PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Excellent photos Dean. It’s been a good while since you saw Tone Vale with a flat trailer!

Thanks for posting

David

Cracking stuff mate, ta for posting!

Star of the show in my humble opinion… :wink:

A00005.JPG

oiltreader:
Hi Pete, Trevor and Dean, enjoying the photos, ref:- “The Foden has been preserved and in the livery of Shellabear Price from Walsall as it is a Walsall reg no I presume that is the original owner and it looks like the same livery as in Dean’s pic.

From and thanks to Steve Glover a fellow flickrite, snapped at Llandudno 2014.
Oily

Thanks Oily ,Nice to see its been restored !

David Miller:
Excellent photos Dean. It’s been a good while since you saw Tone Vale with a flat trailer!

Thanks for posting

David

Thanks David, all the photos are Pauls.

pv83:

Thanks Patrick !

Looks like a maggie deutz ? There were loads of them about in the 70s.

A00027.JPG

A00028.JPG

A00029.JPG

A00030.JPG

A00031.JPG

AD06.JPG

AD07.JPG

AD08.JPG

Remember the babycham trucks well !

AD09.JPG

AD10.JPG

Memories rekindled after seeing that R&O ERF with a ■■■■■■■ badge on it but in truth they had a lot of Garner engine ERF’s. Having taken my HGV in Redruth in 1973 I stayed and worked out of Cornwall for a year and went past there yard lots of times, they did a lot of china clay up the country in bulk as well as pallets. Always remember a café with a long layby in Somerset before motorways, think that started at Taunton back then and a break round Bristol, anyways it was a favourite haunt for R&O drivers as there was a pub almost next door to the café so ideal place to stop overnight, something I rarely did as IIRC I was running on two logbooks back then. My point being in the morning they fired up these Gardeners and it looked like a hayrick was on fire, then after brecky they trundled off home, MH moment again Buzzer.
Great pictures of times past, cheers.

pete 359:
Good evening DEANB,
I’m loving these photos,the colour images look like the ross on wye bypass to me? thank you for sharing.
regards andrew.

Paul has confirmed what you said Pete,they were taken on the Ross on Wye bypass. Apparently there is now
a roundabout and KFC there,which were not there when he took the pics !

Started driving lorries/trucks in '69.

‘In 69 I was 21 and called the world my own’. Running on empty!

Love these photos. As a photographer I make a good truck driver!

I’m amazed at how many of these I drove and / or owned. Leyland Comet 4 wheeler. BMC 6 wheeler 5.1 engine I think. 2 Mastiffs. 1 BMC, 1 Leyland. Daf 2200. Atkinson, ■■■■■■■ 205. Scania 110, Scania 140, Scania 111. Daf 2800. Volvo F86, Volvo F88, silver grille, 130? Never felt underpowered. Scania 110 day cab in the vicious desert heat of Saudi Arabia. Wonderful oil air filter, must have dumped tons of sand out of it. Saviem. Useless brakes, useless electrics. Small radiator, terrible overheating problems in Summer. You couldn’t get it near top gear - maybe 5th low on the ZF handlebar gearbox! Reliable engine. Got me back from Jeddah to Dammam, 1,000 miles, with a little end pinging like mad particularly up Taif mountain. Picture of the 110 day cab and the Saviem outside Sealand terminal 1978, waiting for a load. At the time I owned the 110, later the Saviem

Kenworh cabover with ■■■■■■■ engine 290 I think. Certainly for me the best suited tractor for Saudi. No good for UK. Turning circle 1/2 mile!

Also took a normal control Kenworth with (I think) a 450 ■■■■■■■ into Dammam Port. The Philippino driver didn’t have a Saudi licence so couldn’t go on the port. Got it up to 90 MPH before I realised I was just being silly!

Hannomag Henschel. Unterflur Bussing. To be fair, these were inherited tractors that we mainly used for local shunting in Dammam.

ERF. B series 6 wheelers. I did drive them, but by then I was Transport manager at Al Qafila. ‘Caravan Trading and General Services.’ Not caravans - ships of the desert.

