PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:
FrAnyone recognise the ERF overtaking the Safeway Seddon Atkinson ■■

That air deflector, looks as useful as a stair lift in a bungalow.

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Newell & Wright F88.

I thought I’d taken more at the time, but this is the only one I can find right now… :unamused:

Taken in Newell & Wright’s yard in April 2004

This was the purpose of my visit to Newell & Wright in April 2004: to see ‘the rocket launcher’ in action for ELG Haniel

Volvo FL10 by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

It was NWT’s solution to loading fragmented scrap into boxes and, to be fair, it caused less damage to the boxes than some of the other methods used

Quite honestly, it would still have been better to ship them back to the Far East empty, but that wasn’t my decision

DEANB:
Think its F1 Logistics MAN ■■

Think its Taylor Barnard ■■

Walkers Crisps Scania.

Matalan ERF

Omega Scania.

Johnson & Boles MAN.
J&b are man dealers in chelworth ind est they deal in tipper work and lease to hauliers ,John raymonds trucks are from them

Waste to Compost ERF.

Hanson Mercedes.

B.K.P ERF Not sure what the initials stand for ■■

Cant make the name out on the Scania ■■ Think its Paul ■■?
Paul barber transport with coil slider flex trailer

DEANB:
D.R.Wheeler Foden tipper.

Oswestry Waste Paper Mercedes.

Hall & Pickles ERF from Poynton.

Tidy Scania of P & G Marsh from Shropshire.

Berwyn Volvo.

Another independent haulier Judds Transport taken over by a larger company. I believe Gregory’s bought them.

Friel Scania.

S.J.Griffiths Scania. Powerful for a 6 wheeler.

N.Groom Haulage MAN from South Wales.

Hicks Scania.

Hello DEAN ,some Shropshire motors Kev Castle from Shrewsbury and Marsh from Bridgnorth have a big line up now ,whilst Oswestry waste paper have a very smart fleet that appears at the truck shows ,thank you Trevor

Bowies.jpgBowie’s started in business just after the second world war with a small yard in Altrincham, over the years moving on to Stockport Road in Timperley, then on to Wharf Road in Sale just west of Manchester.

By 1986 the fleet had grown considerably operating around 100 vehicles which was when the fleet was at it’s peak.

They had contracts with the likes of International Paper at Winsford , Barrowclough’s Drinks at Bradford, Austin Caulfield to name but a few and the company also had quite a large removals and storage business.

In 1988 the haulage side was sold to A1 Transport of Leeds followed by the removals side six months later to B & S of Loughborough Leicestershire.

Thanks to Robert Cheetham for supplying all the above information way back in June 2009 along with these pictures below.

CCI08082009_00004-001.jpgBrian Clarke, a long serving driver at Bowies, is seen here with his new ERF ‘C’ Series powered by a Gardner 300 8LXCT which was one of a pair purchased from ERF agents Harith at Trafford Park.

Line up of ERF’S in the depot at Sale in 1980.
All were powered by 240 Gardner engines and were all purchased second hand.

Another depot shot showing part of the old fleet and the old livery on the Bedford TK removal van.

DEANB:
Newell & Wright F88.

Army or ex Army Foden.

Prestons of Potto Seddon Atkinson.

M.H.Warren Seddon Atkinson from Somerset.

Leonard Crane Volvo F88.

Ken Abram Mercedes.

Anyone recognise the AEC livestock truck ■■?

Drinkwater Sabey Foden.

Says Gil-Flex on the trailer but not sure if thats the haulier as the trailer looks red. Anyone recognise the Merc ■■

W.H.Geer Foden from Parkstone,Poole.

The AEC ,livestock truck looks if it could be R H Goulding of Newent ,regards Keith

DEANB:
Newell & Wright F88.

Army or ex Army Foden.

Prestons of Potto Seddon Atkinson.

M.H.Warren Seddon Atkinson from Somerset.

Leonard Crane Volvo F88.

Ken Abram Mercedes.

Drinkwater Sabey Foden.

Says Gil-Flex on the trailer but not sure if thats the haulier as the trailer looks red. Anyone recognise the Merc ■■

W.H.Geer Foden from Parkstone,Poole.

