PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

kevmorrow:
DEAN
Swizzels originated from East London but relocated New Mills Derbyshire 1940 because of the blitz. I used to deliver Mothers Pride Bread to their canteen mid 1960s. I have since delivered many times over the years to Swizzels with machinery from Ireland. Later years edible oils but remember it was a pig of a yard and the product had to be blown up to the 6th floor. 1960s Seen many sugar tanker drivers having trouble discharging more product than air and ended up with blocked lines. The only way to unblock line was to take flex hose off and let product spill in the yard. Later Swizzels installed many air lines on inlets to assist the flow and solved this problem.
1960s and early 1970s visiting drivers were given free by sweets.
Regards
KEV

Good stuff KEV, thanks for the info intresting. :smiley: :wink:

coomsey:
Owner driver from my neck of the woods Coalville leics I think. Usually pulled tipper trailer, retired now?? Cheers Coomsey

Cheers Coomsey,looks like he did a bit of International work. :wink:

oiltreader:
Oily,this brochure may intrest you.
Cheers Dean, that’s jogged the memory :smiley: , Booty’s had a their yard in Ferry Rd., Marston, Oxford, went there for a job once, a rough place that was. Later had a chap as a trailer mate who had worked there.
Oily

I thought you might find that intresting Oily. :wink:

windrush:
My dad drove for Bootys, a BMC 701 dropsider. It was all over blue but not signwritten, he lived in Reading and rode to Oxford on his 50cc Victoria moped on mondays and parked the lorry in Reading during the week. First pic I have seen of one of their trucks. I did many miles with him, London mills mostly. He broke down in Trafalgar Square one day, the Eaton two speed axle became stuck in neutral. A Copper on point duty removed the little plate from the axle change unit and wedged into gear with some wood to get him moving again! Do the Police still do that I wonder? :unamused: I remember being at Ranks in Silvertown and this strange truck pulled in and everyone crowded round it, it was the first Bedford TK that anyone there had seen! Why didn’t they catch on eh? :wink:

Pete.

Sounds like the Copper was a decent bloke Pete. :wink:

tc trans:
Kammac International Volvo. Were they based in Southampton,as i remember seeing them around that area alot.

Kammac were based in Burscough, they had motors outbased all across the country. The ones you saw in Southampton were outbased motors driven by Dave and Guy Morgan, used to park in Lorraines if I recall.
Was probably the best job I ever had in the 80’s.
Its always great to see some pics of these.

Thanks for the comments “tc trans” :wink:

Heres a bit more on Kammac ! Click on page twice to read.

kammack v.PNG

Chris Webb:
“windrush”
I remember being at Ranks in Silvertown and this strange truck pulled in and everyone crowded round it, it was the first Bedford TK that anyone there had seen! Why didn’t they catch on eh? :wink:

Pete.

:laughing: I remember when I was in RAF and thumbing it home to Sheffield winter 1960.I’d just baled out of a ERF KV of Staples Brothers from Sibsey Lincs at the A57/A1 island near Worksop about midnight.I walked round the corner frozen to death and presently this space age wagon came round the corner and stopped,a brand new TK unit of Tower Hill Transport from Boston. Talk about nice and warm in that cab.
It was even warmer at top of Swallownest hill with a tandem axle trailer loaded with spuds for Sheffield and Manchester markets - slightly bent in the middle. :smiley:

They used to have a flap in the middle of the cab down by the floor and a driver i knew would heat up sausage rolls and pies etc when driving to eat
when he stopped . :laughing:

Buzzer:
Back then we worked for Kammac subbing, hired a tall taught liner for the job and loaded a lot of market produce up to Manchester and the like and reloaded out of nananco usually to dock gate 10 in Southampton but sometimes to Dorchester. Dave Morgan was the driver aka “The Fireman” as he did not hang around but when he started on a Sunday up the road he would dedicate the whole week to the job, never bothered about a dodgy night out even if he was at say Winchester, he as you said later drove for Kammac and his brother too but he ended up in Holland and sadly a couple of months ago took his own life, RIP Dave Morgan, Buzzer.

Thanks for the pic and comments Buzzer. RIP Dave Morgan.

MANTRONIC:
"DEANB"Welsh motors.

Phil Davies Volvo bulker.

Hey Dean ,some great Welsh motors ,Phil Davies is from Sennybridge ,Paul would have enjoyed himself down in Newport ,loads of truck activity thier ,thanx MT

Thanks for the comments “MT”. Paul enjoyed his trip to Newport. :wink:

tastrucker:
DEANB"Welsh motors.

D.J.Fisher Scania.

Hello DEAN ,these are from Rhos on sea ,North Wales do a lot of agriculture work ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for the info Trevor. :smiley:

H.J.Cole Foden bulker. This company are still going and run a few bulkers from Kinson,Bournemouth.

