Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Seeing as you posted a nice picture of a load of fodder here is one from FB, Buzzer

Ray Smyth:
A bit further up on the A74 was The Crawford Arms Hotel, and in the late 1990s,
a 3 course evening meal and lorry park was £8.00, I wonder what it costs now.
The 2nd picture is Paul Roberts setting off Southbound at 5 a.m. in a Leyland DAF
45 Series which was 10tons G.V.W., it weighed 6 tons, so could only carry a maximum
of 4 tons, but it suited our regular work for the Military and Police work that we did
for Remploy Frontline for 17 years. It had a 165hp ■■■■■■■ engine and regularly
returned 18 MPG. The 3rd picture sees the Leyland Daf on the A62 en route from
Oldham to Huddersfield, and the 4th picture is a Mercedes Benz 1821 that I had for
10 years, during which time it covered just over 500,000 miles. Ray Smyth.
Ray Smyth Transport.

Ray, thank you for this reminder of The Crawford Arms Hotel where I used to park up in the 80’s and 90’s.

I think the then owner was called Colin and he (and his good lady) were brilliant. I used to ring up if I was going to be late arriving and they would save a space for me and Colin’s wife would do me a plate of sandwiches and a pot of tea, if I had a reasonable early start he would do me a quick breakfast - try getting that sort of service now!

Now and again he wanted some items picking up so I duly obliged to return his hospitality!

Colin and his wife eventually retired and new owners came along with a new ‘Business model’ which put a lot of people off stopping there including me
but it’s called ‘Progress’ apparently Ho hum !!!

Pennineman:

Ray Smyth:
A bit further up on the A74 was The Crawford Arms Hotel, and in the late 1990s,
a 3 course evening meal and lorry park was £8.00, I wonder what it costs now.
The 2nd picture is Paul Roberts setting off Southbound at 5 a.m. in a Leyland DAF
45 Series which was 10tons G.V.W., it weighed 6 tons, so could only carry a maximum
of 4 tons, but it suited our regular work for the Military and Police work that we did
for Remploy Frontline for 17 years. It had a 165hp ■■■■■■■ engine and regularly
returned 18 MPG. The 3rd picture sees the Leyland Daf on the A62 en route from
Oldham to Huddersfield, and the 4th picture is a Mercedes Benz 1821 that I had for
10 years, during which time it covered just over 500,000 miles. Ray Smyth.
Ray Smyth Transport.

Ray, thank you for this reminder of The Crawford Arms Hotel where I used to park up in the 80’s and 90’s.

I think the then owner was called Colin and he (and his good lady) were brilliant. I used to ring up if I was going to be late arriving and they would save a space for me and Colin’s wife would do me a plate of sandwiches and a pot of tea, if I had a reasonable early start he would do me a quick breakfast - try getting that sort of service now!

Now and again he wanted some items picking up so I duly obliged to return his hospitality!

Colin and his wife eventually retired and new owners came along with a new ‘Business model’ which put a lot of people off stopping there including me
but it’s called ‘Progress’ apparently Ho hum !!!

Hi Pennineman, Thank you for your interesting comments. I used to park up at Crawford Arms occasionally in the 1970s.
Because of a change of work from 1995, my drivers would park at Crawford Arms usually twice a week, and I set up an
account with the then new owner, John Smith. The drivers would sign the account sheet on the bar, and at the end of
the month, John Smith would give one of the drivers the invoice to bring back to the depot, and the next driver going
North would take a cheque to John Smith. John and I were too mean to buy postage stamps. :laughing: :wink:
Several years later John Smith sold the business to a lady called Catherine Somervile, and the same arrangement continued.
For a lot of the time, a retired lorry driver, ex Tennant,Forth would be at the front of Crawford Arms from about 4pm to
sort out who parked where, depending on your time of departure the following day. Ray Smyth.

Thanks to Buzzer for the pic :smiley:
Oily

Scania with thanks to Peter Schöler.

Scania Long Bonnet PS 28396692244_a34b4f6b48_o.jpg

Scania bonnett 43428033730_63dc2c6d5d_o.jpg

Scania 41318256612_a1ebf50137_o.jpg

Scania 11750483903_1b68ba4989_o.jpg

Scania 141 PS 45654493975_a1d7a2c7df_k.jpg

Scania 141 PS 44750762010_dd61ebf264_k.jpg

Autocar Transporters Volvo.

FL6 still at work in Ostende

On duty in Poperinge.

Watt’s of Banbury NMP, Buzzer

This is a great early 1960s scene Buzzer two Willenhall cabbed BMCs and the four Bedfords roped and sheeted farm feeds I guess. When did anyone see a fuel island with pump and two oil cabinets ?
Cheers, Leyland 600

Buzzer:
Watt’s of Banbury NMP, Buzzer

The leed motor looks good with white walled tyres. I beleive this photo was taken prior to WW2 Dodmans Bridge Kings Lynn Gaywood road just east of Kings Lynn Norfolk. Product bagged up and my be destined for export at Lynn Docks less than half a mile away.

Any ideas about company SPBA originate from.

If you look on google maps for 21 Gaywood Road Kings Lynn not a lot has changed to buildings since 1937.
Kev

Bedford TK 1977

Had a Big J as my first class one driving job, Buzzer

Thanks to DEANB, Penineman, kevmorrow and Buzzer for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Fullers of Slough

Duplicated post.

Duplicated post.

If anyone of you is looking for a spare TK cab, this one could be for sale in Bangladesh, a terrible-looking place as well for trucks than for people. Google SW picture.

“Winter Delivery”, A painting by transport artist Trevor Mitchell.

Thanks to Chris Webb, Froggy55 and Ray Smyth for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Aberdeen wagons

FB Abn 45059077984_ec6ef4a32f_o.jpg

Dingwall Friday.
Oily

A couple of 1930’s Leyllands

Tony

Leyland R.A.F. Type.jpg

Leyland Lion Cub 1930.jpg

These pictures are from 1997, around the time that my 18 years as a registered carrier with
Rank Hovis was drawing to a close. My own Ex Rank Hovis 30ft trailer was away on annual
M.O.T., This trailer was loaned to me by Rank Hovis, Rotherham. The Ford Cargo 28ton GVW
artic unit was Ex T.I.Creda (Cookers & Washing Machines) from Blythe Bridge, near Stoke.
The engine in the Ford Cargo was a 250hp ■■■■■■■■

Ray Smyth.

G391 ARE.jpg