The AEC ,livestock truck looks if it could be R H Goulding of Newent ,regards Keith

Catch up, Keith, that was about four pages ago! Must try harder, as my old maths teacher used to write in my book. Regularly! :wink:
Anyway, to get back on track, I don’t think Goulding’s had any Mercurys, I certainly can’t remember any with a livestock box on it. I think that by the time the pictured lorry was around, they had gone over to ERFs for livestock work.
Now sit back and wait for someone who knows different! :unamused:

240 Gardner:
"DEANB"Newell & Wright F88.
I thought I’d taken more at the time, but this is the only one I can find right now… :unamused:

Thanks for the pic Chris,can never understand why trucks are left with doors/windows open to let the elements in. :confused:

Suedehead:
"DEANB"FrAnyone recognise the ERF overtaking the Safeway Seddon Atkinson ■■

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

240 Gardner:
This was the purpose of my visit to Newell & Wright in April 2004: to see ‘the rocket launcher’ in action for ELG Haniel
It was NWT’s solution to loading fragmented scrap into boxes and, to be fair, it caused less damage to the boxes than some of the other methods used

Quite honestly, it would still have been better to ship them back to the Far East empty, but that wasn’t my decision

Another good pic Chris. That looks a bit dodgy to me if that machine operator gets that wrong ■■? :unamused: :wink:

smallcoal:
Johnson & Boles MAN.
J&b are man dealers in chelworth ind est they deal in tipper work and lease to hauliers ,John raymonds trucks are from them

Good stuff John,thanks for the info ! :smiley: :wink:

tastrucker:

Hello DEAN ,some Shropshire motors Kev Castle from Shrewsbury and Marsh from Bridgnorth have a big line up now ,whilst Oswestry waste paper have a very smart fleet that appears at the truck shows ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for the comments Trevor, the Marsh Scania is nice. :wink:

moomooland:
Bowie’s started in business just after the second world war with a small yard in Altrincham, over the years moving on to Stockport Road in Timperley, then on to Wharf Road in Sale just west of Manchester.

By 1986 the fleet had grown considerably operating around 100 vehicles which was when the fleet was at it’s peak.

They had contracts with the likes of International Paper at Winsford , Barrowclough’s Drinks at Bradford, Austin Caulfield to name but a few and the company also had quite a large removals and storage business.

In 1988 the haulage side was sold to A1 Transport of Leeds followed by the removals side six months later to B & S of Loughborough Leicestershire.

Thanks to Robert Cheetham for supplying all the above information way back in June 2009 along with these pictures below.
Brian Clarke, a long serving driver at Bowies, is seen here with his new ERF ‘C’ Series powered by a Gardner 300 8LXCT which was one of a pair purchased from ERF agents Harith at Trafford Park.
Bowies yard shot 1-001.JPG[/attachment]Line up of ERF’S in the depot at Sale in 1980.
Another depot shot showing part of the old fleet and the old livery on the Bedford TK removal van.

Great stuff Paul and some nice pics. Never realised they were that big ,100 motors !! Nice to see they had a mighty Bedford TK chap ! :smiley: :wink:

kingswinford kit:

Thanks for your input Keith,apparently it was one of Wm Rowe’s from Tamworth chap. :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Catch up, Keith, that was about four pages ago! Must try harder, as my old maths teacher used to write in my book. Regularly! :wink:
Anyway, to get back on track, I don’t think Goulding’s had any Mercurys, I certainly can’t remember any with a livestock box on it. I think that by the time the pictured lorry was around, they had gone over to ERFs for livestock work.

“Catch up Keith” I reckon its more like “catch up ROF” check the message further up the page !!! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Mike Beer Volvo.

P3300021p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Volvo ■■

P2180089p.JPG

Any ideas Mr Webb ■■? :unamused: :laughing: Anyone know where the Hopkins Aggregrates Foden was from ■■

P2180104p.JPG

R.H.Butler DAF. Never driven a skip truck but if that top skip is loaded and looking at the sheet you would assume it was, that looks a bit top heavy ■■

P3290020p.JPG

Tomkinon Mercedes.

P3290087p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Foden brick truck ■■

P3300010p.JPG

Geoff Fisher Transport Mercedes.

P3300024p.JPG

John Reeve Plant Hire Volvo.

P3300034p.JPG

QTR Transport DAF.

P5270031p.JPG

Philson Haulage DAF.

P5300097p.JPG

Pioneer Leyland Bison.

Not sure if Leyland / AEC Shell tanker on an airport somewhere. Graham will no doubt tell as which make ? :unamused:

Anyone recognise the Volvo F7 ■■ Think the pic was taken in Southampton ?

Wilkinson Transport Seddon Atkinson. Posted an article about this company on page 188.

N.J.Grose Seddon Atkinson. Posted an article about a Grose Borderer on page 92.

