PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

“finbarot” Drinkwater Sabey Leyland Reiver.

One for the French chaps Griffon Renault. That looks a bit like a shipping container thats been attached to the body.

Tarmac Foden.

Mark R , Sheertrucks Scania. This truck featured in an article posted on page 431 !

Dalgety Leyland Constructor heading back to its Poole mill.

Odds and sods.

Click on pages once.

Hills Haulage Transcon.

clip ford hills haul ppg.PNG

Cleveland Tankers DAF.

dafcleveland tankers ppg.PNG

Seddon of Carrs Flour from Penrith.

seddon carrs flour penrith ppg.PNG

S.Norman & Sons Foden from Cambs.

foden normans cambs ppg.PNG

R.H.Roberts MAN from North Wales.

wales roberts n ppg.PNG

W & B Transport ERF from Lancs.

clip w&B tpt erf ppg.PNG

K.Stalker MAN from Penrith.

clip stalker man ppg.PNG

Canada Dry Seddon Atkinson.

seddon canada dry ppg.PNG

Glyn John Maggie.

wales glyn john 801 ppg.PNG

Jim Bennett’s Seddon Atkinson from Cheshire.

seddon j bennett ppg.PNG

J G Haulage DAF.

Sawyers Volvo.

Isotank Foden.

Anyone recognise the DAF ■■?

Dixon Scania from Ireland.

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■ The bulk tanker looks like its on a strange angle ■■

TT Concrete Mercedes. Anyone know where they are based ■■

GCA Transport from your part of the world Trevor.

Farralls Transport Volvo from Chester.

Dont think we have had a Gallons motor on before. Anyone know where they are from ■■

DEANB:
".

Mark R , Sheertrucks Scania. This truck featured in an article posted on page 431 !

Is that loaded with Hondas ?
If so, they were probably rotten by the time they got to the showroom :stuck_out_tongue:

DEANB:
J G Haulage DAF.

Sawyers Volvo.

Isotank Foden.

Anyone recognise the DAF ■■?

Dixon Scania from Ireland.

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■ The bulk tanker looks like its on a strange angle ■■

TT Concrete Mercedes. Anyone know where they are based ■■

GCA Transport from your part of the world Trevor.

Farralls Transport Volvo from Chester.

Dont think we have had a Gallons motor on before. Anyone know where they are from ■■

I think TT concrete are from Witney

The Scania tanker with the odd angle trailer is British sugar.

Steve

Yes, that’s a cracker… Hondas from Sheerness, I’d left by that time though, I think A reg was brand new when I was there. Any idea where the photo was taken?

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Thanks for the reply Chris,i should have had a look through the archives chap ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

It was a one-time editor who came to do a feature on our Borderer, and asked how long it would take to tilt the cab so that he could photograph the engine… :unamused:

I wasn’t there that day, but I understand that the answer he was given was something like, “about three ******* weeks, mate”

Ahem… That would’ve been me & OMT. In unison. I tried pointing-out the big rubber bushes with bolts running through the middle on the chassis rails at the back of the cab, but I suspect the aforementioned editor was too busy looking at the ground waiting for it to open-up and swallow him. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

He did confess that he had a modicom of technical knowledge of buses, but struggled with even the rudimentaries of wagons. We left it there & waited for him to depart. The article ran for 4 months once he’d written it up. Not everything made sense.

5thwheel:

Chris Webb:
Morning Dean.
Tinnelly are from Northern Ireland but they bought out a tipper firm in Lancashire - it could have been Barnes and Tipping Ltd,not sure.
Our Lancashire lads will know………

You’re right Chris,bought out in 2009.

David

Hmm…

Tinelly attempted to buy Barnes & Tipping from Whalley near Clitheroe, but when it appeared obvious that the funds for the transaction were never going to appear, the company was handed back to the previous owners. It was then wound-up and Barnes & Tipping were no more. A great shame.

DEANB:
“finbarot” Drinkwater Sabey Leyland Reiver.

Another one I’ve not seen before, brilliant, thank you.

Evening all, I’m sure this is 1 of John Pointons from Leek,
used for animal byproducts collections

Suedehead:

DEANB:

smallcoal:
Hi dean ,my volvo tipper when I worked for pml first in a foundry in Birmingham then in Liverpool by a Mersey ferry boat ,when I started in Clarkes I had a 07 plate volvo woman speeding round the corner in a lane in the Cotswolds took out my front light and steps

Nice pics John ! :smiley: There are alot of lanes around where i live John and the speed at which people come around corners at you over the
white line is a very regular occurrence ! :wink:

Frankydobo:
I recall my J Reg Volvo FL7 was that slow pulling away it was dangerous, one dull gloomy day I started out at a big roundabout in the safe knowledge nothing was coming, I’d just about cleared the way when a little sporty job came tearing around the corner and bounced off my trailer wheels! I got out to check and seen it was a young lady almost in hysterics, her radio blasting music and she was wearing sunglasses! Obviously looking cool and trendy counters taking any caution. She wasn’t hurt just her pride and nifty number and although I had little sympathy it became apparent the lack of acceleration on pulling away was a big fault on these lighter models. Years later I spoke to a Volvo Technician I knew and he said they had to fit boosters to those FL7’s because of the complaints received about lack of power on take off! Franky.