Ken Thomas DAF

Tarmac Leyland.

Anyone recognise the Seddon Atkinson 401 ■■?

Mid Wilts Transport.Not sure where they came from ■■

L4825p.JPG

I remember seeing Ings Transports DAF 2800s alot growing up. :smiley:

Healthcare Scania.

Selby DAF.

Arclid Foden.

HWG Rusbridge & Son Leyland Constructor.

DEANB:

L4825p.JPG

No idea where they came from, but I can tell you that the motor started life as Pandoro 227, the first 400 Series to join the fleet, and which spent all its working life at Stoke depot.

DEANB:
Ready Mix Seddon Atkinson 401.

This was actually one of Tom Riding’s motors:
wjriding.webs.com/rmccontract.htm

240 Gardner:
Ready Mix Seddon Atkinson 401
This was actually one of Tom Riding’s motors.

This one must have slipped through the net Chris, never noticed it when Dean posted it last Saturday well spotted you are indeed correct.

Day cabbed Seddon Atkinson 4-11 4x2 tractor unit Reg No E940 MCK Fleet No 36 ‘Firth of Forth’ was powered by a Gardner 6LXDT engine.
Registered new on the 1st of April 1988 this tractor unit and tanker were out based at Wright Brothers of Tranent East Lothian where it is seen here about to leave their yard.
The late Tom Riding, who took the photograph, recalled that John Baillie, a local man, was it’s regular driver at that time.

Riding’s Ready Mix Concrete (RMC) contract started back In 1987 when a company from Greece started exporting cement over to the UK by ship into a large new terminal on Leith Docks Edinburgh.
RMC were to purchase the cement from them but required a reliable haulier to move the huge quantities involved.
So it came about that Castle Cement, based in Clitheroe Lancashire, recommended W & J Riding who were approached by RMC to tender for the job and were duly successful.
The contract was to collect from the docks at Leith all the bulk cement that RMC required and to deliver it to their various batching plants across Scotland.
Initially the job required seven outfits, with W & J Riding eventually providing five brand new ERF and two brand new Seddon Atkinson 4x2 tractor unit’s to do the job, along with the relevant cement tankers which were all painted in the striking orange RMC livery.
Ridings RMC Contract

An on the road shot of Seddon Atkinson 4-11 4x2 tractor unit Reg No E940 MCK Fleet No 36 ‘Firth of Forth’.
Pictured hauling a tri-axle cement tanker it is seen here in 1993 on the A720 Edinburgh by-pass between the Straiton and Lasswade junctions.
Photograph courtesy of Steve Saunders.
Ridings RMC Contract

Morning Dean,
Something is telling me this was a company just outside Chippenham that did a lot of potato haulage as well as general stuff. Harvey

240 Gardner:
DEANB

No idea where they came from, but I can tell you that the motor started life as Pandoro 227, the first 400 Series to join the fleet, and which spent all its working life at Stoke depot.

Thanks for the info Chris. :smiley:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Ready Mix Seddon Atkinson 401.

This was actually one of Tom Riding’s motors:
wjriding.webs.com/rmccontract.htm

Well spotted Chris,missed that ! :laughing: :laughing:

moomooland:

240 Gardner:
Ready Mix Seddon Atkinson 401
This was actually one of Tom Riding’s motors.

This one must have slipped through the net Chris, never noticed it when Dean posted it last Saturday well spotted you are indeed correct.
0Day cabbed Seddon Atkinson 4-11 4x2 tractor unit Reg No E940 MCK Fleet No 36 ‘Firth of Forth’ was powered by a Gardner 6LXDT engine.
Registered new on the 1st of April 1988 this tractor unit and tanker were out based at Wright Brothers of Tranent East Lothian where it is seen here about to leave their yard.
The late Tom Riding, who took the photograph, recalled that John Baillie, a local man, was it’s regular driver at that time.

Riding’s Ready Mix Concrete (RMC) contract started back In 1987 when a company from Greece started exporting cement over to the UK by ship into a large new terminal on Leith Docks Edinburgh.
RMC were to purchase the cement from them but required a reliable haulier to move the huge quantities involved.
So it came about that Castle Cement, based in Clitheroe Lancashire, recommended W & J Riding who were approached by RMC to tender for the job and were duly successful.
The contract was to collect from the docks at Leith all the bulk cement that RMC required and to deliver it to their various batching plants across Scotland.
Initially the job required seven outfits, with W & J Riding eventually providing five brand new ERF and two brand new Seddon Atkinson 4x2 tractor unit’s to do the job, along with the relevant cement tankers which were all painted in the striking orange RMC livery.
Ridings RMC Contract

Thanks for the info Paul,good stuff as always. :wink:

HRS:

Morning Dean,
Something is telling me this was a company just outside Chippenham that did a lot of potato haulage as well as general stuff. Harvey

I thought i had something on them Chris but cant find it. :unamused:

Anyone recognise the Mercedes ■■

P3280024p.JPG

Cant make the name out on the MAN ■■

P2180047p.JPG

Anyone recognise the number plate on the Scania ■■

P5270046p.JPG

P&O

P5300095p.JPG

Ardvark DAF

P8080058p.JPG

Mona Precast Scania.

