PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Hi dean,wg Lloyd from Pyle

image.jpeg

moomooland:
3Bowie’s started in business just after the second world war with a small yard in Altrincham, over the years moving on to Stockport Road in Timperley, then on to Wharf Road in Sale just west of Manchester.

By 1986 the fleet had grown considerably operating around 100 vehicles which was when the fleet was at it’s peak.

They had contracts with the likes of International Paper at Winsford , Barrowclough’s Drinks at Bradford, Austin Caulfield to name but a few and the company also had quite a large removals and storage business.

In 1988 the haulage side was sold to A1 Transport of Leeds followed by the removals side six months later to B & S of Loughborough Leicestershire.

Thanks to Robert Cheetham for supplying all the above information way back in June 2009 along with these pictures below.

2Brian Clarke, a long serving driver at Bowies, is seen here with his new ERF ‘C’ Series powered by a Gardner 300 8LXCT which was one of a pair purchased from ERF agents Harith at Trafford Park.

1Line up of ERF’S in the depot at Sale in 1980.
All were powered by 240 Gardner engines and were all purchased second hand.

0Another depot shot showing part of the old fleet and the old livery on the Bedford TK removal van.

Thanks for info on Bowies.
When I worked for S&Rs and driving time was nearly up we would park at Sandbach Knutsford Heatshead Moor Birch services and had an arrangement to leave keys with Motorway police. S&Rs would send out night drivers in a mini bus to collect tankers so they could be loaded for the next day. Must have been at least half a dozen times I got a lift back to Stretford with Brian Clarke.

kevmorrow:

moomooland:
Bowie’s started in business just after the second world war with a small yard in Altrincham, over the years moving on to Stockport Road in Timperley, then on to Wharf Road in Sale just west of Manchester.

By 1986 the fleet had grown considerably operating around 100 vehicles which was when the fleet was at it’s peak.

They had contracts with the likes of International Paper at Winsford , Barrowclough’s Drinks at Bradford, Austin Caulfield to name but a few and the company also had quite a large removals and storage business.

In 1988 the haulage side was sold to A1 Transport of Leeds followed by the removals side six months later to B & S of Loughborough Leicestershire.

Thanks to Robert Cheetham for supplying all the above information way back in June 2009 along with these pictures below.

Brian Clarke, a long serving driver at Bowies, is seen here with his new ERF ‘C’ Series powered by a Gardner 300 8LXCT which was one of a pair purchased from ERF agents Harith at Trafford Park.

Line up of ERF’S in the depot at Sale in 1980.
All were powered by 240 Gardner engines and were all purchased second hand.

Another depot shot showing part of the old fleet and the old livery on the Bedford TK removal van.

When I worked for S&Rs and driving time was nearly up we would park at Sandbach Knutsford Heatshead Moor Birch services and had an arrangement to leave keys with Motorway police. S&Rs would send out night drivers in a mini bus to collect tankers so they could be loaded for the next day. Must have been at least half a dozen times I got a lift back to Stretford with Brian Clarke. I prefered getting a lift back by Preistners Carrington as I lived at this time at Flixton

S&R.jpg

DEANB:
C.J.Pearce Volvo F88.Anyone know where they were based ■■

I dont remember ever seeing this F86 Volvo of Ings Transport from Fordingbridge. I can only ever remember them running DAF 2800’s back in the 70’s.

Tom Brown Precast Albion. Anyone know where they were from ■■

Anyone recognise the timber Atkinson Defender ■■?

Frozen Fare ERF

Anyone recognise the ERF overtaking the Safeway Seddon Atkinson ■■

Bemrose Mercedes.

Dukes Transport Volvo F10. Another big old company gone…

Bowies ERF.

Seymoor Scania 111

Hi Dean, The ERF with L on the cab door could be Littlewoods (Mail Order). Regards, Ray.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Ray,yes you are right,their main catalogue warehouse was at Blackrod I think.They ran several night trunks and must have been on job and finish the speed they went at on nights.I used to see them regular at night when working for MFS on the Littlewoods contract.

tastrucker:
W.G.R. Lloyd & Sons ERF. Anyone know where they were from ■■

Hello DEAN ,i think WG R LLoyd were from Bagillt nr Holywell N Wales ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for the info Trevor. :wink:

Ray Smyth:
Cant make the name out on the door of the Mercedes ■■?

