Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

youtu.be/rVUfLXmG2dc

Old Kent Road London Truck dealer 1970s

If youā€™re fed up with bursting tyres, hereā€™s the truck you need:
youtube.com/watch?v=y1yF7FEAB9c

Ray Smyth:
An Atkinson artic parked outside of Henry Diaper warehouse on The Strand (Dock Road) in Liverpool.
At the end of the Diaper building where the loaded rigid lorry is parked is the entrance & exit of the
Branch section of the Mersey Tunnel, and St Nicholas Church at the rear. Being so near the docks,
this church was known locally as ā€œThe Sailors Churchā€. I cant make out who the Atkinson belongs to,
It could be one of Bowkers, whose lorries were frequently seen at Liverpool Docks.
Click on picture for better image.

Ray Smyth.

Much as I would like it to be a Bowker motor, I donā€™'t think it is - it looks like there is a logo on the door, but Bowker Atkis only ever had lettering on the doors.

Marvellous atmospheric picture though!!

Leyland Octopus.

Couple of oldies for today, Buzzer

39862116222_d2389effa1.jpg

Buzzer:
Couple of oldies for today, Buzzer

Sister mobile shop to the one in pic, Baylis of Reading who were a large firm in my home town.

Pete.

Hi Windrush I remember seeing some excellent examples of mobile shops built in the Glasgow area and exhibited at the 1957, 59 & 61 Scottish Commercial Motor Shows in the Kelvin Hall. They were very well painted in appropriate designs depicting their trade as bakers, butchers or general traders. I cannot remember the names of the body builders now it is so long ago. The Kelvin hall was the place to see the very best of Scottish coachpainters and sign writing art.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Thanks to coomsey, DEANB, Buzzer, windrush for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and Stupot and Froggy55 for the vids :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

1934 AEC Tillotson cab and Thompson tank.

That is an impressive machine and must have been something else in 1934! :slight_smile:

E.W.

EW car truck & bus:
That is an impressive machine and must have been something else in 1934! :slight_smile:

E.W.

Sorted E.W. :blush: :laughing:
Oily

EW car truck & bus:

E.W.

Iā€™ll bet it was impressive swinging that bloody great starting handle in a morning . Electric starters were not fitted as standard then . When I started as an apprentice fitter in the 50s they still ran two 1934 Foden tippers which were parked back to back with newer motors in the garage for a bump start in the morning . The alternative was 2 men and a length of rope .

Which engine was fitted on the Mammoth Major in 1934? Was it a 92 bhp 7.6 litres diesel?

Froggy55:
Which engine was fitted on the Mammoth Major in 1934? Was it a 92 bhp 7.6 litres diesel?

That particular Mammoth Major has a AEC 6-cylinder petrol engine. It is also the very first factory built eight-wheeler into service, that is why itā€™s owned by the Science Museum. There might have been earlier eight-wheelers in service by a few weeks but they were rough conversions of six-wheelers with a fourth axle fitted. The 1933 Construction and Use Regs. allowed four axle rigids for the first time. Sentinel also built some eight wheeler steam waggons at the same time. Leyland and ERF quickly followed AEC into the eight-wheeler market.

oiltreader:
Thanks to coomsey, DEANB, Buzzer, windrush for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and Stupot and Froggy55 for the vids :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

1934 AEC Tillotson cab and Thompson tank.

Those were the days eh lads ? One small wiper, mirrors the size of milk bottle tops, (donā€™t try to get mounted if youā€™ve got arthritic knees), suspension on the hard side (very) of firm, power steering ? :unamused: ā€¦ā€œwhatā€™s thatā€?, cab suspension ? :unamused: ā€¦ā€œwhatā€™s thatā€? :smiley: :smiley: And thenā€¦a starting handle, oh deep joy. :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy days.

gingerfold:

Froggy55:

That particular Mammoth Major has a AEC 6-cylinder petrol engine. It is also the very first factory built eight-wheeler into service, that is why itā€™s owned by the Science Museum. There might have been earlier eight-wheelers in service by a few weeks but they were rough conversions of six-wheelers with a fourth axle fitted. The 1933 Construction and Use Regs. allowed four axle rigids for the first time. Sentinel also built some eight wheeler steam waggons at the same time. Leyland and ERF quickly followed AEC into the eight-wheeler market.

