PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:
John Antell’s Dreadnought Atkinson from Child Okeford seen here leaving Poole docks.

Is that a Lathams GUY on the RHS ■■

The Atki was new with the famous Alfred Dexter fleet and yes, I would think that looks like a Lathams Guy

oiltreader:
Benfields ERF bulker. Think we have had one on before possibly. Does anyone know where they are from ■■
Yes Dean they had a garage/yard at Deddington Oxfordshire with bulkers mainly carrying coal and were right by the traffic lights on the then main Oxford Coventry road, they were previously at Hook Norton.
Oily

Thanks for the info Oily. :wink:

windrush:
Dyson refractories had a few places making firebricks etc, the closest one to us is just below Owler Bar (Totley I suppose?) on the Derbyshire/South Yorkshire border and is still there.

Pete.

Good stuff Pete ! :wink: I am surprised they are still going if they make fire bricks as you would not think there was much call for
them these days ?

Carryfast:
“DEANB”

Thanks for your comments Pete and “finbarot” regarding engines. I have to say Pete i look at Gardner engines now in a new light. :wink:

Save a penny on fuel costs spend a pound on dodgy engines.:laughing:

Maybe Bewick just doesn’t want to upset his lucrative far eastern customer base.Or maybe they didn’t want to upset him by telling him they only wanted them for anchors not to power their junks. :smiling_imp:

Maybe H was right all along and those output figures are as believable as the reliability and durability myth.Their Dyno was probably just connected to an old water wheel with no water. :bulb: :laughing:

As a kid growing up i was under the impression that the gardner’s were bullet proof but obviously not CF. :wink:

Chris Webb:
"windrush"Dyson refractories had a few places making firebricks etc, the closest one to us is just below Owler Bar (Totley I suppose?) on the Derbyshire/South Yorkshire border and is still there.

Pete.

Yes Pete,just below Owler Bar ont way into Totley and Sheffield.They were formerly called Pickford Holland before Dysons bought them out,their main place was at Loxley Sheffield and they also bought out another refractory brick firm up North East I think,whose name I think was Harrison,from Frosterley Co. Durham…not sure. :confused: :laughing:
One of Dyson’s drivers was called Mick,a real nice bloke,he had an Atki with 180 Gardner and I had one or two lifts with him - I reckon it were t’slowest Atki ever. :grimacing:

Thanks for the input Chris. :wink: “t’slowest Atki ever!” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

240 Gardner:
“DEANB”

John Antell’s Dreadnought Atkinson from Child Okeford seen here leaving Poole docks.

Is that a Lathams GUY on the RHS ■■

The Atki was new with the famous Alfred Dexter fleet and yes, I would think that looks like a Lathams Guy

Thanks for the details Chris. :wink: John was a cracking bloke and i bet he still has all those old Atki’s and traction engines etc.

Dean
Pilwoods were based @ Woodington Mill, East Wellow, Nr Romsey
Ive done many a bag delivery out of there for Pilwoods Animal, Game & Fish Feeds
Jeremy

Dean
Ive done many a bag delivery out of there for Pilwoods Animal, Game & Fish Feeds
Jeremy

Badger:
Dean
Jeremy

Thanks for the info Jeremy. :wink: Just had a look on google maps and does not ring a bell from when i was a kid going in my
grandads trucks. Looks a bit odd with those houses on the rhs of the weighbridge. :smiley:

Chris Webb:

windrush:
Dyson refractories had a few places making firebricks etc, the closest one to us is just below Owler Bar (Totley I suppose?) on the Derbyshire/South Yorkshire border and is still there.

Pete.

Yes Pete,just below Owler Bar ont way into Totley and Sheffield.They were formerly called Pickford Holland before Dysons bought them out,their main place was at Loxley Sheffield and they also bought out another refractory brick firm up North East I think,whose name I think was Harrison,from Frosterley Co. Durham…not sure. :confused: :laughing:
One of Dyson’s drivers was called Mick,a real nice bloke,he had an Atki with 180 Gardner and I had one or two lifts with him - I reckon it were t’slowest Atki ever. :grimacing:

I did a couple of loads to Loxley from Bonneybridge with fireclay , round the houses going in but one of their drivers showed me a winding back lane that came out top end of Rivelin Valley . That was in the early 70s , I wouldn’t lik to try it now . They supplied kiln bricks to ICI at Tunstead

rigsby:
“Chris Webb” “windrush” Dyson refractories had a few places making firebricks etc, the closest one to us is just below Owler Bar (Totley I suppose?) on the Derbyshire/South Yorkshire border and is still there.

Pete.

I did a couple of loads to Loxley from Bonneybridge with fireclay , round the houses going in but one of their drivers showed me a winding back lane that came out top end of Rivelin Valley . That was in the early 70s , I wouldn’t lik to try it now . They supplied kiln bricks to ICI at Tunstead

Thanks for your input Dave,will be doing a bit on ICI soon. :wink:

Gregory Scania.

Viridor DAF.

Anyone recognise the Volvo ■■ Did Daltons have a red strip ■■

Tesco ERF.

Innovate Volvo.

Evans Transport MAN.

J.D.Spooner Mercedes.

Toyota DAF.

Milbank Machinery Removals Volvo.

F & P White DAF.

Some odds and sods.

Click on page once/twice.

clip bedford dd me 79 ppg.PNG

ARC Volvo.

clip volvo arc ppg.PNG

Lewis W Evans.

clip ford lewis ppg.PNG

Pickfords Tank Haulage.

clip ford pickford tank ppg.PNG

Sparks Scania.

clip scania sparks ppg.PNG

Century Oils ERF.

