PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

dave docwra:
Hi, Does anyone recognise this old girl, I stumbled across her in a yard along with a MK2 Marathon in Irthlingborough, I think she may have been an ex Agnew & Lithgow unit originally going by her registration number HSJ950N.

New to Osborne’s of Kilmarnock, apparently, and used to carry whisky. Here it is in 2007, at the Great Dorset Steam Fair:

1975 Atkinson Borderer HSJ950N by Martin Smith, on Flickr

And when in the ownership of Jim Horn:

Guy Big J4T (B101 SFK) & Atkinson Borderer (HSJ 950N) by Jim Horn, on Flickr

Later, it passed to Ian Roberts of Carnoustie:

HSJ 950N Atkinson Borderer by Jim Horn, on Flickr

Later still:
Atkinson Borderer HSJ 950N by Gyles Carpenter, on Flickr

Sad to see it falling on hard times now :frowning:

DEANB:

kmills:
Mike Ball from Madley, Herefordshire, was a hay & straw merchant, hence the rack over the cab, to get a few more bales on!

Cheers “kmills” The rack must lift up for tilting the cab. :wink:

windrush:
By gum, those farm lads in the tractor pics have ■■■■ bigger than a lot of lasses! :open_mouth: Pete.

:laughing:

Suedehead:

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the Crusader ■■? Never seen 3 x michelin men on a truck before ! :laughing:

Think it says R+K Sherland of Sturminster Newton on the door.

Thanks for the name “Suedehead” for the name. :smiley:

Spud1960:
Think it says John Tetby ■■? on the door.
Hi I’m pretty sure it is John Tutty from Hull

Cheers “Spud1960” your correct chap as read it on facebook. :wink:

moomooland:
0Another old girl still on the road.
This ERF V’ Type was registered new in March 1952.
Today operated by Neil Corner for transporting a Gavioli organ.

Well spotted Paul, thanks for the pic. :laughing: :wink:

Bewick:

windrush:
By gum, those farm lads in the tractor pics have ■■■■ bigger than a lot of lasses! :open_mouth:

Pete.

Send yer blind Pete ! Log off mate or you will have a queer turn, sorry a ----turn ! Cheers Dennis.

:laughing:

Wheel Nut:

Spud1960:
Think it says John Tetby ■■? on the door. Hi I’m pretty sure it is John Tutty from Hull

John Tutty colours

Cheers “Wheel Nut” :laughing:

Its R & M Shepard of sturminster Newton

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the F89 ■■ Been fitted with a large fuel tank.

Clive price Scania bulker.

Anyone recognise the ERF tanker ■■?

K.W.Jones DAF. Is Jones a Welsh motor ■■

N.J.Grose Seddon Atkinson bulker. If anyone is intrested i popped an article on about this company
on page 92.

Joseph Hoyle Atkinson.

Hudsons Foden. Anyone know where they were from ■■

Cleator Seddon Atkinson.

Marshall ERF from Nottingham.

Metal Box Marathon.

I notice the Joseph Hoyle Atki had the Kirkstall D85 axle so I wonder if it had the ■■■■■■■ 250 or the 220 engine. I had a number of Borderers in the Bewick fleet with that very reliable axle, far better than the poxy Seddon Group axle which Seddons foisted onto Atkinsons after the takeover ! although my favourite drive axle was always the Eaton as I didn’t believe that a hub reduction was required for running on ordinary road surfaces. Cheers Dennis.

I have always wondered why hub reduction was used on single drive axles as well Dennis? Foden used them on their units and also on single drive eight wheelers, presumably it was to ease the strain on halfshafts? :confused:

Pete.

windrush:
I have always wondered why hub reduction was used on single drive axles as well Dennis? Foden used them on their units and also on single drive eight wheelers, presumably it was to ease the strain on halfshafts? :confused:

Pete.

Pete n Dennis being just a driver n not needing to know about drivelines where did Kirkstall axles stand in reliability? Seem to think most of my motors had them.

MIXED BUNCH TODAY

img345 (2).jpg

img340 (2).jpg

coomsey:

windrush:

Pete.

Pete n Dennis being just a driver n not needing to know about drivelines where did Kirkstall axles stand in reliability? Seem to think most of my motors had them.

No good asking me Paul, I only worked on (and drove) vehicles fitted with Foden, Eaton and Rockwell axles. :wink:

Pete.

coomsey:

windrush:

Pete.