P8090045p.JPG

Shears Transport Scania who operate out of Bournemouth airport.

P7080023p.JPG

Dont remember ever seeing a Scania unit on a Shell tanke before ?

P8090050p.JPG

Pilkington Volvo.

P8080063p.JPG

B&Q Volvo.

P8080051p.JPG

Hepworths DAF

KHR Scania on a mission. Anyone recognise the initials ■■?

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■?

Thorpe Transport DAF from Birmingham.

BVT from Blackpool Seddon Atkinson.

John Weaver Foden from Poole.

Leyland on the Wimborne bypass but i dont recognise it. French Merc behind would have arrived in Poole from Cherbourg no doubt.

Febrys Mercedes.

Tarmac Foden.

Dorchester Transport Volvo in Panda Drinks colour scheme.

HRS:

Morning Dean,

Hi Harvey

Weren’t Mid Wilts based on Steeple Ashton airfield? I think they had a dozen or so motors - a good old fashioned haulier :slight_smile:

Just catching up after a few days away Dean - some cracking pics again. Thanks to you, Paul and Mark :smiley:

DEANB:

Morning dean deb cleaning products they do all consumer products to companies and nursing homes they do anything,you may have seen in firms deb swarfega :smiley:

P&O

Ardvark DAF

Mona Precast Scania.

Pilkington Volvo.

B&Q Volvo.

DEANB:

P&O

Ardvark DAF

Mona Precast Scania.

Pilkington Volvo.

B&Q Volvo.

Hi Dean, The M.A.N. looks like “Deb”, a company that made “Swarfega” hand cleaner and other products. Cheers, Ray,

DEANB:

P&O

Ardvark DAF

Mona Precast Scania.

Could well be a Hoyer motor on contract

Pilkington Volvo.

B&Q Volvo.

Piston broke:

HRS:

Morning Dean,

Hi Harvey

Weren’t Mid Wilts based on Steeple Ashton airfield? I think they had a dozen or so motors - a good old fashioned haulier :slight_smile:

Just catching up after a few days away Dean - some cracking pics again. Thanks to you, Paul and Mark :smiley:

Correct near Trowbridge

Piston broke:

HRS:
Morning Dean,

Hi Harvey

Thanks for the comments “Piston broke” :wink:

smallcoal:
Morning dean deb cleaning products they do all consumer products to companies and nursing homes they do anything,you may have seen in firms deb swarfega :smiley:

Thanks for the name John, i reckon e should have all bought shares in who ever makes swarfega its been about years ! :smiley:

Ray Smyth:

Hi Dean, The M.A.N. looks like “Deb”, a company that made “Swarfega” hand cleaner and other products. Cheers, Ray,

Thanks for confirming Ray. :wink:

Spud1960:

Could well be a Hoyer motor on contract

That could explain it “Spud1960” as i dont recall Shell using Scanias. :smiley:

robthedog:
“Piston broke” “HRS” Mid Wilts Transport.Not sure where they came from ■■

Morning Dean,

Hi Harvey

Correct near Trowbridge
[/quote]
Cheers Rob. :wink:

Acorn Transport Volvo.

P8100054p.JPG

Bonnings Transport’s tidy DAF.

P5300117p.JPG

Roberts Volvo from Wales.

P8100017p.JPG

Texaco ERF. Accountants must be running the company by the time this pic not sprayed red anymore ! :frowning:

P8100020p.JPG

ELW Volvo.

P5300116p.JPG

Whites European Mercedes.

P3310018p.JPG

Geoff Gilbert Scania.

P8080056p.JPG

E.W. & H Williams & Son ERF tipper.

P8120108p.JPG

Peter Jones & Son Mercedes from Sheffield.

P8100010p.JPG

Downton Volvo.

P8150057p.JPG

Hall & Co.

Click on pages twice to read.

Some album pics. Not taken by me.

Tarmac Volvo.

Eastern BRS Seddon Atkinson.

Bulmers Volvo F10. Posted a few articles about Bulmers before. Trucks had a hard life on Bulmers and pretty much never stopped.

Clun Valley Scania from Shropshire i assume ?

Sunters mighty Contractor.

Bedworth Haulage Leyland.

National Coal Board GUY.

British Salt Foden.

Roadline Bedford.

Atkinson Defender i think but probably wrong and “240 Gardner” will no doubt come along and give me a bollocking and tell us what it is. :unamused:

Anyone know what the initials stand for ■■?

Some odds and sods.

1959 advert.

DAF.