PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Buzzer:
Dean an old advert for livestock haulage company from Chudleigh in Devon not trading anymore, Buzzer

Nice o see a familiar name Buzzer, a good old friend and work colleague of mine John Yabsley used to work for Gills a long time ago, he also lived in Chudleigh, probably 35 or 40 year ago, John’s been gone about 15 year now and I can think of 2 other firms he worked for for many a year since Gills. Actually, you maybe related to him,
In later years he adopted the nick name “Buzz” after his boss’s son who was only a young lad at the time
said he had a hair cut like Buzz Lightyear and left him a toy figure on the dash to prove it!
And very right he was. Well done Charlie Please! Cheers Nigel

DEANB:
Inver tidy Volvo fridge.

Dixon Scania.

T.Barry Volvo bulker.

KRP Express MAN. Dont think we have had one on before,anyone know where they are from ■■

Gregory DAF.

Scammell Explorer.

Reed & Boardall Scania.

M.D.R.Transport tidy Scania. Think it says iverton on the side.

Star Trucking Magnum overtaking ■■? Mercedes.

Dont know, but looking at the trailer on the Magnum i would imagine they are the same as Edwin Shirley doing music group concerts ?

Anyone recognise the MAN ■■

Hello DEAN ,the red MAN is Jordans Transport that were from Crosshouses on the A458 out of Shrewsbury ,they were timber hauliers .
The DPS transport Volvo is from Yockleton again nr Shrewsbury ,on the Montgomery road ,they are agriculture hauliers ,a lot of poultry feed ,and a mostly Scania fleet ,thank you Trevor

tyneside:
Cowie rental Transcon,think it says Sunderland on the door

Cowies were main Ford dealers in Sunderland, both car & commercial. Tommy Cowie started with a motorbike shop in the town I think in the 1940’s

Tyneside

Dean little more info. As above Cowies were main Ford dealers and had several outlets in The NE. A lot of expansion took place in the 70’s / 80’s And Cowie Group PLC Was created. Interests included property and finance. This eventually morphed into the Arriva Group the bus and train concern. Until his death Tom Cowie was life president of Arriva. For a few years he was also on the main board of Sunderland Football Club. Tyneside

Some of these photos are particularly wonderful… Obviously most of us are really only interested in the lorry, but it’s nice to also look at the bigger picture.
Check out the cars in the background (particularly the rare Simca like my grandad had) and the ladies waiting at the bus stop. Literally a snapshot in time never to be repeated. Many thanks for sharing these great images.

DEANB:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Deben Transport mercedes from Southampton i think ?

Deben were from Felixstowe, but they had a local depot in Nursling

Thought they had a place in Southampton Chris,thanks for confirming. :wink:

windrush:
Regarding the Primrose advertisment: they also used one of W.G Phillips of Wirksworth’s LAD Dodges in their advert for adding second steer axles (Chinese sixes) in Commercial Motor. We used to repair an Austin FHK tipper in Reading back in the sixties that had a Primrose second steer fitted, it belonged to a local coal merchant and he collected his own coal from South Wales with it and also assisted in the Aberfan disaster. The braking system was simply a second master cylinder mounted above the axle, rather crude and plating and testing resulted in it being disposed of. A beast of a thing, a large Welshman (Taffy) drove it and was the only chap who could really handle it, but he sadly drowned while fishing as I believe the boat sank and his waders filled with water and dragged him under. :cry:

Pete.

Thanks for your comments re Primrose Pete. :wink: Primrose did loads of adverts chap and have attached a few. Also a bit on the Aberfan disaster.

Thats not the first time i have heard of someone drowning due to there waders filling up.

Click on pages twice.

1960 advert.

Primrose leaflets.

Aberfan disaster.

kenfig bill:

DEANB:
Some adverts from 1958.

I seem to remember “ROF” likes a nice Trusty.

Hello Dean …the old man too was impressed with the Trusty clipping …he says that Gwynn Bowen who were from Gorseinon had a couple of them with illuminated headboards …many thanks Dean …lol …Geraint

I may have something on the Thornycroft Trusty,will see if i can find it.

NMP, Press pic of Gwynn Bowen’s Trusty.

Advert from 1960.