Fred Bamber from Preston.

clip erf bambers preston ppg.PNG

Davies Turner Maggie.

clip davies turner maggie ppg.PNG.jpg

Barnett & Graham MAN from Penrith.

clip barnett & graham man ppg.PNG

Will be doing a bit about this truck later in the week. :wink:

Gloystarne Volvo F88.

Had a few of H.H.Williams livestock trucks on here.

R.C.Nixon Leyland Reiver.

Ed Weetman Scania. Is that a A35 with what looks like alot of filler in front of the drivers door. :smiley:

Abbey Hill Group DAF. “240Gardner” It was a Lathams GUY. :wink:

Corralls Scammell Routeman heading back to there yard on Poole docks.

Stretch Transport Volvo. Think they were from Poole ?

Northern Fruit Brokers Volvo. Fruit importers but i cant remember where they were based,anyone know ■■ I bet Buzzer has loaded for them.

Always remember Ings from near Fordingbridge operating DAF’s and i cant remember this F7.

Kershaws Transport DAF. Not sure if we have had one on before.

boardo96:
Hi Dean. Sorry I hadn’t replied before, thanks for posting the John Derrick and Otterton Mill article,
read it this morning whilst tipping a load but had a few snags and didn’t get chance to post.
I’ve not read about it before but I’m sure I’ve seen a similar photo of the Scammell, I can’t be certain but it may of been on the Devon Hauliers thread, I’ll take a look when I get chance see if it’s the same one.
Your right, I only live 10 minutes away from Otterton but I don’t know much about the mill or Mr Derrick but I do recognise his name from reading a different piece on the Scammell and I knew a man that drove one of them for him and had spoken of John Derrick.
No doubt you will remember T&T Transport from Exeter, well one of the partners Tony Hansford worked and drove one of the Handymans several years before going into business with Mr Tom Broom.
My father used to do a lot of the maintenance for T&T so I knew Tony and drivers, done a bit of driving for him when one of them had some time off for a hernia opp but when the driver came back to work I didn’t think he’d need me anymore but Tony put me working with Pete and showed me the ropes on the grain and raw material feed work they did for Bocm Paul’s. Tony done me a lot of good getting me involved with them and I owe him big time as when he retired his boys didn’t want to carry on with the business so he got me well in the door with Bocm and I’ve been working for them for nearly 20 years now, Pete stayed on with me till he retired and still comes in now a day or so a week.
So forgive me for going off the track a bit of Otterton mill but I can relate to the photo of the Scammell in other ways. RIP Tony and thanks Dean.

Hi, boardo. Just wondered if you remember a chap- think he was a one-man-band- who went by the name of Otter Valley Transport, maybe 1970s? I used to load with him quite regularly out of Exmouth dock, frequently doing a local load before loading for somewhere in the midlands. Cheers.

DEANB:
Gloystarne Volvo F88.

Ed Weetman Scania. Is that a A35 with what looks like alot of filler in front of the drivers door. :smiley:

Northern Fruit Brokers Volvo. Fruit importers but i cant remember where they were based,anyone know ■■ I bet Buzzer has loaded for them.

Always remember Ings from near Fordingbridge operating DAF’s and i cant remember this F7.

Oh, really, Dean, how could you possibly mistake the raked rear screen of a 105E Anglia for an A35 ?!?!? If you get stuck, my local Specsavers are open as normal, apart from the mask.

DEANB:
Gloystarne Volvo F88.

Hi Dean, The " A35 " :laughing: is a Ford Anglia 105E :wink: Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dean, The " A35 " :laughing: is a Ford Anglia 105E :wink: Cheers, Ray.

And it’s the front wing that’s rotten not the door.But much better than any of the fwd BMC heaps especially with a 1500 motor, or even better a 1600 crossflow, put in it. :wink:

Hi ROF, sorry no don’t know the man in question, bit before my time to be honest, I didn’t start doing bulk feed work till about 2000 but I know a few of the old Greendale drivers, they may remember as they did a lot out of Exmouth, as you probably know their boss owned the docs.
One man I do know that did regular work from Exmouth that you may remember is Dave Dart, Dart Transport from Exmouth, from what I recall he had an F86 then went on to a F10 or May of been a 12.
I’ll ask around regarding Mr Otter Vally. Cheers Nigel

Loved the Ford d series w Jones had a mixture of fords and bedfords nice clipping dean

682BEF2A-F3E4-4C05-8F58-79EAE433EB41.png

DEANB:

Badger:
Dean
Jeremy

Thanks for the info Jeremy. :wink: Just had a look on google maps and does not ring a bell from when i was a kid going in my
grandads trucks. Looks a bit odd with those houses on the rhs of the weighbridge. :smiley:

Pilwoods was started by a local farmer so these were workers houses

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Badger:

DEANB:

Badger:
Dean
Jeremy

Pilwoods was started by a local farmer so these were workers houses

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Mr Pilbrow was his name and he was big time into pig production, Buzzer

A35? No, it is a Ford Anglia 105E with a lot of filler!

boardo96:
Hi ROF, sorry no don’t know the man in question, bit before my time to be honest, I didn’t start doing bulk feed work till about 2000 but I know a few of the old Greendale drivers, they may remember as they did a lot out of Exmouth, as you probably know their boss owned the docs.
One man I do know that did regular work from Exmouth that you may remember is Dave Dart, Dart Transport from Exmouth, from what I recall he had an F86 then went on to a F10 or May of been a 12.
I’ll ask around regarding Mr Otter Vally. Cheers Nigel

Thanks, Nigel. I hadn’t realized that you were so young!