PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Abtfinman cliff ward is my cousin still going strong funny old bugger but I think the world of him regards rowley ward.

moomooland:
Thanks for the interesting info always good to get it from the horses mouth as they say. :smiley:

0Here’s a one of their Mandator’s you mentioned.

Hi Moomooland
Sorry but those are Mercurys. All the Mandators were Egromatic cabs with the 760 engine.

rward:
Abtfinman cliff ward is my cousin still going strong funny old bugger but I think the world of him regards rowley ward.

Hi rward yes I know. Cliff and I still keep in touch. Problem is there are not many of us left. And not even a handful that were there pre 1968.

abtfinman:

moomooland:
Thanks for the interesting info always good to get it from the horses mouth as they say. :smiley:

Here’s a one of their Mandator’s you mentioned.

Hi Moomooland
Sorry but those are Mercurys. All the Mandators were Egromatic cabs with the 760 engine.

On the left in the picture is an AEC Mercury the one on the right is an AEC Mandator Mk.V

moomooland:
3Nice shot of the Priestner ERF four wheeler.
Rob Cheetam kindly sent me this picture back in 2009.
It shows Priestner’s yard at Carrington in 1982 when the company closed down and their fleet went up for auction.

Some nice pics there Paul thanks for posting ! :smiley:

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:
Some period adverts.
Ray whats the bus ■■? :laughing:

Dean, The bus is an AEC Regent Mk V with what could be a Weymann body, Belonging to Rochdale Corporation.
Unusually, some of Rochdales AEC buses had Gardner engines. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Thanks Ray, i dont know anything about buses/coaches ! :wink:

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:
Actually, Ray, the predecessor to the ECW product in your photo, was actually an MCW product - the famous ‘Gay Hostess’ (Yes, I know, it had a different meaning in those days!) Atlanteans on the Standerwick fleet had body frames constructed by Metro Cammell in Birmingham, and were then finished by Weymann in Addlestone, near Woking.

Thanks for the pics and info Chris ! :laughing:

abtfinman:

Suedehead:
I think the Hoover Foden might actually be one of Cadburys.

No definitely Hoover. Drove for the fleet from 73 to 79. Left when BRS took over. The fleet had been AEC for many many years. In 1978 A batch of Fodens were purchased. Most were the S83s. there were only 2 Haulmasters bought. Driver of that unit was Cliff Ward.

Thanks for the info “abtfinman” about the Hoover Fodens. Do you have any pics ■■? :laughing: :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:
IIRC, Standerwick’s ‘Gay Hostesses’ were preceded by the express double-decker coaches known as ‘White Ladies’ and operated on trunk routes by their sister company, Ribble. They ran East Lancs bodied Leyland PD2s (a preserved one pictured below) in the 1950s and I can remember the ones that passed to Premier Travel in Cambridgeshire in the '60s. Just a bit of useless information from my teen-hood! Robert

Now then Robert, i did not know you were a bus anorak !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Thanks for the pic and info ! :wink:

240 Gardner:
Absolutely correct, Robert! The PD2s were the second generation of White Ladies, the first being PD1s with very similar-looking Burlingham bodies. White Ladies were for middle distance express services, rather than the motorway work the Gay Hostesses were designed for. A third generation of White Ladies was built in 1962, based on Atlantean chassis like the Hostesses, but with no toilet or refreshment service, and with 59 rather than 50 seats
The Ribble Vehicle Preservation Group have one of them, fully restored, together with an unrestored Hostess which needs £150,000 spending on it! I promise to stick to lorries again after this :blush:

Thanks again Chris, more intresting info ! :wink:

[zb]
anorak:
I promise to stick to lorries again after this :blush:

No problem with the buses. They are, after all, versions of lorries. A mere 50 seats in a full-size double-decker suggests they were very luxurious, IE the seats would have been big fat armchairs.

:laughing: :laughing: :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:
Don’t worry ‘240 Gardner’, the Leyland 0.600 engine is a sufficiently strong link between buses and lorries in this particular case :wink: ! Robert

Indeed its nice to see other stuff mentioned on here…might try and find some nice old tractors !! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

moomooland:

abtfinman:
Drove for the fleet from 73 to 79. Left when BRS took over.
The fleet had been AEC for many many years. In 1978 A batch of Foden’s were purchased. Most were the S83s. there were only 2 Haulmasters bought. Driver of that unit was Cliff Ward.

A bit before your time they ran Thames Traders with Scammell couplings.
1 Note the side shutters on they trailers.

0After the Thames Traders looks like they changed to AEC Mercury tractor units with 5th wheel couplings for the larger trailers.

