A02205.JPG

Anyone recognise the Atkinson ■■?

A02206.JPG

H.H.Williamson & Son Scania.

A02210.JPG

DEANB:
I spoil you Mark R :wink:

Towmaster ERF

I used to see three or four Towmaster wagons every night when I was on Scottish trunk for MFS late 70s and early 80s. I believe they were owned by Bell’s Whisky or whoever owned Bell’s and their trunk was Denaby - Newton Aycliffe - Newport Pagnell - Denaby,so I was told. Whatever,they didn’t hang about in those “B” Series,nearly as quick as Charles Alexander’s Marathons - but not quite. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Towmaster ERF.JPG Towmaster Transport were the transport division of Scotch Whisky distiller Arthur Bell and Sons.
In 1982 they had a fleet of 90 vehicles and over 170 trailers, including 40 foot flat beds, curtain siders, tankers, box vans, tilts and tippers running out of four depots at Queenborough on the Isle of Sheppey, Doncaster, Irlam and Edinburgh.

DEANB:
Evans & Reid new ERF

That reg on the ERF is familiar - I have a feeling its still around, perhaps on the show circuit?

Nice to see a pic of Williamson’s Scania. Was it about the same time as they had the Mack’s?

Great pics again Dean and Paul - soo many memories reawakened… :smiley:

Chris Webb:

DEANB:

Towmaster ERF

I used to see three or four Towmaster wagons every night when I was on Scottish trunk for MFS late 70s and early 80s. I believe they were owned by Bell’s Whisky or whoever owned Bell’s and their trunk was Denaby - Newton Aycliffe - Newport Pagnell - Denaby,so I was told. Whatever,they didn’t hang about in those “B” Series,nearly as quick as Charles Alexander’s Marathons - but not quite. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ha Ha thanks Dean, yes you do spoil us all…my uncle worked for Towmaster’s Isle of Sheppey depot mainly carrying empty bottles from the glassworks at Queenborough. He’s usual run was a night trunk to Milton Keynes where he changed over with a Doncaster driver. I used to go with him on a Friday night as I didn’t have to get up for school the next morning!

A02279.JPGNTX 855R registered new in September 1976!
That is a late one Chris any ideas?
I wonder if they bought it the previous year and had it stored away unregistered for a year and a half.

:smiley: Paul can I share this picture as I helped to build the BRS wrecker and it is me driving it

DEANB:

ramone:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Thanks Chris,nice pics again,would imagine the View Line was a pretty rare motor ! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

It was indeed - I’m pretty sure it was the first one ever restored, having had what was virtually a brand new cab built between 1987 and 1991:

I`m going to show my ignorance here , but what was the Viewliner all about ? Was it a new version of the Atki cab that never caught on or was it an alternative to say the Borderer cab ?

“ramone” i will join you i probably have read about them years ago ! Chris how many were made me old
mucker ! Paul still reads all the posts on here and sent this pic today ! :smiley: :wink:

Hi Dean. A few pages back Andrew asked if Rowly might know the driver of the Rhys Davies F88.
I sent the photo to my friend Robin who had an F88 when he worked for them. He seemed to think he added curtains to his but said there is a possibility it is him, obviously a few years ago. Robin said they only had a few and had crankshaft problems with them. They were replaced with Marathons. Robin moved on to Peters Pies and drove their Transcon’s. I remember them in white with a yellow stripe, they were flying machines.
Rowly may remember Robin as he is a Blackpool lad transplanted to Mountain Ash. He transferred down working on the Phillips contract at Hirwaun.

Talking about Marathons I forwarded a photo to Robin of an A.E.Evans Marathon as he had been to the Isle of Man recently and met Chris Webb. Robin sent it to Chris and it turned out it was the man himself driving it.
Great photo’s lead to great stories.

Regards Paul

Yes Paul John,we met up and did a few miles int UK and then on Interstates whilst the wives shook their heads in disbelief. :laughing:
Next day we went to the Manx Motor Museum which has a rake of American stuff in there plus a 3 axled Greyhound bus under restoration.
Is “bus” allowed on here… :grimacing:

Mornlake F.JPGMornflake Oats are based at North Western Mills, Gresty Rd, Crewe.

mornflake-001.jpg

They have been in business since 1675 making them Britain’s 4th oldest family owned company.

Morn ERF-001.JPG As well as running their own transport they also used contractors vehicles painted in Mornflake livery as is the case with this ERF EC6 which, in June 2009, was operated by J Leech of Haslington Cheshire.

Here’s a shot taken on Nantwich Road, Crewe on the 9th of November 2011 showing a MAN TGA in the company’s updated orange livery.

The Mornflake Story

moomooland:
0NTX 855R registered new in September 1976!
I wonder if they bought it the previous year and had it stored away unregistered for a year and a half.

