PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

This was something of a rarity as they were usually built for export. It appears to be a 1964-registered (B-plate) ERF unit with a MV cab (ie not MW) and with RHD. And the Volvo badge is but a dream! :laughing: Robert

2017-07-17%2019.36.55.jpg

WB Atki.jpgWilliam Blythe is a manufacturer of inorganic specialty chemicals and advanced materials.

Founded in 1845 William Blythe are still very much in business today from their HQ at Bridge Street, Church, Accrington.

The late Peter Davison who drove for Gilbraith’s Tankers lived near the factory in Church near Accrington and sent me quite a number of pictures a few years ago of Blyths tankers a few of which are here below.

Blyths ERF EC14 in the plant at Accrington.

Blyths ERF EC11 taken on a loading bay at the Hapton plant

Even Bowker’s got in on the act with a contract to haul Blyth’s tankers.
This one is seen here on the 25th of February 2011 heading down Dill Hall Lane, Church not far from Blyth’s plant.

You sneaked this one in Dean :smiley: Missed this one at the very bottom of the previous page.

Leyland Beaver Reg No EM 4541 was originally owned by J.A. Webster of Richmond Road Trafford Park and was one of many Leyland Beaver draw-bar trailer outfit’s W & J Riding operated during the 1950’s.

The Crane built four wheeler draw-bar trailers with the ball bearing lock ring under the front were superb and would follow you dead straight at any speed.

The photograph above shows a well placed and chained load of conveyor belting from B.T.R. of Leyland.

Edwards Bell, Bradford, before Renwicks took over, we had a lot of these Atkis with 180’s in, happy days, Les.

2017-06-10%2021.02.46[1].jpg

Buzzer:
One from the era we are on, Bass Charrington Scammel Crusader, not the usuall axle set up for the norm back then, no number plate and it looks new maybe when the weights went up to 38 ton in 1983 as a lot of tandem trailers and not many tri-axle tractors, cheers Buzzer.

I remember seeing this Crusader on the Lunch box cafe A61 Near Derby,1970

moomooland:
Cheers Dean :smiley: Pictured above is W & J Riding’s Ergomatic cabbed Leyland Beaver 4X2 tractor unit Reg No TTE 540D Fleet No 51 which was registered new to Riding’s on the 1st of February 1966 at a cost of £3,129 6s 9d.

Powered by a 680 engine with 2 stick gearbox it was driven from new by the late Jimmy Holden who was another long time serving Riding’s man.

The picture was taken in the depot at Longridge while it was coupled to one of Riding’s standard 33 foot Crane Fruehauf trailers.

TTE 540D was later sold on to Walter Southworth of Rufford on the 28th of February 1974 for £950 plus vat who eventually went on to buy all of Riding’s old tilt cab Beavers.

Good stuff Paul thanks for the info ! :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:
This was something of a rarity as they were usually built for export. It appears to be a 1964-registered (B-plate) ERF unit with a MV cab (ie not MW) and with RHD. And the Volvo badge is but a dream! :laughing: Robert

Thanks for the info Rob ! :smiley:

moomooland:
3William Blythe is a manufacturer of inorganic specialty chemicals and advanced materials.

Founded in 1845 William Blythe are still very much in business today from their HQ at Bridge Street, Church, Accrington.

The late Peter Davison who drove for Gilbraith’s Tankers lived near the factory in Church near Accrington and sent me quite a number of pictures a few years ago of Blyths tankers a few of which are here below.
0 Blyths ERF EC14 in the plant at Accrington.
2Blyths ERF EC11 taken on a loading bay at the Hapton plant
1Even Bowker’s got in on the act with a contract to haul Blyth’s tankers.
This one is seen here on the 25th of February 2011 heading down Dill Hall Lane, Church not far from Blyth’s plant.

Thanks for the great pics and information Paul . :laughing:

moomooland:
You sneaked this one in Dean :smiley: Missed this one at the very bottom of the previous page.

0Leyland Beaver Reg No EM 4541 was originally owned by J.A. Webster of Richmond Road Trafford Park and was one of many Leyland Beaver draw-bar trailer outfit’s W & J Riding operated during the 1950’s.

The Crane built four wheeler draw-bar trailers with the ball bearing lock ring under the front were superb and would follow you dead straight at any speed.

The photograph above shows a well placed and chained load of conveyor belting from B.T.R. of Leyland.

I bet that was fun to back up Paul ! :smiley:

lespullan:
Edwards Bell, Bradford, before Renwicks took over, we had a lot of these Atkis with 180’s in, happy days, Les.

Thanks for your comments “lespullan” :wink: Any pics of Edwards Bell ■■?

revman:

Buzzer:
One from the era we are on, Bass Charrington Scammel Crusader, not the usuall axle set up for the norm back then, no number plate and it looks new maybe when the weights went up to 38 ton in 1983 as a lot of tandem trailers and not many tri-axle tractors, cheers Buzzer.

I remember seeing this Crusader on the Lunch box cafe A61 Near Derby,1970

Thanks for your input Revman ! :wink:

2017-07-16 22.22.29.jpgGoing back to that Foden S36 works motor a few pages back here’s an interesting picture with a Foden S34 on test in the centre of Sandbach with plenty of old cars getting in on the act…

None of the buildings in the picture survive today.
An Aldi stands on the corner of Middlewich Road were the van is parked while Poole & Alcock Solicitors modern building stands were UCLA Cleaners and the Newsagents once stood.

Some pics.

