PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:
You seem to like the Scammell Routeman Paul so you may find this intresting. :wink:

Blue Circle. HI Paul the write up on the Blue Circle cement Routemans was a driver who drove for them back in the day which Dave pearson
who brought a few off the company and restored one back to brand new again love all your photos keep it going your doing great mate
and by the way with Many thanks to you and Dean for some great photos that you have sent over to me Daz :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Click on pages twice to read.

ERF-NGC-European:

nomiS36:
Those ERF’s look fantastic. I don’t remember ever seeing them on the road. Has anybody noticed the first one in the line up has a different roof and air kit? Olympic? Wonder why one was spec’d different to the rest.

You’re right: the first one has the Olympic cab. Robert

Cheers Robert ! :smiley:

nomiS36:
I’d love to drive an ec14 even now. I drove a few ec11’s back in the day and always liked them, especially the sound of the ■■■■■■■■ A ■■■■■■■ powered Foden 8 wheeler with a stack came past me the other day, sounded superb!

:laughing:

ArcDaz:
Hi Dean
i would like a copy of this C webster routeman tanker on page 81 please Reg PCH 628R
I all ready have the one which is peter J Davies at toddington services as i have been looking through my photos
I am very pleased with the ones you have sent acroos to me over the moon :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Daz

Paul will be pleased you are over the moon with his pics ! :laughing:

Dieseldog66:
RE Benfields, Benfields were the Saviem/Man dealers in Deddington Oxon I think they later became Berliet dealers too, Cliff

Thanks Cliff for the comment. Were they also a Renault dealer ■■? :unamused:

Thanks for the pic and possible name “revman” :laughing:

TIDDERSON:

moomooland:
2I stand to be corrected Dean :blush: You were right it is one of Hoover’s S90 Foden tractor units.
1Here’s another shot of Reg No ALL 187S. :smiley:
Photograph courtesy of John Wakely

The 2nd photo looks like a BRS contract unit with RLC fleet no. on the door. I know they had a Cadburys contract for a while so may have come back to cover the Hoover contract? Similar fleet no. on the Scania

Thanks for your comment “TIDDERSON” :unamused:

ArcDaz:

DEANB:
You seem to like the Scammell Routeman Paul so you may find this intresting. :wink:
Blue Circle. HI Paul the write up on the Blue Circle cement Routemans was a driver who drove for them back in the day which Dave pearson who brought a few off the company and restored one back to brand new again love all your photos keep it going your doing great mate and by the way with Many thanks to you and Dean for some great photos that you have sent over to me Daz :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers Daz ! :wink:

The Scammell Scarab.

L0593p.JPG

Click on pages twice.

Those Scammell Scarab’s were everywhere at one time :smiley:

Scammell Scarab 5.jpg

moomooland:
Those Scammell Scarab’s were everywhere at one time :smiley:

Nice pics chap, they were very popular with the railways. :wink:

A few of you liked the Don Bush motor so heres another one.

L1513p.JPG

Dolphin Plastics Transcon from Poole.

L1511p.JPG

Edge Transport’s Bedford from Chester. Looks like it used to do the continent looking at the front.

L1395p.JPG

Bibby Marathon tanker.

L0691p.JPG

Wincham ERF

L0620p.JPG

Febry’s Transport GUY.

L0550.JPG

Priestner ERF

Priestner.JPG

Frigoscandia Scania 111

L0651p.JPG

Denby Crusader.

L0581p.JPG

Gamford Farms ERF

L0657p.JPG

Some period adverts.

Ray whats the bus ■■? :laughing:

Dodge.

Click on page twice.

Priestner.JPGNice shot of the Priestner ERF four wheeler.

Priestner 3.jpg
Rob Cheetam kindly sent me this picture back in 2009.
It shows Priestner’s yard at Carrington in 1982 when the company closed down and their fleet went up for auction.

DEANB:
Some period adverts.

Ray whats the bus ■■? :laughing:

Dean, The bus is an AEC Regent Mk V with what could be a Weymann body, Belonging to Rochdale Corporation.
Unusually, some of Rochdales AEC buses had Gardner engines. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dean, The bus manufacturer is Metro-Cammell-Weymann, who I believe were at Washwood Heath in Birmingham. MCW were a major bus body builder,
usually building bodywork on to chassis from Leyland, AEC, Guy, Daimler, etc. In the 1970s, MCW built a large number of Metro-Scania complete buses,
for Liverpool, London, and Manchester, double deckers and single deckers. The complete engine, transmission, and front and back wheels were sent over
from Sweden in a very short wheelbase chassis form, and then separated, and installed in to the body work to form a complete bus. The Leyland PD3 bus
on the left in the picture is fitted with a 72 seat MCW body, the Bristol VRL has a coach body by Eastern Coach Works of Lowestoft…ECW. I know Trucknet
is not a Bus Forum, but at least it answers Deans question. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Actually, Ray, the predecessor to the ECW product in your photo, was actually an MCW product - the famous ‘Gay Hostess’ (Yes, I know, it had a different meaning in those days!) Atlanteans on the Standerwick fleet had body frames constructed by Metro Cammell in Birmingham, and were then finished by Weymann in Addlestone, near Woking.

Click on the photos for more info:

MCW frame on Atlantean chassis. by alan farrow, on Flickr

Standerwick Gay Hostess Atlanteans at Victoria Coach Station 1960s by Brian, on Flickr

Suedehead:
I think the Hoover Foden might actually be one of Cadburys.