I was thinking that it had a petrol engine as it looks like an oil cooler underneath which I donā€™t think the diesels had?

Pete.

windrush:

gingerfold:

Froggy55:

I was thinking that it had a petrol engine as it looks like an oil cooler underneath which I donā€™t think the diesels had?

Pete.

Laurence Pomeroy, a well known automotive industry figure, had quite a lot of input into AECā€™s 1920s petrol engine development. A joint AEC and Daimler venture was set up in 1926 and Pomeroy was recruited as a development engineer by Percy Martin. Pomeroy started his career as a railway engineer and he moved to Vauxhall in 1905. After Associated Daimler was ended in 1929 Pomeroy went to Daimler. He also worked for Alcoa for a time on the development of aluminium alloy engine components such as pistons. Heā€™s recognised as being very influential in engine development. The AEC petrol engine was / is as quiet as any contemporary luxury car engine from that era.

gingerfold:

windrush:

gingerfold:

Froggy55:

Pete.

Laurence Pomeroy, a well known automotive industry figure, had quite a lot of input into AECā€™s 1920s petrol engine development. A joint AEC and Daimler venture was set up in 1926 and Pomeroy was recruited as a development engineer by Percy Martin. Pomeroy started his career as a railway engineer and he moved to Vauxhall in 1905. After Associated Daimler was ended in 1929 Pomeroy went to Daimler. He also worked for Alcoa for a time on the development of aluminium alloy engine components such as pistons. Heā€™s recognised as being very influential in engine development. The AEC petrol engine was / is as quiet as any contemporary luxury car engine from that era.

A E Evans had a MK3 parked up at Barking in 1969,it had the 7.7 engine and two stick box. I canā€™t remember the reg number but Iā€™m almost sure it was pre war.I think the 7.7 engine option was dropped just after the war.Maybe Graham can tell me?

^^^^ The first post-WW2 AEC Mammoth Majors introduced in 1946 were hybrid pre-war Mk.IIs / Mk.IIIs (Mk.II as you describe 7.7 engines and 2-stick transmission) but these hybrids had the 9.6 engine with the 2-stick set-up. By 1947 the ā€˜trueā€™ Mk.III Mammoth Major was in being with the 5-speed gearbox. The 6-speed 'box was an export option from 1951, and a home market option from 1953. The 7.7 engine was used in the post-war build of 4x4 Matadors in 1953-56, and also in the Monarch Mk.III until it was replaced by the Mercury (AV470) in 1953/54. So the A.E. Evans tanker you saw at Barking was a pre-1939 Mk.II.

gingerfold:
^^^^ The first post-WW2 AEC Mammoth Majors introduced in 1946 were hybrid pre-war Mk.IIs / Mk.IIIs (Mk.II as you describe 7.7 engines and 2-stick transmission) but these hybrids had the 9.6 engine with the 2-stick set-up. By 1947 the ā€˜trueā€™ Mk.III Mammoth Major was in being with the 5-speed gearbox. The 6-speed 'box was an export option from 1951, and a home market option from 1953. The 7.7 engine was used in the post-war build of 4x4 Matadors in 1953-56, and also in the Monarch Mk.III until it was replaced by the Mercury (AV470) in 1953/54. So the A.E. Evans tanker you saw at Barking was a pre-1939 Mk.II.

I wonder if the one at Barking had the 9.6 then Graham. I was told it had the 7.7 but that could have been wrong and I never got in the cab.It had a 6 pot tank and was used to store derv for emergency purposes. It wasnā€™t there long though. Iā€™ll ask one of our fitters,he might remember it.
A photo would have been ideal but I had no camera in them days.

We could have just about afforded the camera but the film and development were a whole different story!