Thanks for your comments Franky. :smiley: The speed at which cars come around roundabouts these days can be crazy in some
places when you are trying to pull out. :wink:

Spare a thought for us poor frecers that drive a Merc with an auto box :blush:

I know what you mean mercs load of ■■■,mine went in for inspection came out day lights not working and two jobs to be done not done we having mega problems with euros here’s mine

I must admit I was a bit sceptical about some of this new high tech stuff, censor for this and that, more electronics to go wrong and then all the new exhaust emissions stuff I wasn’t to keen on it all, had pretty good service out of the older euro 2 and 3’s over the years but I must admit apart from an adblue fault that should of been done as a recall job before I got it, it’s now had a modification done and hasn’t given me any trouble, this ones been all right, quite impressed with it, snapped it up when I realised she’s got manual box in it, at least it can’t drive me yet unlike the auto’s.
IMG_0421.jpg
One of the earlier ones, had a few similar to this, good work horses

IMG_0032.JPG

marky:

5thwheel:

Chris Webb:
Morning Dean.
Tinnelly are from Northern Ireland but they bought out a tipper firm in Lancashire - it could have been Barnes and Tipping Ltd,not sure.

David

Hmm…

Tinelly attempted to buy Barnes & Tipping from Whalley near Clitheroe, but when it appeared obvious that the funds for the transaction were never going to appear, the company was handed back to the previous owners. It was then wound-up and Barnes & Tipping were no more. A great shame.

Errr,

Kevin Tinnelly definitely did buy Barnes and Tipping, personally not through Tinnellly International using some very odd debt structures, basically Barnes and Tipping borrowed all it could against it’s own assets Mr. Tinnelly then used this money to pay the agreed purchase price to the previous owner, who then returned some of these funds to repurchase the yard and buildings then letting these back to Tinnelly. This huge debt (ultimately £2.7m) plus getting on the wrong side of Mrs. Bell from a previous clean sheet lead to the adminitrator being appointed in March 2009 not much over a year after the purchase, in May 2009 Barnes and Tipping Ltd was bought out of administration by Hargreaves Service who over a period integrated B&T into Hargreaves until now it has vanished from sight.

All of this was fully documented at the time in both Commercial Motor and Motor Transport and of course Companies House.

Here’s a earlier one again, this was the 1st of 4 version 1’s I had, this was a 340, had a 380 the same year and the T and X reg were 420’s, bloody good reliable motors, biggest issue, abs wiring faults.

DEANB:

Suedehead:
“DEANB”

Frankydobo:
I recall my J Reg Volvo FL7 was that slow pulling away it was dangerous, one dull gloomy day I started out at a big roundabout in the safe knowledge nothing was coming, I’d just about cleared the way when a little sporty job came tearing around the corner and bounced off my trailer wheels! I got out to check and seen it was a young lady almost in hysterics, her radio blasting music and she was wearing sunglasses! Obviously looking cool and trendy counters taking any caution. She wasn’t hurt just her pride and nifty number and although I had little sympathy it became apparent the lack of acceleration on pulling away was a big fault on these lighter models. Years later I spoke to a Volvo Technician I knew and he said they had to fit boosters to those FL7’s because of the complaints received about lack of power on take off! Franky.

Thanks for your comments Franky. :smiley: The speed at which cars come around roundabouts these days can be crazy in some
places when you are trying to pull out. :wink:

Spare a thought for us poor frecers that drive a Merc with an auto box :blush:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bit like the early MAN’s chap :wink:

This was a shocker from a standing start. It had the automated version of the 18 speed roadranger. Didn’t matter if it was 68ton or just the tractor unit, the highest gear you could select for pulling away was 2nd, which is crawler high split. Could have software changed but invalidated clutch warranty.
Few months later a new FH16 arrived and the world was good again. Colin.

Them auto boxes our mercs start of in first or second gear sometimes as your pulling off it changes back to first ,I always flick switch to second hit power button then pull of when I get to 12 mph I put it on cruise control to 55 then let the box work it’s way up with out touching the accelerator,if I got 14 tonne on going up banks down to 29 mph and it keeps changing down bring back the old gear box and clutch I say

smallcoal:
Them auto boxes our mercs start of in first or second gear sometimes as your pulling off it changes back to first ,I always flick switch to second hit power button then pull of when I get to 12 mph I put it on cruise control to 55 then let the box work it’s way up with out touching the accelerator,if I got 14 tonne on going up banks down to 29 mph and it keeps changing down bring back the old gear box and clutch I say

Dunno what the fuss is about?
Apart from changing gear in tight turns, rolling backwards, stalling, pulling away in too high a gear, pulling away in too low a gear, making the clutch smoke when manoeuvering, all auto boxes are perfect!

marky:

5thwheel:

Chris Webb:
Morning Dean.

David

Hmm…

Tinnelly attempted to buy Barnes & Tipping from Whalley near Clitheroe, but when it appeared obvious that the funds for the transaction were never going to appear, the company was handed back to the previous owners. It was then wound-up and Barnes & Tipping were no more. A great shame.

Post the Tinelly debacle,Band T finally ended up being taken over by Hargreaves in March of 2009,alls well that ended well,as they say!

David

DEANB:

Turners (Soham) Ltd. contract Scania. IIRC it was one of a batch of Scania’s that were the first Scanias on the British Sugar Contract, and again IIRC they were snapped up by Turners as a cancelled order, (which by the way happened again last week, we bought some Scanias cancelled by another haulier). The trailer behind the Scania was one of a few that were built that way, nicknamed space rockets, and they were a pile of rubbish. They were built that way at the behest of British Sugar and they were on small twin wheels, that with giving a low chassis height resulted in limited brake cooling. Tyre problems and brake problems happened every week. The drivers hated those tanks.