Pete & Coomsey, Although the Kirkstall D85 axle was very reliable as I don’t recall we had any trouble whatsoever with any but as far as I was concerned they had more moving parts with having the hub reduction gears. Fair enough if your operation meant quite a bit of “off road” like building sites and road works etc.the hub reductions were better. But all our Eaton axles gave excellent service and also the couple of Rockwell axles in two Sed/Atks. ERF were major users of Kirkstall axles, they being ERF’s standard axle. I ordered both “B” and “C” Series ERF’s with the Eaton axle and for some reason the “C” Series were all badged as C38’s and the Kirkstall axled units were C 40’s. It didn’t bother me as the ,then, max GVW was 38 ton. But if I had been able to spec every Atky and ERF I bought they would have all had the Eaton axle. Unfortunately I had to take what I could get sometimes so they came with both Seddon Group and Kirkstall D85’s. :frowning: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

coomsey:

windrush:

Pete.

Pete & Coomsey, Although the Kirkstall D85 axle was very reliable as I don’t recall we had any trouble whatsoever with any but as far as I was concerned they had more moving parts with having the hub reduction gears. Fair enough if your operation meant quite a bit of “off road” like building sites and road works etc.the hub reductions were better. But all our Eaton axles gave excellent service and also the couple of Rockwell axles in two Sed/Atks. ERF were major users of Kirkstall axles, they being ERF’s standard axle. I ordered both “B” and “C” Series ERF’s with the Eaton axle and for some reason the “C” Series were all badged as C38’s and the Kirkstall axled units were C 40’s. It didn’t bother me as the ,then, max GVW was 38 ton. But if I had been able to spec every Atky and ERF I bought they would have all had the Eaton axle. Unfortunately I had to take what I could get sometimes so they came with both Seddon Group and Kirkstall D85’s. :frowning: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Kirkstall was regarded as THE back axle in the 1950s / '60s for the “loose axle” market and for the chassis assemblers rather than the fully integrated vehicle builders. As Pete says the theory, and practice, of hub reduction was less strain on the half shafts. Albion axles were hub reduction and very well regarded.

The ERF NGC ‘European’, which was a successful ‘Middle-Easter’, was fitted with the Kirkstall D85 hub-reduction drive-axle as standard :wink: . Robert

KFH 250P Mark Bailey pic.jpg

Bewick:
I didn’t believe that a hub reduction was required for running on ordinary road surfaces. Cheers Dennis.

What did the Merc salesman say when you told him you that you wanted it with Eaton axle and a Fuller box. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

download/file.php?id=221781&t-1

smallcoal:
Hi dean joints seddon ,my mate John brown (hoss) brs Bridgend the old Waterton yard in Bridgend

Can remember that Seddon of Joint Motorways ,failing on the Teme bridge in Ludlow before the by pass ,regards Keith

gingerfold:
Kirkstall was regarded as THE back axle in the 1950s / '60s for the “loose axle” market and for the chassis assemblers rather than the fully integrated vehicle builders. As Pete says the theory, and practice, of hub reduction was less strain on the half shafts. Albion axles were hub reduction and very well regarded.

I still don’t know how I managed it, I once snapped a half shaft on an Albion reduction axle. All I was doing was easing it forward on the weighbridge at the old Ripon Gas works. :unamused: Double drive, reduction hubs, and your correspondent snapped a halfshaft, Old Fred Chappell swore at me…a lot. :smiley:

grumpy old man:

gingerfold:

I still don’t know how I managed it, I once snapped a half shaft on an Albion reduction axle. All I was doing was easing it forward on the weighbridge at the old Ripon Gas works. :unamused: Double drive, reduction hubs, and your correspondent snapped a halfshaft, Old Fred Chappell swore at me…a lot. :smiley:

Something must have snagged up somewhere I’d have thought. One problem with the double drive uncompensated suspension Albion rear bogie (sorry to sound technical but I’m only quoting what I heard years ago)…anyway there was no third diff between the axles and it was absolutely imperative to have tyres with identical, or very similar, tread depths. Otherwise the axles could fight each other. The Albion Reiver had two prop shafts from the gearbox, one for each axle IIRC.

pete smith:
Morning Dean,Hudsons of Dudley, Canal Street, Brierley Hill, thank you to Paul for taking
and to yourself for posting these cracking photo’s Dean, Cheer’s Pete

Thanks for the info and comments Pete,Paul will appreciate them ! :wink:

gazsa401:

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the F89 ■■ Been fitted with a large fuel tank.
Marshall ERF from Nottingham.