No definitely Hoover. Drove for the fleet from 73 to 79. Left when BRS took over. The fleet had been AEC for many many years. In 1978 A batch of Fodens were purchased. Most were the S83s. there were only 2 Haulmasters bought. Driver of that unit was Cliff Ward.

IIRC, Standerwick’s ‘Gay Hostesses’ were preceded by the express double-decker coaches known as ‘White Ladies’ and operated on trunk routes by their sister company, Ribble. They ran East Lancs bodied Leyland PD2s (a preserved one pictured below) in the 1950s and I can remember the ones that passed to Premier Travel in Cambridgeshire in the '60s. Just a bit of useless information from my teen-hood! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
IIRC, Standerwick’s ‘Gay Hostesses’ were preceded by the express double-decker coaches known as ‘White Ladies’ and operated on trunk routes by their sister company, Ribble. They ran East Lancs bodied Leyland PD2s (a preserved one pictured below) in the 1950s and I can remember the ones that passed to Premier Travel in Cambridgeshire in the '60s. Just a bit of useless information from my teen-hood! Robert

Absolutely correct, Robert! The PD2s were the second generation of White Ladies, the first being PD1s with very similar-looking Burlingham bodies. White Ladies were for middle distance express services, rather than the motorway work the Gay Hostesses were designed for. A third generation of White Ladies was built in 1962, based on Atlantean chassis like the Hostesses, but with no toilet or refreshment service, and with 59 rather than 50 seats

The Ribble Vehicle Preservation Group have one of them, fully restored, together with an unrestored Hostess which needs £150,000 spending on it!

Ribble 1279 RRN 428 at Chorley by Ian Roberts, on Flickr
STANDERWICK 25 by Ribble Vehicle Preservation Trust, on Flickr

I promise to stick to lorries again after this :blush:

240 Gardner:
…Absolutely correct, Robert! The PD2s were the second generation of White Ladies, the first being PD1s with very similar-looking Burlingham bodies. White Ladies were for middle distance express services, rather than the motorway work the Gay Hostesses were designed for. A third generation of White Ladies was built in 1962, based on Atlantean chassis like the Hostesses, but with no toilet or refreshment service, and with 59 rather than 50 seats

The Ribble Vehicle Preservation Group have one of them, fully restored, together with an unrestored Hostess which needs £150,000 spending on it!

No problem with the buses. They are, after all, versions of lorries. A mere 50 seats in a full-size double-decker suggests they were very luxurious, IE the seats would have been big fat armchairs.

240 Gardner:

ERF-NGC-European:

Absolutely correct, Robert! The PD2s were the second generation of White Ladies, the first being PD1s with very similar-looking Burlingham bodies. White Ladies were for middle distance express services, rather than the motorway work the Gay Hostesses were designed for. A third generation of White Ladies was built in 1962, based on Atlantean chassis like the Hostesses, but with no toilet or refreshment service, and with 59 rather than 50 seats

Don’t worry ‘240 Gardner’, the Leyland 0.600 engine is a sufficiently strong link between buses and lorries in this particular case :wink: ! Robert

abtfinman:
Drove for the fleet from 73 to 79. Left when BRS took over.
The fleet had been AEC for many many years. In 1978 A batch of Foden’s were purchased. Most were the S83s. there were only 2 Haulmasters bought. Driver of that unit was Cliff Ward.

A bit before your time they ran Thames Traders with Scammell couplings.

Thames Trader Hoover.JPG Note the side shutters on they trailers.

After the Thames Traders looks like they changed to AEC Mercury tractor units with 5th wheel couplings for the larger trailers.

A02622.JPG
Invented in Finland in the 40s allegedly. Still never seen one on a Reiver let alone a Scammel. Surely these two must be owner mods. You’re our only witness so far Dave, any clues. Cheers Paul

moomooland:

abtfinman:
Drove for the fleet from 73 to 79. Left when BRS took over.
The fleet had been AEC for many many years. In 1978 A batch of Foden’s were purchased. Most were the S83s. there were only 2 Haulmasters bought. Driver of that unit was Cliff Ward.

A bit before your time they ran Thames Traders with Scammell couplings.
1 Note the side shutters on they trailers.

0After the Thames Traders looks like they changed to AEC Mercury tractor units.

Hi There Moomooland
The Mercurys were there the same time as the Traders. The traders and those trailers with the scammell couplings were interfactory shunts, carrying components between the factories in Merthyr and Aberdare. They ran to a strict timetable , bit like a bus service for parts. After the Traders small Fords were used, I think they were D600s. The Mercurys were the long distance delivery vehicles for finished product. They took the washing machines and spinners direct to the retailer. Those lads used to be away for many nights at a time.
in 1968 the distribution system was changed. The fleet in Merthyr became AEC Mandators running at 32tons. They moved finished product from the three factories, Merthyr, Perivale (London) and Camberslang (Glasgow) to distribution centres, from where they were delivered by 16ton Vans. They also moved components between the three factories. A Scottish night trunk was in operation, principally to move electric motors from Camberslang to Merthyr. This ran seven nights a week. This was the fleet I joined in 1973
The interfactory drivers were strictly local. I remember one occasion when Cliff Ward and i went to Lancing in the little Fords to collect a couple of new trailers. We bounced all the way down. When we got there the trailers were not ready. A night out in Brighton and a dodgy the following night, they were slow.

Thanks for the interesting info always good to get it from the horses mouth as they say. :smiley:

Here’s a one of their Mandator’s you mentioned.