Hi Dean, The blue Mercedes Benz with low loader trailer looks like Joseph Foulkes of Wednesfield
in the West Midlands. I remember their lorries in the mid 1970s when they brought regular loads
of steel tubes from TI Seamless Tubes in the Midlands for delivery to England Tubes at Wigan, and
Markland Scowcroft at Bolton. Another carrier of steel tubes to Wigan was Fellowes Transport,
also from the West Midlands. The Trucknet Midlands members will know both of these firms, and
perhaps several others that did regular steel tube work for TI Seamless and other TI Companies
in West Midlands, but particularly in the Black Country. Ray Smyth.

That name rings a bell Ray,i seem to remember Pete Smith mentioning them before ! :smiley: :wink:

windrush:
Nice to see QTR Transport, I remember the owner (the late Peter White) having a fruit and veg stall on Reading market. QTR stood for Quick Turnover Reading, he had a 5 ton Austin FJK which we used to service/repair/replace engines regularly on and swapped it for a long wheelbase Bedford TK with coach wheeltrims fitted! His lads run it now I believe, and they have a TK on the rally circuit restored as the one they ran in the 60’s/70’s. More useless info! :blush:
Pete.

I wondered what the initials stood for Pete ! Here a couple more recent ones that Paul sent me overnight ! :wink:

gingerfold:
Not sure if Leyland / AEC Shell tanker on an airport somewhere. Graham will no doubt tell as which make ? :unamused:

It’s an AEC Mandator. Some of those Mandators for Shell had a special heavy duty rear axle, rated at 14 tonnes IIRC, instead of the usual 10 tonnes. Some of the aircraft refuelling trailers were very heavy, giving a gtw of 40 tonnes when the normal legal limit was 32 tonnes gtw. Normal C&U Regs. didn’t apply for airport use. There were also some LWB rigid Mandators rated for 20 tonnes GVW with heavier front and rear axles. There were two of these at Jersey Airport for years in Esso livery.

Thanks for clearing that up Graham ,i can never tell which is whic between Leyland and AEC !! :laughing: :wink:

marktaff:
Hi Dean,
WGR Lloyd were from Pyle South Wales…steel haulier but no longer around.

Ok thanks for confirming that Mark. :smiley:

robroy:
‘Frozen Fare’ was a subsiduary of JW. Watt’s of Carlisle.

Here’s one of me pulling the same trailers, around 1985 ish.

Thanks for the comment and pic Rob. :smiley:

smallcoal:
Hi dean,wg Lloyd from Pyle

Great pics John,thanks for posting. :wink:

kevmorrow:
“moomooland”
Bowie’s started in business just after the second world war with a small yard in Altrincham, over the years moving on to Stockport Road in Timperley, then on to Wharf Road in Sale just west of Manchester.

When I worked for S&Rs and driving time was nearly up we would park at Sandbach Knutsford Heatshead Moor Birch services and had an arrangement to leave keys with Motorway police. S&Rs would send out night drivers in a mini bus to collect tankers so they could be loaded for the next day. Must have been at least half a dozen times I got a lift back to Stretford with Brian Clarke.

Kev ,thanks for your input. Paul certainly knows his stuff on the Northern companies. :smiley: :wink:

Chris Webb:
Hi Ray,yes you are right,their main catalogue warehouse was at Blackrod I think.They ran several night trunks and must have been on job and finish the speed they went at on nights.I used to see them regular at night when working for MFS on the Littlewoods contract.

Thanks Ray good call . Cheers for confirming Chris ! :laughing:

Posted this pic yesterday with the Hopkins Foden in the background. Paul sent me the 2nd pic of Hopkins Foden overnight.Anyone know
if its the same company ? Looks like they have changed the colour scheme if it is the same company ■■

P2180104p.JPG

Redburn Transfer Volvo.

P3290010p.JPG

RH & AJ Bateman tipper,from somewhere in Somerset i believe.