It wasn’t entirely uncommon for operators to buy new vehicles and store them, usually for financial reasons. There were quite a few R-reg Atkis out there, not to mention S-plates - even a T-plate one that’s now in preservation. Production finished in April 1975, which was during the N-reg period. Allowing for preparation (turntable, wings, paint, etc), not to mention hanging on for the new reg, it’s easy to see why there are plenty about on P-plates, whilst early 400 Series were out as N’s.

Going back to operators storing vehicles, when I visited Longton Coachcraft one day in 1988, there was an unused 400 Series in there, being converted to a sleeper and painted for an owner driver - it had come from Holt Lane Transport and had been stored for 10 years, In fact, on one of the Welsh threads on here, there are recent photos of 2 unused 400 Series, dry stored from new, and still in factory primer.

Sid Harrison famously had 4 new Fodens dry stored for many, many years, and there is a C-reg (1985) ERF LV 4-wheeler in preservation, and which was dry stored for 20 years before being registered: I vaguely recall that it was bought new by Joseph Grant.

Of course, another possibility is that it was unsold dealer stock: in the latter days of the Mk.2, bog-standard spec motors (220 ■■■■■■■ usually, I think) were built for stock rather than for specific orders

moomooland:

Hi all,
Up until the late 1980’s JR used to buy large numbers of brand new tractor units and store them on a farm.In my opinion this was one of those vehicles? They had a lot of R and S registered borderers.Purchased a few years earlier,then registered when required.
Regards Andrew.

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
Towmaster ERF

Thanks for the details Chris ! :wink:

moomooland:
2 Towmaster Transport were the transport division of Scotch Whisky distiller Arthur Bell and Sons.
In 1982 they had a fleet of 90 vehicles and over 170 trailers, including 40 foot flat beds, curtain siders, tankers, box vans, tilts and tippers running out of four depots at Queenborough on the Isle of Sheppey, Doncaster, Irlam and Edinburgh.

Thanks for the information and pics Paul,spot on ! :smiley: :wink:

Piston broke:

DEANB:
Evans & Reid new ERF

That reg on the ERF is familiar - I have a feeling its still around, perhaps on the show circuit?
Nice to see a pic of Williamson’s Scania. Was it about the same time as they had the Mack’s?
Great pics again Dean and Paul - soo many memories reawakened… :smiley:

Thanks for the comments “Piston broke” where have you been,locked up or something ! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

I knew a driver who drove one of there Mack’s and he thought it was crap ! I dont know why but he
was used to Volvo’s and Scania’s,and did not rate the Mack at all. :unamused:

Mark R:

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
Towmaster ERF

Ha Ha thanks Dean, yes you do spoil us all…my uncle worked for Towmaster’s Isle of Sheppey depot mainly carrying empty bottles from the glassworks at Queenborough. He’s usual run was a night trunk to Milton Keynes where he changed over with a Doncaster driver. I used to go with him on a Friday night as I didn’t have to get up for school the next morning!

Happy days Mark ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

moomooland:

:unamused:

STUEY:
:smiley: Paul can I share this picture as I helped to build the BRS wrecker and it is me driving it

Hello “STUEY”, no worries just make sure you leave the copy right on it if you are posting online ! :wink:

Paul John:
Hi Dean. A few pages back Andrew asked if Rowly might know the driver of the Rhys Davies F88.I sent the photo to my friend Robin who had an F88 when he worked for them. He seemed to think he added curtains to his but said there is a possibility it is him, obviously a few years ago. Robin said they only had a few and had crankshaft problems with them. They were replaced with Marathons. Robin moved on to Peters Pies and drove their Transcon’s. I remember them in white with a yellow stripe, they were flying machines. Rowly may remember Robin as he is a Blackpool lad transplanted to Mountain Ash. He transferred down working on the Phillips contract at Hirwaun.
Talking about Marathons I forwarded a photo to Robin of an A.E.Evans Marathon as he had been to the Isle of Man recently and met Chris Webb. Robin sent it to Chris and it turned out it was the man himself driving it.Great photo’s lead to great stories.Regards Paul

Paul will be pleased that his pics are bringing alot of memories back to so many drivers ! :laughing: :wink:

Chris Webb:
Yes Paul John,we met up and did a few miles int UK and then on Interstates whilst the wives shook their heads in disbelief. :laughing:
Next day we went to the Manx Motor Museum which has a rake of American stuff in there plus a 3 axled Greyhound bus under restoration.Is “bus” allowed on here… :grimacing:

Since its you Chris pop your bus on here !! :laughing: :wink:

moomooland:
3Mornflake Oats are based at North Western Mills, Gresty Rd, Crewe.
They have been in business since 1675 making them Britain’s 4th oldest family owned company.
As well as running their own transport they also used contractors vehicles painted in Mornflake livery as is the case with this ERF EC6 which, in June 2009, was operated by J Leech of Haslington Cheshire.[/b]

