAKE IS IT ?Buzzer
Oily

Foden 2 stroke brochure.

gingerfold:
“Froggy55”

De-misting the windscreen was the least of the problems. Scraping ice of the inside of the windscreen was much more difficult. :slight_smile: :

I have had cars that used to ice up on the inside ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Sanmar.

J.H.Willis Foden milk tanker.

Falkirk Car Deliveries DAF.

Georges Magnum cattle trucks.

Anyone recognise the ERF ■■? Think there was a company called Cadwallader it could be ■■? (Not Oswestry)

Dont think we have had a Harper Haulage motor on before,anyone know where they were based ■■

HMT Shipping Volvo. Cant remember if we have had one on before.

R.G.Dean DAF. Anyone know where they are from ■■?

Anyone know where the Mor Cross DAF is from ■■?

Dont think we have had a Savage Haulage motor on before ■■

D.A.Cooper DAF from Leeds.

Hello Chris, thats an intresting comment about delivering a load of Styrene to Poole. Out of intrest can you remember where PD Storage’s depot
was in Poole ?

My old uncle (90) used to work on Poole docks for a company called Synthetic Rubber Co that had 2 depots in Poole. The main one was
just over the railway lines in Poole docks turn left and first yard on RHS. They also had another depot when you went back over the lifting bridge
on the LHS next door to the BRS depot.

I wondered if you loaded out of Synthetic Rubber or delivered there,as they use to do loads of Styrene he was telling me.
They use to have a pipe that run down to the waters edge where they use to pump if off or on ships. Synthetic Rubber was
eventually sold to an Italian company called ENI.

Morning Dean.
Sorry,all I remember was the storage place was on Poole Docks somewhere and that I delivered it from BP Chemicals at Baglan Bay.I’m almost sure it was PD Storage,and could well have been stored by them for ISR at Hythe,who we also worked for.PD group took over Corralls,who were fuel merchants,maybe that was it’s former title in Poole.

DEANB:

gingerfold:
“Froggy55”

De-misting the windscreen was the least of the problems. Scraping ice of the inside of the windscreen was much more difficult. :slight_smile: :

I have had cars that used to ice up on the inside ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

I had that problem with icing up in the inside of the windscreen in some old trucks, and also remember I had to drive this 1969 Unic with furred motorcycling boots and gloves, plus a Kway jacket and trousers over a leather jacket some days in winter. At least until the sun dared to shine!

DEANB:

gingerfold:
“Froggy55” “oiltreader”“Tidy looking old wagon & drag, WHAT MAKE IS IT ?Buzzer
Oily

Foden 2 stroke brochure.

I see on your brochure that the displacement of the FD6 is 4.8 litres with a bore of 92 mm. My data mentions 4.1 litres with 85.1 mm bore. So, my question is “was and when was the FD 6 rebored”? Thanks

What happened with SANMAR they seemed to be going great then just gone

Froggy 55 wrote; I see on your brochure that the displacement of the FD6 is 4.8 litres with a bore of 92 mm. My data mentions 4.1 litres with 85.1 mm bore. So, my question is “was and when was the FD 6 rebored”? Thanks

The 4.1lt and 92mm bore data comes from the MkIII FD6 (around the 1950’s), the engine had gone through various uprating changes since its development at the end of WWII with both Turbo and Non Turbo offered, until what seems to be the final product the MkVII B 225bhp version as in the brochure above. The Two Stroke Foden engines don’t seem to have been an option once into the 70’s, maybe it had gone as far as it could or other engine options available made the Two Stroke less desirable. Franky.

Frankydobo:
Froggy 55 wrote; I see on your brochure that the displacement of the FD6 is 4.8 litres with a bore of 92 mm. My data mentions 4.1 litres with 85.1 mm bore. So, my question is “was and when was the FD 6 rebored”? Thanks

The 4.1lt and 92mm bore data comes from the MkIII FD6 (around the 1950’s), the engine had gone through various uprating changes since its development at the end of WWII with both Turbo and Non Turbo offered, until what seems to be the final product the MkVII B 225bhp version as in the brochure above. The Two Stroke Foden engines don’t seem to have been an option once into the 70’s, maybe it had gone as far as it could or other engine options available made the Two Stroke less desirable. Franky.

They were still being produced for The Admiralty in small numbers when we had a factory tour in 1976 Frankie, but not for road vehicle use.

Pete.

Chris Webb:
was in Poole ?

Morning Dean.
Sorry,all I remember was the storage place was on Poole Docks somewhere and that I delivered it from BP Chemicals at Baglan Bay.I’m almost sure it was PD Storage,and could well have been stored by them for ISR at Hythe,who we also worked for.PD group took over Corralls,who were fuel merchants,maybe that was it’s former title in Poole.

Would have been Corralls then Chris as they had a depot at the end of the docks and moved later to the top of the road near the lifting bridge. :wink:

Froggy55:

DEANB:

Froggy55:

I had that problem with icing up in the inside of the windscreen in some old trucks, and also remember I had to drive this 1969 Unic with furred motorcycling boots and gloves, plus a Kway jacket and trousers over a leather jacket some days in winter. At least until the sun dared to shine!

Heres a few bits about Unic’s.

Advert from the French show in 1966.

Click on pages twice.

atlas man:
What happened with SANMAR they seemed to be going great then just gone

Someone may know “atlas man” ,i never realised they were such a large operation. :wink:

Frankydobo:

Good stuff Franky. :smiley:

windrush:
“Frankydobo”

They were still being produced for The Admiralty in small numbers when we had a factory tour in 1976 Frankie, but not for road vehicle use.

Pete.

Cheers Pete. :wink:

Frankydobo:

Probably to do with the noise they made , I lived a street over from a stroker driver and could hear him climbing Axe Edge from our front door 3 miles away .

DEANB:
J.H.Willis Foden milk tanker.

Falkirk Car Deliveries DAF.

Georges Magnum cattle trucks.

Anyone recognise the ERF ■■? Think there was a company called Cadwallader it could be ■■? (Not Oswestry)

Dont think we have had a Harper Haulage motor on before,anyone know where they were based ■■

HMT Shipping Volvo. Cant remember if we have had one on before.

R.G.Dean DAF. Anyone know where they are from ■■?

Anyone know where the Mor Cross DAF is from ■■?

Dont think we have had a Savage Haulage motor on before ■■

D.A.Cooper DAF from Leeds.

Hello DEAN ,RG Dean were from Tetchill near Ellesmere Shropshire ,they mostly hauled out of ABP ,and also their Shrewsbury plant ,thank you Trevor

I never realised they had over 100 motors, I knew they had a few but not that many