PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

bob-lad:
john Raymond sed ak dean I remember the sheets thanks

Yes you are correct it’s j.raymond here’s a Couple more

robroy:

Chris Webb:
Harpers leyland. Whats he towing ■■? That’s right car body shells.

This is the way to transport car body shells :smiley:

bob-lad:

Thanks Bob ! :wink:

gingerfold:
Salford Van hire Bedford.

I had one of these off SVH at Mothers Pride Bakery Chesterfield in 1978 / 79 for a few months when I had additional inter-bakery trunking to cover. One of the nightly runs was to Gateshead and Newcastle, but my drivers preferred the newest Ford D Series we had, an R reg, over the Bedford, but then again the Ford had been fitted with a coach ratio diff for the A1. Nothing much passed that Ford at night on the A1.

Sounds like a flyer with the coach diff ! :smiley:

robroy:

Chris Webb:
Harpers leyland. Whats he towing ■■?

I may be wrong but I think Harpers worked for either Fords at Halewood or Vauxhalls at Ellesmere Port,so maybe car bodies??

That’s right car body shells.
I used to tell my little girl (little girl :unamused: , she’s 32 now :smiley: ) they were big horse boxes for giraffes. :smiley:
I think Billingtons of Lancs, also pulled those trailers with their Atki Borderers…could be wrong.

Must admit i did not think thats what it was but fair play Chris and Rob for spotting that ! :smiley: :wink:

smallcoal:

bob-lad:

Yes you are correct it’s j.raymond here’s a Couple more

Always looked a tidy fleet John ! :smiley:

moomooland:

robroy:

Chris Webb:
Harpers leyland. Whats he towing ■■? That’s right car body shells.

This is the way to transport car body shells :smiley:

Nice pic Paul ! :wink: Heres a couple more !

Sid Knowles Bedford draw-bar.

A03110.JPG

Truck in service.

Click on pages twice to view.

Long Distance Diary.

Murfitts Refrigerated Transport’s F89

A01797.JPG

Buitelaar Scania 141

A01804.JPG

Anyone recognise the Foden ■■?

A01769.JPG

Sun Valley F10

A01692.JPG

Anyone recognise the Scania tanker ■■

A01740.JPG

One for Bubb’s Western Transport ! :wink:

A02631.JPG

Couple of Axminster’s Cliff,looks like they were both Cherbourg motors and the Renault had not been
sign written yet.

A03064.JPG

A03097p.JPG

Kayfoam Bedford. This pic was actually in the first batch but found a bit about them in
Commercial motor.

Click on twice to view.

DEANB:
One for Bubb’s Western Transport ! :wink:

Great shot Dean,Heres a pic of the same lorry which hung on the office wall so not one of my pics…Thanks for putting it on,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Sun Valley F10

Sun Valley used to load out of Wincanton Maltby odd times,usually for Asda Bristol,as well as calling in to refuel when they had collected clean trays. They used underslung fridges and many times drivers used to come to me and say “fridge int chilling”. The reason was that as well as starting engine you also had to start the compressor,there were no instructions to do this on engine side. Here’s a photo,not mine though.

winc29.jpg

Chris Webb:
Sun Valley F10

Sun Valley used to load out of Wincanton Maltby odd times,usually for Asda Bristol,as well as calling in to refuel when they had collected clean trays. They used underslung fridges and many times drivers used to come to me and say “fridge int chilling”. The reason was that as well as starting engine you also had to start the compressor,there were no instructions to do this on engine side. Here’s a photo,not mine though.

We had some of those underslung fridge units at Turners, a total nightmare of a setup, always giving problems. It’s got me all agitated just thinking about them. :cry: :cry:

Chris Webb:
Sun Valley F10

We had some of those underslung fridge units at Turners, a total nightmare of a setup, always giving problems. It’s got me all agitated just thinking about them. :cry: :cry:

So upset I’ve posted twice…horrible things…ugh

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:
Sun Valley F10

Yes Graham they were.Occasionally they would drop one and take one of our pre loaded Wincanton trailers.I used to VOR their shed straightaway and keep it back for preloading for them to take back.If you didn’t do that it could go anywhere in our system and cause nowt but bloody trouble. :imp:

gingerfold:

We ran under-slung fridges for years at Sainsbury’s with no problems whatsoever, probably down to having them serviced on a regular basis.

pete 359:
hi DEANB,
congratulations on the 100 page milestone.i have and still do enjoy every single one of them.This BOC image you shared might have been a welsh motor? member and good friend BEAVER680,would know.Tony,it could even be you driving?
regards andrew.

Hi Andrew no its not me ,it is loaded with acetylene so it could be from cardiff branch we only had one SA 400 at margam and that was a sleeper cab used for liquid argon on continental work.I did drive this 401 it was our scond 401 after the fodens regards tony.

image.jpeg

moomooland:

gingerfold:

We ran under-slung fridges for years at Sainsbury’s with no problems whatsoever, probably down to having them serviced on a regular basis.

Paul,it wasn’t so much the reliability,it was the fact that drivers would fire them up but not turn compressor on.Engine would run ok but no chilling or freezing.In spite of notices put up on how to use them drivers still came in the yard complaining about non-chilling.
That’s why I got rid as soon as possible,we didn’t want any rejections due to high temps.

Chris Webb:

moomooland:

gingerfold:

Paul,it wasn’t so much the reliability,it was the fact that drivers would fire them up but not turn compressor on.Engine would run ok but no chilling or freezing.In spite of notices put up on how to use them drivers still came in the yard complaining about non-chilling.
That’s why I got rid as soon as possible,we didn’t want any rejections due to high temps.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the maintenance systems and 'fridge bay mechanics we had, and have, at Turners, so please don’t insinuate otherwise Paul.As you know, Turners have had a long association with Sainsbury’s, going back over 60 years, and Sainsbury’s are very choosy who its primary hauliers are. They were just bad 'fridges and spent a lot of time off the road waiting for parts. I recall that they were trailers T821 to T825 inclusive. We never had any more after those 5.

Re; the Lathams Atkinson wagon & drag on page 94, that, was driven by Alf Fletcher from Preston but based at Coventry after he moved down, had the pleasure of working with him at Cartransport (BRS) Coventry in 1990, he was the nightman then ferrying out of the Jag back to Rowley Road, but the Atki was long gone by then.

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

moomooland:

gingerfold:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the maintenance systems and 'fridge bay mechanics we had, and have, at Turners, so please don’t insinuate otherwise Paul.As you know, Turners have had a long association with Sainsbury’s, going back over 60 years, and Sainsbury’s are very choosy who its primary hauliers are. They were just bad 'fridges and spent a lot of time off the road waiting for parts. I recall that they were trailers T821 to T825 inclusive. We never had any more after those 5.

MFS had all their fridges converted to underslung by Petters at Dunstable and they were a success
from day one,on the Littlewoods contract,they were quieter and ideal for very early morning store deliveries. I can’t remember who made the underslung ones that were fitted to the Sun Valley trailers. As far as maintenance was concerned,Wincanton were very fussy about regular servicing so that wasn’t an issue.