They are cracking pics Paul !! :smiley: I do like a good black and white pic,thanks for posting. :smiley: :wink:

coomsey:
Invented in Finland in the 40s allegedly. Still never seen one on a Reiver let alone a Scammel. Surely these two must be owner mods. You’re our only witness so far Dave, any clues. Cheers Paul

Does anyone have any info on lift axles from the 70s and before ■■ :unamused:

abtfinman:
Hi There Moomooland
The Mercurys were there the same time as the Traders. The traders and those trailers with the scammell couplings were interfactory shunts, carrying components between the factories in Merthyr and Aberdare. They ran to a strict timetable , bit like a bus service for parts. After the Traders small Fords were used, I think they were D600s. The Mercurys were the long distance delivery vehicles for finished product. They took the washing machines and spinners direct to the retailer. Those lads used to be away for many nights at a time.
in 1968 the distribution system was changed. The fleet in Merthyr became AEC Mandators running at 32tons. They moved finished product from the three factories, Merthyr, Perivale (London) and Camberslang (Glasgow) to distribution centres, from where they were delivered by 16ton Vans. They also moved components between the three factories. A Scottish night trunk was in operation, principally to move electric motors from Camberslang to Merthyr. This ran seven nights a week. This was the fleet I joined in 1973
The interfactory drivers were strictly local. I remember one occasion when Cliff Ward and i went to Lancing in the little Fords to collect a couple of new trailers. We bounced all the way down. When we got there the trailers were not ready. A night out in Brighton and a dodgy the following night, they were slow.

Thanks for the post “abtfinman” :laughing: :wink:

moomooland:
Here’s a one of their Mandator’s you mentioned.

Another cracking pic Paul ! :laughing:

rward:

:laughing: :laughing:

C.C.Pritchard tidy Seddon.

Seddon.JPG

Thorn Colour Tubes Maggie.

A01670.JPG

New DAF tipper.

A01685.JPG

Mitchell Cotts ERF

A01687.JPG

Thompson Transport’s newish Bedford.

A01716.JPG

Old Bedford.

A01728.JPG

Thames

A01729.JPG

CBC Volvo F7 bulker.

A01782.JPG

Anyone recognise the Mercedes ■■?

A01807.JPG

Harris & Miners ERF overtaking PG Sidoli Fiat.

A01871.JPG

coomsey:
Invented in Finland in the 40s allegedly. Still never seen one on a Reiver let alone a Scammel. Surely these two must be owner mods. You’re our only witness so far Dave, any clues. Cheers Paul

Sorry no photos couldn’t afford a Brownie box camera . It was a Michelotti cabbed Scammel with an enclosed tipper body built limestone flour for animal feeds and glassworks . Loading was through 3 square hatches , and the lift axle was factory fitted . It was light for a 24ton 8 legger , payload was just over 16 ton . Went like crap off a shiny shovel with a 680 leyland and gate change box . When Steetley took over it went to Worksop for mot and the barstewards cut the pump right down and sealed it , useless after that . I left not long after . Dave.

rigsby:

coomsey:

Sorry no photos couldn’t afford a Brownie box camera . It was a Michelotti cabbed Scammel with an enclosed tipper body built limestone flour for animal feeds and glassworks . Loading was through 3 square hatches , and the lift axle was factory fitted . It was light for a 24ton 8 legger , payload was just over 16 ton . Went like crap off a shiny shovel with a 680 leyland and gate change box . When Steetley took over it went to Worksop for mot and the barstewards cut the pump right down and sealed it , useless after that . I left not long after . Dave.

Was that Dowlow pal? Would’ve been the Dowlow Stone company back then?

Seddon.JPGNice picture of that Seddon 32/4 it looks like it was powered by a Gardner engine.
Last time i drove one was back in 1980 and always remember the gear stick was like stirring a bowl of porridge :smiley: :smiley:
They were quite popular back in the day and built just up the road from me in Oldham in the days before they merged with Atkinson.

Here’s a close up shot of a Seddon Diesel 32/4 tractor unit.
Reg No NND 867H was the first brand new vehicle that Geoff Woodcock of Oldham bought back in 1969
and is seen here when fresh out of the paint shop.

DEANB:
Febry’s Transport GUY.

Great photo Dean and Paul

I love seeing pics of this fleet… :smiley:

R&W Febry were local to me. A large and varied fleet - I think they got to around 100 lorries at their peak. Lots of different marques, tippers, tankers, flats, 4, 6 and 8 wheel rigids and artics - they seemed to have them all. Long gone now unfortunately. Taken over by Renwicks Freight IIRC and all gone within a few years. Their old yard is 100 yards from my house, all built on now.
There always used to be lots of Febry’s involved with transport in the area - at least 8 or 10 of them, they were a large family - but there is only one left now, with just one lorry. A sad indictment of the times… :cry:

DEANB:
Old Bedford.

