PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

moomooland:
Thanks Dean cracking on the road shot.

W & J Riding Seddon Atkinson 400 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No SFR 950P Fleet No 49 ‘Peerless’ which was purchased brand new by Riding’s on the 1st of July 1976 at a cost of £12,760 + vat

After nine years service SFR 950P was sold on to John Killingbeck of Blackburn for £3,500 + vat where it became Fleet No 25 in John Killingbeck’s mixed and varied fleet.

A nice pic that one coming round the round about ! Ridings did ok on that deal after 9 years graft, getting 25% roughly of what they
paid for it new was a good deal i reckon ! :wink:

MaggieD:
Great picture DEANB [emoji1303]
I know the owner of that it was a purpose built break down lorry from new to a firm in Southampton called R&A Commercials
When my mate bought it he had it repainted in Stirlands colours the VO part of the registration is from the East Midlands I do believe Nottinghamshire
Here’s a line of some restored lorries in Stirlands colours only the ERF was a genuine Stirlands lorry
Here’s GVO in colour with my dad standing in front he worked at Stirlands for 37 years

Hi gazsa401 and Dean,

Here’s a couple of photo’s of the Atki Wrecker,the first is how I bought it from Tilbury’s in Southampton, I had been buying several new Renault trucks from Peter Tilbury in the Eighties and Nineties and as he was getting rid of the Atki I purchased it from him. It was originally a tractor unit and Tilbury’s had it streched and the body and crane fitted,they also had a Seddon Atkinson dealership in Winchester run by Peter’s brother Michael.
The second pic is a later one in my colours after a few years of hard work.

Dean thanks for all your time and effort putting all these photo’s on,it’s much appreciated.

Regards
Richard
[/quote]
Thanks Richard for the pics and history of the truck. We are just lucky that Paul took so many great and intresting pics ! :smiley:

moomooland:
Seen here heading North up Keele Bank on the M6.
You can see the mile marker board for Junction 15 on the Southbound carriageway.

Tom Riding tells me that this Atkinson Defender Reg No JGA 160N was supplied brand new to Yuill and Dodds of Hamilton Scotland
It was one of three that Tom’s cousin Colin Carefoot bought second hand from Yuill & Dodds when they were three years old.

P.S. Deano, We must be due another Riding’s picture in the not to distant future. :smiley:

“moomooland” A rare mistake chap !!! :open_mouth: :unamused: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Paul sent me this little message for you chap ! :unamused: :wink:

paulgeemap1.PNG

paulgeemap.PNG

Micro Milling ERF

2017-06-19 12.08.28.jpg

Piece from an ERF magazine.Click on page twice to magnify for reading.

DEANB:
/quote]

“moomooland” A rare mistake chap !!! :open_mouth: :unamused: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

I always stand to be corrected have blown picture up x10 and i can see the curve in the distance is to long for the M6 at Junc 15. :blush: :blush:

kmills:

ERF-NGC-European:

Dieseldog66:
Have I missed something here 38 ton on 5 axles was fine, but didn’t come in to the UK till 83. Spread axle got you an extra ton payload.
We ran close running tandems at Hercocks by Trailor (F), although we did run some close spaced triaxle French not sure of the make on Richard Ford, not sure of the rating but they followed great.

Quite right: 38-tonnes came in early '83. Robert

Spread axles didn’t get you any more payload. The gross weight was the same, be it in 32 or 38 ton days. The difference was the axle weights permitted - 8T for close coupled, 9T for spread axles. So you were less likely to get done for overloaded axles with a spread, but no more payload.

From memory the close coupled tandems were initially 2x 9 ton axles ( 18 ton) and this was tweaked in late '72 to 9:25 ton axles ( 18:5 ton bogie) but the widespreads were always 10 ton axles ( 20 ton bogie) But both combinations were still only able to operate at 32 ton GVW ! Until 38 ton came in during April '83. Cheers Bewick.

Good evening Gents…Unfortunately I’ve been away from Truck net for quite some time but what a fantastic page to come back to. I’ve thougherly enjoyed looking back over the last 40odd pages and hope to read in more detail when I get time. Many of these photos were taken at a time when my dad was driving and I was just a nipper with a dream of becoming a lorry driver!..Many thanks for sharing and taking me back to my youth.
Rgds MR.

Heres a few tarmac for “BonkeyDollocks”

paulgee fodens.jpg

Click on advert twice to magnify for reading.

Thanks for the correction re the axle weights Dennis -
Cheers Keith

kmills:
Cheers Keith[/quote
No probs Kieth. But why I was able to relate the alteration from 18 to 18:5 ( I wasn’t aware of the change at the time) was when I took delivery of a new York tandem axle trailer in late '72 and I loaded it in the Mill one night with 21 ton for Bracknell, a regular drop, but just as I was about sheet and rope the Mill asked if I could stick another small drop on for Slough, about a ton or so ! Certainly I says, so on it went. Well I wasn’t taking it down the road and I knew the Atki would be well up and maybe over 32 tons a little bit. So I leave our Lad a note on the bonnet telling him I hoped those ■■■■■■■■ weren’t weighing at Rickmansworth !! Guess what THEY WERE but even though it was just a bit over 32 all the axles were within their weights, the York bogie was spot on 18:5 ton so they let him go but they said if any of the axles had been over we would have got a “ticket” so if it had been on any of our other trailers at the time Ugh !! You couldn’t make it up ! Cheers Dennis.

Warmlite leyland Roadtrain from Crosshands,Wales.