Hey up Dean the Volvo looks like an ex Walkers of Tuxfords the livery look similar
Also the ERF pulling the Marshall trailer belonged to C H Stead Transport from Nottingham they also ran Scammell Crusaders. Steads ceased trading when Trent Concrete went belly up in the late 90s

Thanks for the comments Gary ! :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:
Another shot of Frampton’s 5MW-cabbed ERF :wink: . Robert

Thanks Robert,nice pic. :smiley:

moomooland:
Fibreglass were part of the Pilkington Group Limited from St Helens.
Yard shot taken in the factory at St Helens during the 1970’s.
A London Transport Thames Trader recovery vehicle lends a helping hand with a Fiberglass 1972 registered
Ford ‘D’ Series tractor unit in the centre of London.

Thanks for the info and photos Paul ! :wink:

5thwheel:

DEANB:
K.W.Jones DAF. Is Jones a Welsh motor ■■

Dean,Jones Daf was from Newport Gwent,or so it says on the passenger door!,so to provide an answer to your question,yes it appears it is a Welsh motor.David

:laughing: :laughing:

240 Gardner:

gazsa401:

smallcoal:
Hi dean. Meachers was a big organisation from Southampton you don’t see them anymore like before cheers John

They also had a depot at Raynesway in Derby not far from Rolls Royce Cheers Gary

For the benefit of their Pirelli business, I think

Thanks Chris ! :smiley:

moomooland:
Registered new in 1965 Thames Trader drop-side tipper Reg No BOW 765C is now preserved in the livery of the Forestry Commission.

You certainly have an eye for these old ones Paul ! :laughing:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
I had some stuff on the Leader but cant find it. :unamused: I have not looked at the photo you are talking
about but they also offered the Venturer. Now we will wait for “240 Gardner” to come along and bollock as
all for talking rubbish as he knows a thing or two about these Atkinson’s ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Who, me??
Many of the twin steers, called ‘Rear Steer’ by Atkinson, were built for 32T operation, particularly where shorter trailers were in use, prior to the 4-axle 32T outfit coming into common use after the C&U regs were relaxed.
Although superficially similar, the ‘Leader’ was a heavier duty machine launched in October 1970, and designed for 38 ton operation at a time when the manufacturers all fondly believed we were going to get an uplift from 32 to 44T! When the weight increase didn’t happen, most were cut down to 4x2 tractors, as were many earlier Rear Steers.

Yeah “YOU” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

240 Gardner:

dave docwra:
Hi, Does anyone recognise this old girl, I stumbled across her in a yard along with a MK2 Marathon in Irthlingborough, I think she may have been an ex Agnew & Lithgow unit originally going by her registration number HSJ950N.

New to Osborne’s of Kilmarnock, apparently, and used to carry whisky. Here it is in 2007, at the Great Dorset Steam Fair:
1975 Atkinson Borderer HSJ950N.Martin Smith

And when in the ownership of Jim Horn:

Later, it passed to Ian Roberts of Carnoustie:

HSJ 950N Atkinson Borderer.Jim Horn

Later still:
Atkinson Borderer HSJ 950N.Gyles Carpenter

Sad to see it falling on hard times now :frowning:

That motor certainly had a life looking at the number of owners it had ! :smiley:

Muffy1982:

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the Crusader ■■? Never seen 3 x michelin men on a truck before ! :laughing:

Think it says R+K Sherland of Sturminster Newton on the door.

Its R & M Shepard of sturminster Newton

Thanks for the info chap ! :wink:

FLOURPOWER:
MIXED BUNCH TODAY

Nice pics “FLOURPOWER” thanks for posting ! :smiley:

Some oldies.

A04863p.JPG

A04862p.JPG

A04859p.JPG

A04855p.JPG

A04844p.JPG

A04837p.JPG

A04836p.JPG

A04838p.JPG

A04843p.JPG

ENJOY TODAYS SELECTION

img405 (2).jpg

img410 (3).jpg

FLOURPOWER:
ENJOY TODAYS SELECTION

Nice pics “FLOURPOWER”. :smiley: If anyone is intrested i put an article about Santa Fe on page 162.

Morning Dean,
The Scarab was new to Star Aluminium based on the Penn Road in Wolverhampton, now demolished and they also had another factory at Bridgnorth in Shropshire which is still operating but under another name, Cheer’s Pete

A04837p.JPG

pete smith:
Morning Dean,
The Scarab was new to Star Aluminium based on the Penn Road in Wolverhampton, now demolished and they also had another factory at Bridgnorth in Shropshire which is still operating but under another name, Cheer’s Pete

Morning Pete :smiley: Thanks for the info on that little Scarab well spotted chap ! :wink:

I put some stuff on about them on page 139 if anyone is intrested in them.