Froggy55:
“DEANB” Some advers from 1958.

Seddon Diesel.

I see that, as early as 1958, the Seddon 8-wheeler was fitted with power steering when Foden still advised their customers to have good arm and chest muscles in the late 1960s for the S21!

Good point “Froggy55”. :wink: I dont know what year power steering was starting to be fitted as normal ?

rigsby:
“Froggy55”

I see that, as early as 1958, the Seddon 8-wheeler was fitted with power steering when Foden still advised their customers to have good arm and chest muscles in the late 1960s for the S21!

Nothing wrong with Armstrong steering Froggy , and the clutch on the s21 plus the hydraulic accelerator kept the leg muscles well excercised . No need for gym membership back then .

:laughing: :laughing:

m1tch:
“DEANB”

Rocma Volvo. Dont think we have had one on before,anyone know where they are from ■■

Rocma is Amcor (packaging) spelled in reverse. They were based in March and set up by a family member (think the son of Tony Griggs) of A A Griggs and I believe Tony Griggs was also involved as a director of rocma.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments on the Volvo chap. :smiley:

Hello Dean ,…your a marvel !! …the old man was well chuffed with that Thornycroft cutting …he says it was the first in south Wales and had its makers own engine, but was considered to be under powered …hauling tinplate to the likes of Heinz , and Metal Box at Wigan and Merseyside …sugar was a regular backload …many thanks Dean …from the pair of us …lol…Geraint

Buzzer:
Dean your right about Star trucking they are music gig transporters and Barry’s are from Gloucester way and delivered a load of fodder beet to my place once, cheers Buzzer.

I reckon that old magnum is an ex green death job

Thanks for the Volvo articles Dean. Paints a bleak picture of the plight of owner drivers at that time. One of the main ring leaders of the Razorback blockade was Ted (Greendog) Stevens. Used to love listening to his stories when we were waiting to unload. Ted wrote a book about the blockades, and managed to get it published before he passed away.

These photo’s aren’t very good quality from GDSF2003.
GDSF-2003-142.jpg

Colin.

Buzzer:
Dean your right about Star trucking they are music gig transporters and Barry’s are from Gloucester way and delivered a load of fodder beet to my place once, cheers Buzzer.

Thanks for confirming about Star and also Barry’s Buzzer. I think now you mention it you posted a pic of Barry’s on your thread delivering
that load of fodder. :wink:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Star Trucking Magnum overtaking ■■? Mercedes.

Looks like Richard Lawson livery on the Merc - either still on the fleet, some post-bankruptcy rebrand, or just moved on elsewhere

Thats the buggers Chris. :laughing: :wink:

boardo96:

Buzzer:
Dean an old advert for livestock haulage company from Chudleigh in Devon not trading anymore, Buzzer

Nice o see a familiar name Buzzer, a good old friend and work colleague of mine John Yabsley used to work for Gills a long time ago, he also lived in Chudleigh, probably 35 or 40 year ago, John’s been gone about 15 year now and I can think of 2 other firms he worked for for many a year since Gills. Actually, you maybe related to him,
In later years he adopted the nick name “Buzz” after his boss’s son who was only a young lad at the time
said he had a hair cut like Buzz Lightyear and left him a toy figure on the dash to prove it!
And very right he was. Well done Charlie Please! Cheers Nigel

That advert Buzzer posted certainly brought back some memories “boardo96”. Thanks for the comments. :laughing: :wink:

tastrucker:
“DEANB”

Anyone recognise the MAN ■■

Hello DEAN ,the red MAN is Jordans Transport that were from Crosshouses on the A458 out of Shrewsbury ,they were timber hauliers .
The DPS transport Volvo is from Yockleton again nr Shrewsbury ,on the Montgomery road ,they are agriculture hauliers ,a lot of poultry feed ,and a mostly Scania fleet ,thank you Trevor

Good stuff Trevor. :smiley: Never understand why companies dont advertise on there trucks. :unamused:

tyneside:
“tyneside” rental Transcon,think it says Sunderland on the door

Cowies were main Ford dealers in Sunderland, both car & commercial. Tommy Cowie started with a motorbike shop in the town I think in the 1940’s