Scania 142. 8 wheeler cut down to a 6 wheeler tractor, bought at discount because they couldn’t sell it!

image.jpg

Philippino Severino Bernardo at the Helm. ERF also in view. We ran several 112s as well, but I don’t remember actually driving one.

Halcyon days!

John.

pv83:

Agreed , a star , what’s the tractor anyone ? not a Cat , maybe Fiat Allis ?
Jim

John West:

I’m amazed at how many of these I drove and / or owned. Leyland Comet 4 wheeler. BMC 6 wheeler 5.1 engine I think. 2 Mastiffs. 1 BMC, 1 Leyland. Daf 2200. Atkinson, ■■■■■■■ 205. Scania 110, Scania 140, Scania 111. Daf 2800. Volvo F86, Volvo F88, silver grille, 130? Never felt underpowered. Scania 110 day cab in the vicious desert heat of Saudi Arabia. Wonderful oil air filter, must have dumped tons of sand out of it. Saviem. Useless brakes, useless electrics. Small radiator, terrible overheating problems in Summer. You couldn’t get it near top gear - maybe 5th low on the ZF handlebar gearbox! Reliable engine. Got me back from Jeddah to Dammam, 1,000 miles, with a little end pinging like mad particularly up Taif mountain. Picture of the 110 day cab and the Saviem outside Sealand terminal 1978, waiting for a load. At the time I owned the 110, later the Saviem

Kenworh cabover with ■■■■■■■ engine 290 I think. Certainly for me the best suited tractor for Saudi. No good for UK. Turning circle 1/2 mile!
Also took a normal control Kenworth with (I think) a 450 ■■■■■■■ into Dammam Port. The Philippino driver didn’t have a Saudi licence so couldn’t go on the port. Got it up to 90 MPH before I realised I was just being silly!

Hannomag Henschel. Unterflur Bussing. To be fair, these were inherited tractors that we mainly used for local shunting in Dammam.

ERF. B series 6 wheelers. I did drive them, but by then I was Transport manager at Al Qafila. ‘Caravan Trading and General Services.’ Not caravans - ships of the desert.

Scania 142. 8 wheeler cut down to a 6 wheeler tractor, bought at discount because they couldn’t sell it!

Philippino Severino Bernardo at the Helm. ERF also in view. We ran several 112s as well, but I don’t remember actually driving one.

Halcyon days!

John.

Fascinating post John. Sound your working life has been quite an adventure.
Regards
Johnny

Sent from my Hol-U19 using Tapatalk

Buzzer:
Memories rekindled after seeing that R&O ERF with a ■■■■■■■ badge on it but in truth they had a lot of Garner engine ERF’s. Having taken my HGV in Redruth in 1973 I stayed and worked out of Cornwall for a year and went past there yard lots of times, they did a lot of china clay up the country in bulk as well as pallets. Always remember a café with a long layby in Somerset before motorways, think that started at Taunton back then and a break round Bristol, anyways it was a favourite haunt for R&O drivers as there was a pub almost next door to the café so ideal place to stop overnight, something I rarely did as IIRC I was running on two logbooks back then. My point being in the morning they fired up these Gardeners and it looked like a hayrick was on fire, then after brecky they trundled off home, MH moment again Buzzer.
Great pictures of times past, cheers.

Thanks for the memories Buzzer ! Now you have me confused,i always thought you were a Hampshire lad ?
How come you took your HGV in Redruth ■■ Or have i not been paying attention !! :smiley:

JFC999:

pv83:

Jim

Jim, i think it may be a Komatsu ? But i am no expert on dozers so no doubt Patrick will confirm what it is.

DEANB:

JFC999:

pv83:

Jim

Jim, i think it may be a Komatsu ? But i am no expert on dozers so no doubt Patrick will confirm what it is.

It is a Komatsu

jsutherland:

John West:

Halcyon days!

John.