P2180113p.JPG

Frampton’s ERF with a Taymix ERF behind.

P2180093p.JPG

G.Crook & Sons Volvo from Dorchester way.

P2190135p.JPG

Brett Leyland/DAF concrete mixer.

P3300011p.JPG

JCK Transport Scania.

P2190144p.JPG

William C Hockin Volvo.

P2190132p.JPG

Steves DAF

P3290061p.JPG

Shepherd Neame Volvo brewery truck.

P3300018p.JPG

John R Marsh Iveco.

P3310004p.JPG

Abbey Hill Fiat in Southampton.

Blue Circle Cement Constructor.

Another shot of Jameson’s yard.

RMC Routeman tipper.

Freightliner Volvo F7.

Courier Express Scania.

Esso AEC tanker.

Anyone recognise the ERF tanker ■■?

T & L Gage Transport DAF

Beresford Seddon Atkinson.

DEANB:
C.J.Pearce Volvo F88.Anyone know where they were based ■■

I dont remember ever seeing this F86 Volvo of Ings Transport from Fordingbridge. I can only ever remember them running DAF 2800’s back in the 70’s.

Tom Brown Precast Albion. Anyone know where they were from ■■

Anyone recognise the timber Atkinson Defender ■■?

Frozen Fare ERF

Anyone recognise the ERF overtaking the Safeway Seddon Atkinson ■■

Bemrose Mercedes.

Dukes Transport Volvo F10. Another big old company gone…

Bowies ERF.

Seymoor Scania 111
Nice Hovis flour ERF B six wheeler flat nicely loaded in lane 2.

The Brett Group mixer; I wonder where the pic was taken? I believe they were always a Kent based concern but I wonder if they now have depots elsewhere? I used to do caravan rallies with a chap (an ex Tilcon driver in Kent actually) who became a manager at Bretts and gave me a book on the history of the company and it contained photos of many of the vehicles and drivers etc going back to the 1930’s.

Pete.

Hi dean,Hopkins still got some in blue ,most of his new ones are white I’m in there yard tomorrow with admixture will try and get some pics

windrush:
The Brett Group mixer; I wonder where the pic was taken? I believe they were always a Kent based concern but I wonder if they now have depots elsewhere? I used to do caravan rallies with a chap (an ex Tilcon driver in Kent actually) who became a manager at Bretts and gave me a book on the history of the company and it contained photos of many of the vehicles and drivers etc going back to the 1930’s.

Pete.

Good point mate - there’s also the Shepherd Neame Volvo, the brewery is in Faversham.
The Brett mixers used to be based at their site on the A28 between Canterbury and Chartham - I think it was called ‘Milton Quarry’, but don’t quote me on the name. A company I worked for once used to do maintenance work there.

Cheers Keith

windrush:

Pete.

Hi, Bretts were (are they still about?) indeed an interesting Company , always with an immaculate fleet of tippers and mixers , I used to visit their various pits and depots in Kent and in Essex where they expanded and took over Fairlop Readymix ,they also had a large Fullers earth set up in Baulking nr Wantage .Their registered offices were in Jersey channel isles where they had a quarry and ready mix operation . I had to visit there as well . toshboy

DEANB:
Abbey Hill Fiat in Southampton.

Hello Dean what a nice selection of photos you have put up again i hope you and Paul Mark are keeping well Regards Darren :smiley: :smiley:

Another shot of Jameson’s yard.

RMC Routeman tipper.

Freightliner Volvo F7.

Courier Express Scania.

Esso AEC tanker.

Anyone recognise the ERF tanker ■■?

T & L Gage Transport DAF

Beresford Seddon Atkinson.

hi Geraint and Paul ,
According to my old uncle Chivers of Brynmawr ,also had buses and were members of the Monmouth Tipping group along with Stephens and Chambers hauling slag out of Llanwern .
Does any body remember Black Rock haulage ? tippers that worked on the construction of the Heads of the Valleys road ,and they too hauled out of Dunlop Semtex ,its remarkable the feedback on South Wales hauliers on Dean and Pauls thread ! MT

Good evening all,

Sad to hear of the passing of Seymour Clapcott earlier this month.
the family was well known in the Parkstone area and their tankers were well known in Southampton as well.

couple of theirs from this site.

aseries.jpg

VBO.jpg

some from other sources

17264312_10209733107619038_368432584771756712_n.jpg

and the man himself at AEC get together in 2015. #RIP

regards

Colin.