Tyneside

Dean little more info. As above Cowies were main Ford dealers and had several outlets in The NE. A lot of expansion took place in the 70’s / 80’s And Cowie Group PLC Was created. Interests included property and finance. This eventually morphed into the Arriva Group the bus and train concern. Until his death Tom Cowie was life president of Arriva. For a few years he was also on the main board of Sunderland Football Club. Tyneside

Thanks for the info “Tyneside” :smiley: Have made a note of the name so will keep an eye out for any info on them chap. :wink:

Mark R:
Some of these photos are particularly wonderful… Obviously most of us are really only interested in the lorry, but it’s nice to also look at the bigger picture.
Check out the cars in the background (particularly the rare Simca like my grandad had) and the ladies waiting at the bus stop. Literally a snapshot in time never to be repeated. Many thanks for sharing these great images.

I know what you mean “Mark R” about whats going on in the background. Me and Paul often chat about stuff like that. You mention the Simca
i had an uncle that had an Oxford. Not sure if thats a Oxford or a Cambridge in the pic. :smiley: :wink:

kenfig bill:
“DEANB”

NMP, Press pic of Gwynn Bowen’s Trusty.

Hello Dean ,…your a marvel !! …the old man was well chuffed with that Thornycroft cutting …he says it was the first in south Wales and had its makers own engine, but was considered to be under powered …hauling tinplate to the likes of Heinz , and Metal Box at Wigan and Merseyside …sugar was a regular backload …many thanks Dean …from the pair of us …lol…Geraint

Hello Geraint,thanks for the comments. :smiley: Glad the old man liked that,no doubt we will come across some other info on the Trusty. :wink:

robthedog:
"Buzzer"Dean your right about Star trucking they are music gig transporters and Barry’s are from Gloucester way and delivered a load of fodder beet to my place once, cheers Buzzer.

I reckon that old magnum is an ex green death job

You have lost me on that one Rob ■■? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

colinwallace1:
Thanks for the Volvo articles Dean. Paints a bleak picture of the plight of owner drivers at that time. One of the main ring leaders of the Razorback blockade was Ted (Greendog) Stevens. Used to love listening to his stories when we were waiting to unload. Ted wrote a book about the blockades, and managed to get it published before he passed away.

Colin

No worries Colin,thanks for the Rotinoff pics,good stuff. Amazing that some survived bearing in mind only 30 odd were built. :wink:

Will pop some stuff on later chaps,have to be somewhere this morning. :wink:

Treasure ERF.jpg
FB_IMG_1593965388247.jpg
Had to look twice

I assume these two photos were taken just a few minutes apart…any idea where it was?

Mark R:
I assume these two photos were taken just a few minutes apart…any idea where it was?

Not me, but I’d bet a pound to a piece of you know what that Pete Smith will

Mark R:

Somewhere in the Midlands,Ansells is a Midland brewer.

David

I wonder if Treasures are still operating? Their depot used to be alongside the southbound A1 at Grantham, accessed via the southbound slip road from the A52.

Pete.

windrush:
I wonder if Treasures are still operating? Their depot used to be alongside the southbound A1 at Grantham, accessed via the southbound slip road from the A52.

Treasures are still going, I used to park in their yard an drop trailers in there

coomsey:
Had to look twice

:smiley:

Mark R:

Yes both in the same album Mark,will have to google the pub name to see where it was. :wink:

coomsey:

Mark R:

Not me, but I’d bet a pound to a piece of you know what that Pete Smith will

Yes i expect Pete will know. :laughing:

5thwheel:
"Mark R"I assume these two photos were taken just a few minutes apart…any idea where it was?

Somewhere in the Midlands,Ansells is a Midland brewer.
David

Thanks David. :wink:

windrush:

Pete.

Hopefully someone will know Pete. :wink:

Well chaps, we have had some cracking GUY Big J4’s on here.

I suppose this truck would be described as a no frills workhorse and was found in an awful lot of fleets.

A03229p.JPG

A03164p.JPG

A03469p.JPG

A03470p.JPG

A03504p.JPG

A03617p.JPG

A03678p.JPG

Guy.JPG

2017-07-14 20.56.05.jpg

2017-07-14 15.49.49.jpg

GUY Big J4 bochure.

Click on pages twice to read.