W.G.R. Lloyd & Sons ERF. Anyone know where they were from ■■

Cant make the name out on the door of the Mercedes ■■?

Christian Salvesen Mercedes.

E.C.S. Saviem. Anyone know what the initials stand for ■■?

Depcell Transport F86 from Southampton.

DEANB:
Pioneer Leyland Bison.

Not sure if Leyland / AEC Shell tanker on an airport somewhere. Graham will no doubt tell as which make ? :unamused:

Wilkinson Transport Seddon Atkinson. Posted an article about this company on page 188.

Hello DEAN ,i think WG R LLoyd were from Bagillt nr Holywell N Wales ,thank you Trevor

DEANB:
Pioneer Leyland Bison.

Hi Dean, The blue Mercedes Benz with low loader trailer looks like Joseph Foulkes of Wednesfield
in the West Midlands. I remember their lorries in the mid 1970s when they brought regular loads
of steel tubes from TI Seamless Tubes in the Midlands for delivery to England Tubes at Wigan, and
Markland Scowcroft at Bolton. Another carrier of steel tubes to Wigan was Fellowes Transport,
also from the West Midlands. The Trucknet Midlands members will know both of these firms, and
perhaps several others that did regular steel tube work for TI Seamless and other TI Companies
in West Midlands, but particularly in the Black Country. Ray Smyth.

Nice to see QTR Transport, I remember the owner (the late Peter White) having a fruit and veg stall on Reading market. QTR stood for Quick Turnover Reading, he had a 5 ton Austin FJK which we used to service/repair/replace engines regularly on and swapped it for a long wheelbase Bedford TK with coach wheeltrims fitted! His lads run it now I believe, and they have a TK on the rally circuit restored as the one they ran in the 60’s/70’s. More useless info! :blush:

Pete.

DEANB:

It’s an AEC Mandator. Some of those Mandators for Shell had a special heavy duty rear axle, rated at 14 tonnes IIRC, instead of the usual 10 tonnes. Some of the aircraft refuelling trailers were very heavy, giving a gtw of 40 tonnes when the normal legal limit was 32 tonnes gtw. Normal C&U Regs. didn’t apply for airport use. There were also some LWB rigid Mandators rated for 20 tonnes GVW with heavier front and rear axles. There were two of these at Jersey Airport for years in Esso livery.

Hi Dean,
WGR Lloyd were from Pyle South Wales…steel haulier but no longer around.

L3927p.JPG-1.jpg

DEANB:

240 Gardner:

Thanks for the pic Chris,can never understand why trucks are left with doors/windows open to let the elements in. :confused:

Suedehead:

240 Gardner:

Another good pic Chris. That looks a bit dodgy to me if that machine operator gets that wrong ■■? :unamused: :wink:

smallcoal:
Johnson & Boles MAN.

tastrucker:

moomooland:
Bowie’s started in business just after the second world war with a small yard in Altrincham, over the years moving on to Stockport Road in Timperley, then on to Wharf Road in Sale just west of Manchester.

Brian Clarke, a long serving driver at Bowies, is seen here with his new ERF ‘C’ Series powered by a Gardner 300 8LXCT which was one of a pair purchased from ERF agents Harith at Trafford Park.
Bowies yard shot 1-001.JPG[/attachment]Line up of ERF’S in the depot at Sale in 1980.

Great stuff Paul and some nice pics. Never realised they were that big ,100 motors !! Nice to see they had a mighty Bedford TK chap ! :smiley: :wink:

kingswinford kit:

Thanks for your input Keith,apparently it was one of Wm Rowe’s from Tamworth chap. :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:

“Catch up Keith” I reckon its more like “catch up ROF” check the message further up the page !!! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

My only excuse is that I’m nearer the end of my life than the beginning. :confused:

Retired Old ■■■■:

DEANB:

240 Gardner:

Suedehead:

240 Gardner:

smallcoal:
Johnson & Boles MAN.

tastrucker:

moomooland:

kingswinford kit:

Retired Old ■■■■:

My only excuse is that I’m nearer the end of my life than the beginning. :confused:

Hey ROF ,well that makes 2 of us !! lol …regards Keith

marktaff:
Hi Dean,
WGR Lloyd were from Pyle South Wales…steel haulier but no longer around.

Hi mark,not far from me mate only down the road

L3494p.JPG
‘Frozen Fare’ was a subsiduary of JW. Watt’s of Carlisle.

Here’s one of me pulling the same trailers, around 1985 ish.