Sorry to hear about Seymour Clapcott Colin.
Was this MK3 “tin front” one of theirs,it’s same colour of the Park Royal Mercury?

aec142.jpg

FLOURPOWER:
Seymoor Scania 111
Nice Hovis flour ERF B six wheeler flat nicely loaded in lane 2.

You dont miss those Hovis “FLOURPOWER” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Heres another one for you chap ! :wink:

windrush:
Pete.

Pete, I spoke to Paul and he was on holiday at the time and he cant remember exactly where he took the pic but said it was definately somewhere in Kent.

He asked if this was another part of the Brett group or is this a completely different company ■■ We are thinking it is a different company. :unamused:

smallcoal:
Hi dean,Hopkins still got some in blue ,most of his new ones are white I’m in there yard tomorrow with admixture will try and get some pics

Thanks John ! :wink:

kmills:
"windrush"The Brett Group mixer; I wonder where the pic was taken? I believe they were always a Kent based concern but I wonder if they now have depots elsewhere? I used to do caravan rallies with a chap (an ex Tilcon driver in Kent actually) who became a manager at Bretts and gave me a book on the history of the company and it contained photos of many of the vehicles and drivers etc going back to the 1930’s.
Pete.

Good point mate - there’s also the Shepherd Neame Volvo, the brewery is in Faversham.
The Brett mixers used to be based at their site on the A28 between Canterbury and Chartham - I think it was called ‘Milton Quarry’, but don’t quote me on the name. A company I worked for once used to do maintenance work there.
Cheers Keith

Thanks for your comments Keith ! :smiley:

toshboy:
Hi, Bretts were (are they still about?) indeed an interesting Company , always with an immaculate fleet of tippers and mixers , I used to visit their various pits and depots in Kent and in Essex where they expanded and took over Fairlop Readymix ,they also had a large Fullers earth set up in Baulking nr Wantage .Their registered offices were in Jersey channel isles where they had a quarry and ready mix operation . I had to visit there as well . toshboy

Thanks for the info “toshboy”. Wheres the pics ■■? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

ArcDaz:
Hello Dean what a nice selection of photos you have put up again i hope you and Paul Mark are keeping well Regards Darren :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for your comments Daz yes everyone is good ! :wink:

MANTRONIC:
hi Geraint and Paul ,
According to my old uncle Chivers of Brynmawr ,also had buses and were members of the Monmouth Tipping group along with Stephens and Chambers hauling slag out of Llanwern .
Does any body remember Black Rock haulage ? tippers that worked on the construction of the Heads of the Valleys road ,and they too hauled out of Dunlop Semtex ,its remarkable the feedback on South Wales hauliers on Dean and Pauls thread ! MT

Thanks for your comment “MT” :wink:

nilocekyd:
Good evening all,
Sad to hear of the passing of Seymour Clapcott earlier this month.
the family was well known in the Parkstone area and their tankers were well known in Southampton as well.
regards
Colin.

Sorry to hear that news Colin. RIP

Chris Webb:
Sorry to hear about Seymour Clapcott Colin.
Was this MK3 “tin front” one of theirs,it’s same colour of the Park Royal Mercury?

Nice pic Chris.

Its nice to see that some of the old companies that we have posted pics of the last few days are still going.
Although Framptons have now been taken over by Gregory’s.Heres some newer pics of some of the old companies posted this week.

Heres some Welsh motors.

Alan Price Volvo.

P1240113p.JPG

Arse end of a Mansel Davies Volvo.

G.Jones Scania.

Sunhill Transport Volvo.

Owens.

We have had some cracking ARC pics on here.

AQ20.JPG

BA0016.JPG

BA0040.JPG

2017-06-07 20.15.22.jpg

AQ21.JPG

BA0028.JPG

L1456p.JPG