Burgess Scania.

A01911.JPG

Dew ERF

George Dew Oldham.JPG

Warburton Scania

Warburton.JPG

steelboyf10:
And these were in the borderer…not that you could hear it! :smiley:

Hi steel boy I had one of them in my shunter with blue line I had it given to me so I fitted it in the unit :smiley:

Bewick:

steelboyf10:
And these were in the borderer…not that you could hear it! :smiley:

That is a Deluxe model as it has pre select push buttons ! :sunglasses: The ones I fitted just had three buttons MW/LW and can’t just remember what the third one was for :blush: . The Radio we had in the Octopus was a Philips valve set and the aerial was a welding rod twisted around the stub of the original aerial ! but it picked up a signal very well I could get Radio Caroline on the M1, my mate Eric use to like listening to IIRC “Sing something simple” on a Sunday evening running down into Neath usually ! I also recall that when I got my new D1000 the dealer fitted a push button radio the same model as was in the Granada. How’s that for memory Ah! now what was I doing this morning ? Anne, Anne! I need your help, where have we been to-day !! Cheers Dennis. :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Dean, yes that’s the one!, hey Dennis, aerials were ace, remember those long whip aerials, or ones the fitters used to mend with welding rods!..then we found 8 track tapes…but only had one tape!!!, cassettes were as big as the player, was clearing the garage prior to the house move and grandson (11) said what’s these Grampy? They were cassettes, I told him, then he said , what’s these? CDs…he’ll thought these were new…he said did you used to download much music when you were young… :smiley: :smiley:
No used to tape the charts Sunday night…oh you’ve gone LOL

You are jogging my memory now “steelboy10” as I recall the first new F10 we got in '77 I allowed the fitting of both an 8 track player and a cassette player as well as the Volvo push button radio 'cause the driver was an old hand and he had both 8 track tapes and obviously the cassettes were becoming more common and taking over IIRC Cheers Dennis.

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the brand new Routeman ■■? I cant see anything securing the bricks ■■? :unamused:
Is that Hills of Cardiff Marathon over taking ■■

I know I’m late with this but just wanted to point out the routeman is M registered and the cortina is a mk4… Looks very tidy though!

George Dew Oldham.JPGCracking picture Dean you don’t see many pictures of George Dew’s motors.
George Dew and Company were civil engineers who had their head office on Featherstall Road South in Oldham with a number of storage yards across the borough.
They were quite a big concern throughout the 1960’s, 70’s 80’s and 90’s working on civil engineering projects all over the country.
In 2006 Dew Construction Ltd, as it was known by then, went into administration.

One of George Dews ex army AEC Matadors that the company operated on sites for many years.

DEANB:
Earlier Dennis mentioned Albright & Wilson. They used to ship out through Poole years ago twice a week
for Rouen,France. I expect our man Chris Webb may know this lot ! :wink:

Click on pages twice to view.

Yes I remember Albright and Wilson well,especially their plant at Whitehaven - Marchon as it was known. I used to take toluene and xylene in there int 70s,could tip any time,great place,although a bit exposed int winter. :open_mouth:
That Scania will be from their Oldbury plant and although I can’t see the hazchem code I’d guess at Phosphoric Acid. P J Butler from Oldbury did a lot of work for Albright and Wilson Oldbury,a plant I never went in although I did go into BIP not far away.
They used to say at Whitehaven plant “If tha can see t’Isle of Man from ere it’s going ter rain,and if yer can’t see t’Isle of Man it is doing”. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Ask any old chemical tanker driver on here about A and W Whitehaven,they will always have a tale to tell about it,especially going up the hill from the town. :grimacing:

Sharp radio cassette with the red light I had in my F88s :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

I think that Allbright and Wilsons Oldbury depot was at Tat Bank nearTilcons concrete plant? Alongside the M5. We used to run sand and stone in there very occasionally, Tilcons place, not A & W’s, and backload granite chippings from ARC’s Edwin Richards quarry nearby! :wink:

Pete.

steelboyf10:
Had one of these in an F88

I fitted one of those push button Motorola sets into my Austin A60, 1970. I found the set in my garage about a year ago, goodness only knows why I kept it, and it still lit up! :open_mouth: Anyway it went to the tip with some other old car related junk, a couple of rusty sump heaters and a Nanette Polishing Brush which I never used anyway!

Pete.