Very tidy looking Lynch Foden tanker. Rover lost the plot with that shed behind,no where near as reliable as the P6 it replaced.

2017-07-17 19.47.55.jpg

G & B Transport Scania 111

2017-07-17 19.49.24.jpg

BRS ERF

2017-07-17 19.50.49.jpg

Albion tipper.

2017-07-17 19.52.27.jpg

Foden,dont know if that is a demonstrator unit ?

2017-07-17 19.55.42.jpg

ERF bulk tipper of H.J.Lea & Sons Ltd

2017-07-17 19.57.24.jpg

E.J.Brick-Middlewich ERF

2017-07-17 20.03.11.jpg

Scammell tanker,cant make the name out of company ■■ looks like a Jag behind ?

paulgee scammell routemank.jpg

E.Dawson Foden from Middlewich. Is that a Marina shed behind ■■ Will put my hardhat on as paul Gee will give me a bollocking as he had one !

2017-07-17 20.06.15.jpg

Lunts transport Foden. Is that an early Reliant behind or were they a different make ■■? Looks like the rear of a Triumph Dolomite in the distance ?

2017-07-17 20.07.40.jpg

If you look at the load the Foden is carrying engines so probably on its way to the factory, Buzzer.

Hi Dean,
I think it is a Triumph Toledo and the 3 wheeler looks one of those “Invacars”, usually light blue.

2017-07-17 20.07.40.jpg

2017-07-17 19.57.24.jpgThis and a few more of this batch of pictures were taken on Hightown in the center of Sandbach.
In the background is the market hall which you can see if you look at Google Street View today of course very little heavy traffic uses this road today thanks to the bypass.

pete smith:
Hi Dean,
I think it is a Triumph Toledo and the 3 wheeler looks one of those “Invacars”, usually light blue.

Hi Pete and Dean, not forgetting the MG Midget :slight_smile:
Oily

DEANB:
Some pics.

National Benzole, part of the Shell-Mex & B.P. fuels delivery consortium.

DEANB:
Some pics.

National Benzole, part of the Shell-Mex & B.P. fuels delivery consortium.

DEANB:
Some pics.

Very tidy looking Lynch Foden tanker. Rover lost the plot with that shed behind,no where near as reliable as the P6 it replaced.

G & B Transport Scania 111

BRS ERF

Albion tipper.

Foden,dont know if that is a demonstrator unit ?

ERF bulk tipper of H.J.Lea & Sons Ltd

E.J.Brick-Middlewich ERF

E.Dawson Foden from Middlewich. Is that a Marina shed behind ■■ Will put my hardhat on as paul Gee will give me a bollocking as he had one !

Lunts transport Foden. Is that an early Reliant behind or were they a different make ■■? Looks like the rear of a Triumph Dolomite in the distance ?

Dean, The Scammell Tanker is National Benzole. The car behind the Dawson Foden is a 1.8 Litre Morris Marina.
The Invacar was Government Issue to disabled people. If you happened to drive past any of the 123 Remploy
Factories from 1950s onwards, it was possible to see many Invacar vehicles in the staff car park, usually parked
not far from the staff entrance. Regards, Ray Smyth.

lespullan:

I thought you`d disappeared Les how you keeping?

moomooland:
1Going back to that Foden S36 works motor a few pages back here’s an interesting picture with a Foden S34 on test in the centre of Sandbach with plenty of old cars getting in on the act…
0 None of the buildings in the picture survive today.
An Aldi stands on the corner of Middlewich Road were the van is parked while Poole & Alcock Solicitors modern building stands were UCLA Cleaners and the Newsagents once stood.

With regard to the picture of the roundabout in the middle of Sandbach, At busy traffic times,
the junction was controlled by a Policeman on “Point Duty”. One such “Policeman” was a local
chap called “Blaster Bates”. He was a “Special Constable” in his spare time. His main job was as
a demolition and explosive expert. Another of his jobs was as a standup comedian in working
mens clubs in the Northwest, where he was often heard to utter one or two naughty words.
If you approached the junction when he was on “Point Duty”, and you misread his signal for you
to stop, he was known to stop all the traffic, stroll across to the offender, and give him a right
good bollocking, tell him a gag, then send him on his way. He was as daft as a brush!!
The U.C.L.A. shop was United Co-operative Laundries Association, but when we were young kids,
we called it Uncle Charlies Lunatic Asylum.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

oiltreader:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,

Oily

For a Truck Net Brucey Bonus for 10 can you name all the cars in the picture below. :smiley:

moomooland:

oiltreader:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,

Oily

For a Truck Net Brucey Bonus for 10 can you name all the cars in the picture below. :smiley:

Looks to me like: P3 Rover 75 (nearly bought one in early '70s but needed another £20 so settled for a Morris Minor), Truimph Toledo, Mk 1 Ford Cortina (had one), Hillman Minx (drove one), Austin Cambridge van, Ford Zodiac, Ford Anglia (passed my test in one). Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

moomooland:

oiltreader:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,

Oily

Looks to me like: P3 Rover 75 (nearly bought one in early '70s but needed another £20 so settled for a Morris Minor), Truimph Toledo, Mk 1 Ford Cortina (had one), Hillman Minx (drove one), Austin Cambridge van, Ford Zodiac, Ford Anglia (passed my test in one). Robert

Nearly Robert, it’s a Triumph 2000, I moved a few in the mid '60s , the Toledo had single headamps, the Dolomite, posher and sportier had twin headlamps.
Cheers
Oily