Some of you may find this intresting,Leyland Hippo brochure.

Click on pages twice to magnify for reading.

Scania 111 advert from 1978.

DEANB:
A few more.

J.Baddeley Borderer.

British Salt Foden

Anyone recognise the DAF

Foden,anyone recognise it ■■?

BRS Queensferry used to run these, this one has a Chester reg number I think…Barry Waddy? Any clue?, the DAF is also Chester reg, Sprostons used to run them in similar colour from Frodsham…bit of useless info :angry: :laughing:

Looks like the CRS ERF driver wanted a Volvo ■■

Swift for Service Transcontinental. Like the P6 Rover,my grandad had the 3.5 litre V8 one of those ! You could hear it coming down
the road slowly just ticking over lovely sound !!

Elsby Foden.

Pochin Foden.

Entress DAF

Anyone recognise the maggie ■■?

bubbleman:
Oh yes!! :smiley: :smiley: …Fantastic shot,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Can I be the only one waiting for Bewick to criticise the sheeting ?

Superb pic of the S80 tanker. It looks to be Derbyshire based either at Cawdor quarry at Matlock or Hillhead quarry Buxton.
Here’s a few others including a brand spanker parked at Cawdor one sunday afternoon in '74. Pic courtesy of Pod Robinson. The S21 would have also been based in Derbyshire.

Bewick:
Have I missed something here 38 ton on 5 axles was fine, but didn’t come in to the UK till 83. Spread axle got you an extra ton payload.
We ran close running tandems at Hercocks by Trailor (F), although we did run some close spaced triaxle French not sure of the make on Richard Ford, not sure of the rating but they followed great.

Quite right: 38-tonnes came in early '83. Robert
Spread axles didn’t get you any more payload. The gross weight was the same, be it in 32 or 38 ton days. The difference was the axle weights permitted - 8T for close coupled, 9T for spread axles. So you were less likely to get done for overloaded axles with a spread, but no more payload.

From memory the close coupled tandems were initially 2x 9 ton axles ( 18 ton) and this was tweaked in late '72 to 9:25 ton axles ( 18:5 ton bogie) but the widespreads were always 10 ton axles ( 20 ton bogie) But both combinations were still only able to operate at 32 ton GVW ! Until 38 ton came in during April '83. Cheers Bewick.
[/quote]
Thanks for your input Dennis ! :wink:

Mark R:
Good evening Gents…Unfortunately I’ve been away from Truck net for quite some time but what a fantastic page to come back to. I’ve thougherly enjoyed looking back over the last 40odd pages and hope to read in more detail when I get time. Many of these photos were taken at a time when my dad was driving and I was just a nipper with a dream of becoming a lorry driver!..Many thanks for sharing and taking me back to my youth.
Rgds MR.

Hello Mark, glad you are enjoying Paul and Marks pics. Feel free to add any you have from this period ! :wink: :smiley:

kmills:
Cheers Keith

:smiley:

Bewick:
Cheers Keith
[/quote
No probs Kieth. But why I was able to relate the alteration from 18 to 18:5 ( I wasn’t aware of the change at the time) was when I took delivery of a new York tandem axle trailer in late '72 and I loaded it in the Mill one night with 21 ton for Bracknell, a regular drop, but just as I was about sheet and rope the Mill asked if I could stick another small drop on for Slough, about a ton or so ! Certainly I says, so on it went. Well I wasn’t taking it down the road and I knew the Atki would be well up and maybe over 32 tons a little bit. So I leave our Lad a note on the bonnet telling him I hoped those [zb]
weren’t weighing at Rickmansworth !! Guess what THEY WERE but even though it was just a bit over 32 all the axles were within their weights, the York bogie was spot on 18:5 ton so they let him go but they said if any of the axles had been over we would have got a “ticket” so if it had been on any of our other trailers at the time Ugh !! You couldn’t make it up ! Cheers Dennis.

Close call there Dennis ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

steelboyf10:

DEANB:
A few more.

J.Baddeley Borderer.

British Salt Foden

Anyone recognise the DAF

Foden,anyone recognise it ■■?

BRS Queensferry used to run these, this one has a Chester reg number I think…Barry Waddy? Any clue?, the DAF is also Chester reg, Sprostons used to run them in similar colour from Frodsham…bit of useless info :angry: :laughing:

Cheers “steelboyf10” thanks for the info ! :wink: :laughing:

Suedehead:
Oh yes!! :smiley: :smiley: …Fantastic shot,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:
Can I be the only one waiting for Bewick to criticise the sheeting ?

Actually “Suedehead” Dennis has been a bit quiet on the sheeting these days !!! :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

BonkeyDollocks:
Superb pic of the S80 tanker. It looks to be Derbyshire based either at Cawdor quarry at Matlock or Hillhead quarry Buxton.
Here’s a few others including a brand spanker parked at Cawdor one sunday afternoon in '74. Pic courtesy of Pod Robinson. The S21 would have also been based in Derbyshire.

Thanks “BonkeyDollocks” ,I know of Pod he has taken some nice pics ! Thanks for adding pics ! :wink: :smiley:

What about this one Paul ? :wink:

ridingsu.jpg

Cheers Dean :smiley: Pictured above is W & J Riding’s Ergomatic cabbed Leyland Beaver 4X2 tractor unit Reg No TTE 540D Fleet No 51 which was registered new to Riding’s on the 1st of February 1966 at a cost of £3,129 6s 9d.