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
Earlier Dennis mentioned Albright & Wilson. They used to ship out through Poole years ago twice a week

Yes I remember Albright and Wilson well,especially their plant at Whitehaven - Marchon as it was known. I used to take toluene and xylene in there int 70s,could tip any time,great place,although a bit exposed int winter. :open_mouth:
That Scania will be from their Oldbury plant and although I can’t see the hazchem code I’d guess at Phosphoric Acid. P J Butler from Oldbury did a lot of work for Albright and Wilson Oldbury,a plant I never went in although I did go into BIP not far away.
They used to say at Whitehaven plant “If tha can see t’Isle of Man from ere it’s going ter rain,and if yer can’t see t’Isle of Man it is doing”. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Ask any old chemical tanker driver on here about A and W Whitehaven,they will always have a tale to tell about it,especially going up the hill from the town. :grimacing:

Aye you were right about it being a wild place Chris, that area of W/haven was called Kells and the rain didn’t come straight down it came horizontal off the Irish sea eh! Marchon used to operate a tipper 24/7 carting phosphate rock up from the harbour which came on bulk carriers from Morrocco IIRC. In later years it was an Atki artic which was fitted with an extremely low geared diff and it only did about 40 MPH flat out although it never operated at that speed. It was barely a 2 mile round trip which it completed umpteen times in 24 hrs up and down up and down !!! Cheers Dennis.

moomooland/Paul
George Dew of Oldham also owned Buckton Vale quarry in Carrbrook Staylbridge they ran a fleet of Thames Trader tippers from there in the 60s, in fact most of the stone they quarried went on the new housing estates road constructions around Oldham & Manchester I remember my Dad used to do 5 load a day from Staylbridge to Ancoats in Manchester with a parrot nosed Dodge for a company called Thomas Lamb of Gorton this was in 1959/60.

1Thomas Lamb 1962-68 Parrot Nose.JPG

DEANB:

HRS:
Hi All, I have mastered the art of picking a photo and posting a reply but am yet to advance to actually showing that photo in the reply.
Can anyone help please, thanks, Harvey

Harvey, i am not the best on computers but basically when you are typing your reply,click on upload
attachement which is at the bottom of the box you are typing in. Then below that you will see a box
with “Browse”. Click on browse and that should give you an option of where you have stored your pics
on your computer. Most people would store them under pictures so click on that and right click on the
photo you want to put in the message.The file name of the pic will then appear in the browse box,click
the “Add the file” button to the right hand side. It will then say place inline and the file will appear
under your text in the message. Then click the preview button and if you are happy with it click submit.

Hope that makes sense ! To be honest it sounds complicated but once you have done it a few times its
very quick and easy ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Hi Dean, Thanks for that, bit late in thanking you but things are moving fast these days, great !!. Harvey

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

DEANB:

Aye you were right about it being a wild place Chris, that area of W/haven was called Kells and the rain didn’t come straight down it came horizontal off the Irish sea eh! Marchon used to operate a tipper 24/7 carting phosphate rock up from the harbour which came on bulk carriers from Morrocco IIRC. In later years it was an Atki artic which was fitted with an extremely low geared diff and it only did about 40 MPH flat out although it never operated at that speed. It was barely a 2 mile round trip which it completed umpteen times in 24 hrs up and down up and down !!! Cheers Dennis.

They ran a MK5 Mammoth Major running phosphate rock,driver controlled the loading somehow,16 tons at a time.It was then tipped into an underground silo. Two photos…

marchon.jpg

steelboyf10:
Thanks Dean, yes that’s the one!, hey Dennis, aerials were ace, remember those long whip aerials, or ones the fitters used to mend with welding rods!..then we found 8 track tapes…but only had one tape!!!, cassettes were as big as the player, was clearing the garage prior to the house move and grandson (11) said what’s these Grampy? They were cassettes, I told him, then he said , what’s these? CDs…he’ll thought these were new…he said did you used to download much music when you were young… :smiley: :smiley:
No used to tape the charts Sunday night…oh you’ve gone LOL

Thanks for your comments “steelboyf10” :wink:

Bewick:
You are jogging my memory now “steelboy10” as I recall the first new F10 we got in '77 I allowed the fitting of both an 8 track player and a cassette player as well as the Volvo push button radio 'cause the driver was an old hand and he had both 8 track tapes and obviously the cassettes were becoming more common and taking over IIRC Cheers Dennis.

:laughing: :wink:

nomiS36:

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the brand new Routeman ■■? I cant see anything securing the bricks ■■? :unamused:
Is that Hills of Cardiff Marathon over taking ■■
I know I’m late with this but just wanted to point out the routeman is M registered and the cortina is a mk4… Looks very tidy though!

Thanks for your comment “nomiS36” i assume that the cortina was newer than the Routeman then ? :unamused:

moomooland:
Cracking picture Dean you don’t see many pictures of George Dew’s motors.
George Dew and Company were civil engineers who had their head office on Featherstall Road South in Oldham with a number of storage yards across the borough.
They were quite a big concern throughout the 1960’s, 70’s 80’s and 90’s working on civil engineering projects all over the country.In 2006 Dew Construction Ltd, as it was known by then, went into administration.
One of George Dews ex army AEC Matadors that the company operated on sites for many years.