Great pics Paul. I definately like there old colour scheme compared to the new one ! Thanks for
the link thats incredible that they are the 4th oldest family owned company ! :open_mouth: Brilliant ! :wink:

240 Gardner:

moomooland:

It wasn’t entirely uncommon for operators to buy new vehicles and store them, usually for financial reasons. There were quite a few R-reg Atkis out there, not to mention S-plates - even a T-plate one that’s now in preservation. Production finished in April 1975, which was during the N-reg period. Allowing for preparation (turntable, wings, paint, etc), not to mention hanging on for the new reg, it’s easy to see why there are plenty about on P-plates, whilst early 400 Series were out as N’s.
Going back to operators storing vehicles, when I visited Longton Coachcraft one day in 1988, there was an unused 400 Series in there, being converted to a sleeper and painted for an owner driver - it had come from Holt Lane Transport and had been stored for 10 years, In fact, on one of the Welsh threads on here, there are recent photos of 2 unused 400 Series, dry stored from new, and still in factory primer.
Sid Harrison famously had 4 new Fodens dry stored for many, many years, and there is a C-reg (1985) ERF LV 4-wheeler in preservation, and which was dry stored for 20 years before being registered: I vaguely recall that it was bought new by Joseph Grant.
Of course, another possibility is that it was unsold dealer stock: in the latter days of the Mk.2, bog-standard spec motors (220 ■■■■■■■ usually, I think) were built for stock rather than for specific orders

Unbelievable that some motors were dry stored for 20 years from new ! Thanks for the comments
Chris ! :smiley: :wink:

pete 359:

moomooland:
That is a late one Chris any ideas? I wonder if they bought it the previous year and had it stored away unregistered for a year and a half.

Hi all,
Up until the late 1980’s JR used to buy large numbers of brand new tractor units and store them on a farm.In my opinion this was one of those vehicles? They had a lot of R and S registered borderers.Purchased a few years earlier,then registered when required.
Regards Andrew.

Thanks for the comment Andrew ! :smiley:

Bow Bells haulage Volvo F10

A02225.JPG

John Dee MAN

A02223.JPG

Barker & Dobson Seddon Atkinson.

A02224.JPG

Freightliner Seddon Atkinson.

A02226.JPG

Thos W Ward Dodge.

A02227.JPG

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■?

A02228.JPG

A.W.Taylor Mercedes.

A02230.JPG

Volvo car parts tidy F10

A02231.JPG

BRS Crusader.

A02233.JPG

Stone & Ogan tidy Mercedes from Derby.

A02234.JPG

The last two Borderers I bought in 1975 would have been on an “N” but I reg’d them on the “P”, both had CU 220 engines , one was 6:600/ 2 speed and the other was RTO 610/D85 axle. From memory neither had PAS although one of them may have had. With regard to buying and storing new chassis it was during a time when Capital allowances could be claimed against profits. But well established operators who had reached, and were content, at a certain size and were making profit it was an efficient way to reduce taxation and have a new motor or two or three on hand to put into service when required for operational purposes or when times were a bit “harder” ! and of course in those days you couldn’t always get your hands on new tackle sometimes without a long wait ! I always recall being in Harry Parkinson’s workshop at Walton -le-Dale in the early 70’s and he had a new 8LXB Borderer stood in the corner :wink: . I can never recall seeing an “N” reg Sed/Atk 400 I always thought they came out on the “P” reg same as the B Series ERF. But probably I will stand corrected :blush: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
The last two Borderers I bought in 1975 would have been on an “N” but I reg’d them on the “P”, both had CU 220 engines , one was 6:600/ 2 speed and the other was RTO 610/D85 axle. From memory neither had PAS although one of them may have had. With regard to buying and storing new chassis it was during a time when Capital allowances could be claimed against profits. But well established operators who had reached, and were content, at a certain size and were making profit it was an efficient way to reduce taxation and have a new motor or two or three on hand to put into service when required for operational purposes or when times were a bit “harder” ! and of course in those days you couldn’t always get your hands on new tackle sometimes without a long wait ! I always recall being in Harry Parkinson’s workshop at Walton -le-Dale in the early 70’s and he had a new 8LXB Borderer stood in the corner :wink: . I can never recall seeing an “N” reg Sed/Atk 400 I always thought they came out on the “P” reg same as the B Series ERF. But probably I will stand corrected :blush: Cheers Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, for explaining why hauliers were buying new motors and not registering them
until later ! :smiley:

H.Crabtree Foden.

A02668.JPG

Crabtree Foden in advert. I can not believe that Foden would allow such a poor
photo to be used in an advert. It is so dark/black it’s awful. :open_mouth:

Bulmers Cider.

A00384.JPG

Click on pages twice to view. Not one of my best bits of scanning but i did it a few years
ago.

DEANB:
Bow Bells haulage Volvo F10

I remember Bow Bells Transport,they were something to do with Tower Hill Transport or Boston Stevedores as it was officially known.