Thames

CBC Volvo F7 bulker.

Anyone recognise the Mercedes ■■?

Harris & Miners ERF overtaking PG Sidoli Fiat.

Hi Dean, I have just seen your “Spot The Deliberate Mistake” feature regarding the “Old Bedford”,
It is an Austin…Do I get the prize ? Cheers, Ray.

BonkeyDollocks:

rigsby:

coomsey:

Aye Bonkey ,Dowlow Lime and Stone Co , cracking job at first , 2 a day to Wincham paid 14 hours , spent most of the days in Graces cafe at Macc playing the pinball machines . Dave

rigsby:

coomsey:

Thanks Dave for your comments. :wink:

BonkeyDollocks:

:unamused:

moomooland:
1Nice picture of that Seddon 32/4 it looks like it was powered by a Gardner engine.
Last time i drove one was back in 1980 and always remember the gear stick was like stirring a bowl of porridge :smiley: :smiley:
They were quite popular back in the day and built just up the road from me in Oldham in the days before they merged with Atkinson.
Here’s a close up shot of a Seddon Diesel 32/4 tractor unit.
Reg No NND 867H was the first brand new vehicle that Geoff Woodcock of Oldham bought back in 1969
and is seen here when fresh out of the paint shop.

Nice pic chap ! I expect you saw it but i did post a road test featuring the Seddon a while back ! :laughing: :wink:

Piston broke:

DEANB:
Febry’s Transport GUY.
Great photo Dean and Paul
I love seeing pics of this fleet… :smiley:
R&W Febry were local to me. A large and varied fleet - I think they got to around 100 lorries at their peak. Lots of different marques, tippers, tankers, flats, 4, 6 and 8 wheel rigids and artics - they seemed to have them all. Long gone now unfortunately. Taken over by Renwicks Freight IIRC and all gone within a few years. Their old yard is 100 yards from my house, all built on now.
There always used to be lots of Febry’s involved with transport in the area - at least 8 or 10 of them, they were a large family - but there is only one left now, with just one lorry. A sad indictment of the times… :cry:

“Piston broke”, there have been a few of Febrys posted on here.

Heres one i found on a french site.

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:
Old Bedford.

Hi Dean, I have just seen your “Spot The Deliberate Mistake” feature regarding the “Old Bedford”,

Now then Ray ! :unamused: Must admit i am not that good on the old stuff,bit before my time chap !! :laughing: :laughing:

A bonus pic for you then Ray, whats the make of these two ■■? Dont get it wrong chap as we now know there are
a few other bus Anoraks on here !! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Click on page twice to view.

Anyone recognise the FB88 ■■?

A02640.JPG

Seddon Atkinson Butler tanker.

A02626.JPG

British Steel Roadtrain.

A02792.JPG

Partrick mighty 141

A02632.JPG

Burt Boulton timber Bedford.

A02633.JPG

Barr Soft Drinks Seddon Atkinson.

A02635.JPG

Smedley HP ERF

A02636.JPG

Currie European DAF 2800

A02647.JPG

RG Miles Volvo F10

A02648.JPG

RB Jones Transport Foden.

A02682.JPG

A02635.JPGBarr Soft Drinks famous for Tizer and Iron Brew.

Another of Barr’s Seddon Atkinson 400 Series Reg No C619 KYS seen here in Dunstable in August 1986.
Photograph courtesy of Kevin Lane.

Established by Robert Barr in Falkirk in 1875, the company today has an annual turnover of over £254m with a fleet of
around lorries, most of which today are Mercedes-Benz.

Mercedes-Benz-Trucks-Bevan-AG-Barr.jpg Today 18-tonne Mercedes Actros four wheeler’s, in Barr’s latest livery, are used for multi drop deliveries.

A.G. Barr company history

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:
Old Bedford.

Now then Ray ! :unamused: Must admit i am not that good on the old stuff,bit before my time chap !! :laughing: :laughing:

A bonus pic for you then Ray, whats the make of these two ■■? Dont get it wrong chap as we now know there are
a few other bus Anoraks on here !! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Click on page twice to view.

Hi Dean, The 6 Wheeler coach is Bedford VAL, The one that I drove had a Leyland engine.
I think the bodywork is by Martins Caetano of Portugal.

The Bradford Corporation double decker is a Leyland Atlantean, the bodywork looks like
Wm. Alexander of Falkirk. 95 % certain on both vehicles. Regards, Ray.