Fascinating post John. Sound your working life has been quite an adventure.
Regards
Johnny

Sent from my Hol-U19 using Tapatalk

Thanks John, i agree with Johnny you have certainly got about a bit ! The silver grill 88’s were 240 bhp in
the UK from memory. You would have thought that the saviem being French built would have been ok in the heat ? I appreciate Saudi would have been alot hotter,but the South of France is normally around the 100 mark in the summer. Thanks for the post and pics. :wink:

DEANB:

oiltreader:
Hi Pete, Trevor and Dean, enjoying the photos, ref:- “The Foden has been preserved and in the livery of Shellabear Price from Walsall as it is a Walsall reg no I presume that is the original owner and it looks like the same livery as in Dean’s pic.

Oily

David Miller:

Thanks for posting

David

pv83:

Thanks Patrick !

Hi Dean,
Thank you for posting these cracking set of pics,the normal control Maggie tipper looks like one of Coleman’s from Birmingham, they ran a fair few of them and the Seddon Atki tipper looks like one of Mervyn Appleby’s from Wolverhampton, Cheers Pete

pete smith:

DEANB:

oiltreader:

Oily

David Miller:

Thanks for posting

David

pv83:

Thanks Patrick !

A00032.JPG

A00033.JPG

A00034.JPG

A00035.JPG

A00036.JPG

AD11.JPG

AD12.JPG

AD13.JPG

AD14.JPG

AD16.JPG

Hi Dean,
Thank you for posting these cracking set of pics,the normal control Maggie tipper looks like one of Coleman’s from Birmingham, they ran a fair few of them and the Seddon Atki tipper looks like one of Mervyn Appleby’s from Wolverhampton, Cheers Pete

Thanks for the info Pete ! Those maggies were really popular in the 70s especially as 8 wheeler tippers with
the ordinary cab. Air cooled from memory.Does anyone know why the packed in building trucks ■■?

Today we have,Atkinson,Leyland,Maggies,Scammell,Foden,Volvo,Erf and Mercedes. How things have changed
only Volvo and Mercedes left now !

A00032.JPG

A00033.JPG

A00034.JPG

A00035.JPG

A00036.JPG

AD11.JPG

AD12.JPG

AD13.JPG

AD14.JPG

AD16.JPG

I wonder what the list price of that new 240LXB Foden would have been in the day ? not that it would have tempted me though ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
I wonder what the list price of that new 240LXB Foden would have been in the day ? not that it would have tempted me though ! Cheers Bewick.

What do you reckon then Dennis,somewhere around £13 to £15,000 ? I know in 1975 a f88 was about £16,000.

DEANB:

Bewick:

What do you reckon then Dennis,somewhere around £13 to £15,000 ? I know in 1975 a f88 was about £16,000.

IIRC Dean in Jan 1977 I paid £13,500 for a Scania 111 5 speed day cab, £14,000 for a 10speed day cab and £15,000 apiece for a Sleeper cab 240LXB Sed Atk and an F88.all net of VAT which was claimed back ! Cheers Dennis.

Tidy looking Daf.

A00037.JPG

A00038.JPG

A00039.JPG

A00040.JPG

Nice old Wynns atki.

A00041.JPG

Nice pic of Jameson’s 88.

AD20.JPG

AD19.JPG

AD21.JPG

AD22.JPG

AD23.JPG

Bewick:

DEANB:

Bewick:

IIRC Dean in Jan 1977 I paid £13,500 for a Scania 111 5 speed day cab, £14,000 for a 10speed day cab and £15,000 apiece for a Sleeper cab 240LXB Sed Atk and an F88.all net of VAT which was claimed back ! Cheers Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, so basically a sleeper was costing about a grand more !

DEANB:

Bewick:

DEANB:

Bewick:

Thanks Dennis, so basically a sleeper was costing about a grand more !

That’s about right Dean ! although in late 1975 I sent a couple of new Atki Borderers to a firm in Cheshire, just can’t recall the name, to have “sleeper” conversions but they were a lot less than £1,000 each. Cheers Dennis.