Thanks for your comments ! Paul certainly got some rare companies as well as the larger ones ! :wink:
Those old Matadors were tough old motors.There were loads used as wreckers or by timber companies
working in the Forest’s. :smiley:

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
Earlier Dennis mentioned Albright & Wilson. They used to ship out through Poole years ago twice a week for Rouen,France. I expect our man Chris Webb may know this lot ! :wink:

Thanks for your memories there Chris ! :smiley: What was so special about the hill then chap ■■? :unamused:

Lance Biscomb:
Sharp radio cassette with the red light I had in my F88s :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

Play the game Lance, photo of said truck ■■ :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

windrush:
I think that Allbright and Wilsons Oldbury depot was at Tat Bank nearTilcons concrete plant? Alongside the M5. We used to run sand and stone in there very occasionally, Tilcons place, not A & W’s, and backload granite chippings from ARC’s Edwin Richards quarry nearby! :wink: Pete.

Thanks for your input Pete ! :smiley:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

That sounded the most boring job in the world round trip of 2 miles all day long ! :open_mouth: :cry:

Stanfield:
moomooland/Paul
George Dew of Oldham also owned Buckton Vale quarry in Carrbrook Staylbridge they ran a fleet of Thames Trader tippers from there in the 60s, in fact most of the stone they quarried went on the new housing estates road constructions around Oldham & Manchester I remember my Dad used to do 5 load a day from Staylbridge to Ancoats in Manchester with a parrot nosed Dodge for a company called Thomas Lamb of Gorton this was in 1959/60.

John, that looks like one of those tippers out of Hell drivers ! :laughing:

HRS:
Hi All, I have mastered the art of picking a photo and posting a reply but am yet to advance to actually showing that photo in the reply.Can anyone help please, thanks, Harvey

Hi Dean, Thanks for that, bit late in thanking you but things are moving fast these days, great !!. Harvey

No worries chap,its easy once you have done it a few times,just remember to use preview before posting ! :wink:

Chris Webb:
They ran a MK5 Mammoth Major running phosphate rock,driver controlled the loading somehow,16 tons at a time.It was then tipped into an underground silo. Two photos…

[/quote]
Thanks for the pics Chris. :smiley:

There was a very steep hill from Whitehaven town centre up to Albright and Wilson’s works,can’t remember what it was called. :unamused:
Going up it was fine with a compartmented petroleum spirit tank as product did not run to the back but with a one potter drivers lost traction when it was wet and could not get up.I have seen a driver backing up that hill,hard to believe but true.The police took a very dim view of that. :smiley:
I haven’t been there since 1978 and I understand a new access road was built to the plant.
Whatever,I liked going there,never got messed about,good canteen as well.Could tip toluene and xylene at any time,any shift which was handy…saying no more… :grimacing:

Chris Webb:
There was a very steep hill from Whitehaven town centre up to Albright and Wilson’s works,can’t remember what it was called. :unamused:
Going up it was fine with a compartmented petroleum spirit tank as product did not run to the back but with a one potter drivers lost traction when it was wet and could not get up.I have seen a driver backing up that hill,hard to believe but true.The police took a very dim view of that. :smiley:
I haven’t been there since 1978 and I understand a new access road was built to the plant.
Whatever,I liked going there,never got messed about,good canteen as well.Could tip toluene and xylene at any time,any shift which was handy…saying no more… :grimacing:

Thanks for explaining that Chris ! :wink: “Backing up that hill” The Police have no sense of humour ! :laughing: :wink:

B.Chilton & Sons smart Volvo F88.

A02062.JPG

J.E.Clark Volvo F10

A02032.JPG

L.J.Bennett Marathon from Gloucester.

Barter’s transport Atkinson.

Anyone recognise the Leyland and Scammell wreckers ■■?

A02047.JPG

Y & M Haulage Maggie bulker.

A02065.JPG

Hobbs Atkinson tipper.

A02044.JPG

Anyone recognise the Seddon ■■ Looks like he has got his son with him ! :laughing:

A02080.JPG

E.Kidd Seddon Atkinson.

A02124.JPG

Smith’s of Whitehaven ERF

A02167.JPG

E. Kidd Transport was established more than 60 years ago to provide haulage services for a number of major manufacturers in the Lancaster area.

A02124.JPG When Ernest Kidd established E. Kidd Transport the work was predominately with local farmers, delivering cattle to markets.
By the end of the 1960’s Kidds were establishing themselves not only in agricultural and milk haulage but also in general haulage.

E KIDD-001.JPGThroughout the 1970’s business boomed with Kidds quickly outgrowing their Melling site.
They moved operations to a new purpose built site at the old Lancaster Power Station coal yard just off Caton Road in 1978 where new offices and a new workshop were built.

Still in business today Kidds Transport, as they are now known, run a a modern fleet of Scania trucks,

A02167.JPGThink Dennis will have some info relating to this firm from his neck of the woods.