Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

This wasn’t mine, I know that because it has a crash bar, mine had disappeared on the end of a chain fixed to a D8 that was trying to pull me onto a muddy roundabout during the construction of a flyover on the North Circular. But it does show that not everything at Econofreight was abnormal.

Note the complete lack of badges, ■■■■■■■■ Knight and even Atkinson on that radiator. Tom Llewellyn, the MD in Thornaby at the time, refused to carry any form of unpaid advertising. Like me, this driver has Zanetti mirrors, good job Tom didn’t see that name on the back of them. :open_mouth:

This was mine (no crash bar, see?) parked in my yard near home in Nottingham during a very brief spell with one of Gillyott and Scott’s (another TDG company) tippers in 1978. It lasted either one or 2 days, one load anyway (and I can’t remember it :confused: ) before the local boss at Leicester decided it was not a good idea. I was very glad to be rid, I have never had one over, but I know a few who have and the esperience once had me fleeing, pulling the drop lever as I went, after seeing clouds scudding across the sky and thinking it was the body moving, not them. :open_mouth:

Note again the naked rad, I have no idea what L87 stood for. :unamused:

Thanks to toshboy, DEANB, Buzzer and Spardo for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I am grateful to Johnnie Rae for his permission to use these on Trucknet, rare old snaps indeed.
Oily

johnnie rae atkinson.jpg

oiltreader:
Thanks to toshboy, DEANB, Buzzer and Spardo for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I am grateful to Johnnie Rae for his permission to use these on Trucknet, rare old snaps indeed.
Oily

Hi Eddie, Enjoyed the snaps of Aberdeen docks , a reminder to me of Ford road Aberdeen BRS . the paper reels I used the get loaded with were from Inverurie I think it was ,but to Liverpool area normally ,and well short of home , return loads from that area was always difficult , they sent me from Aberdeen to Fochabers once for a load ,that added an extra day, anyway who cared , all on the clock those days! regards ivor

Nice old picture Buzzer

Dale Street in Liverpool, “The Mitre” is a pub owned by Bents, a large local brewery,
The British Railways Ford Thames parcel van is carrying an advert for “Double Top”,
a bottled light ale, brewed by Higsons Brewery, Ray Smyth.

Full restoration I believe by Geoff Gilbert, not a cheap thing to do nowadays, had one of his old F89’s, Buzzer

Just a few for the benifit of you to comment on

We had two A Series dropsiders at Ballidon, (plus loads of Transits of course) first one was a swb four cylinder diesel for the stores and it took forever to start, plus it was flat out at about 50 on the Motorway, but the next one was a six potter and that was better. I think we might also have had a bus bodied version to bring the quarry workers in that replaced a Bedford but my memory is patchy there as I didn’t have much contact with the quarry vehicles apart from dumpers?

Pete.

Here’s one for my brother?? How many times have we been passed this place over the years lol
C5D87013-C0DE-4BB4-8867-49FF8674B60C.jpeg

oiltreader:

Oily

They are some cracking pics Oily. You better get some more of them chap ! :smiley: :wink:

Atkinson advert from 1970.

windrush:
We had two A Series dropsiders at Ballidon, (plus loads of Transits of course) first one was a swb four cylinder diesel for the stores and it took forever to start, plus it was flat out at about 50 on the Motorway, but the next one was a six potter and that was better. I think we might also have had a bus bodied version to bring the quarry workers in that replaced a Bedford but my memory is patchy there as I didn’t have much contact with the quarry vehicles apart from dumpers?

Pete.

Yes Pete They did fit the 2.4 Transit Diesel engine which many folk couldn’t start ,mostly because they were impatient.The first A- Series Ford sent us was a petrol 3ltr V6. the one in the right hand corner.God knows why they sent that.Looked very smart painted yellow with an alloy dropside we sold it to a co. in Lichfield which was a good day.The Ind Coope fire engine was a petrol and I sold another one to Robin Hamilton Aston Martin at Fauld which he extended for a transporter.

Ford sent us " launch " motors which were not the the model people would generally want to buy.The Transt van was alright spec wise was alright but even that had a driver’s sliding door When I got into the first Transit after the 400E,the gear lever was as thick as a tree trunk and had a V4 petrol engine.I thought " these would never sell " How wrong I was.The first Transit minibus they sent was a 12 seater which would nobody would need at that time.The first phase 2 D–series was a 15t G.V.W. with with the V8 ■■■■■■■ in it.Actually we had more than one and a chap in Lancashire bought them and he bought a few from round the country.We did sell a few 12 seaters though to people like British Midland Airways for transportin pilots but they got done for taking the rear seats out for the pilots luggage

Thanks to Buzzer, Ray Smyth, rastone, Andrew Morrison and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

D Series snapped Sept last at Eccleshall thanks to mancbranch.

Ford D mancbranch cc by 2.0 Ecclesha;; 43694977334_09915e8952_mb o.jpg

oiltreader:
Thanks to Buzzer, Ray Smyth, rastone, Andrew Morrison and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

D Series snapped Sept last at Eccleshall thanks to mancbranch.

Les’s breakdown is well pictured around the area a good motor to photograh.I’m certain Les would like to hear of any spares that are availble.Pete Riley’s is one of his " fleet" Pete knows more about Ford commercials than Ford.No comment on the Stan Robinson Motor.What a god chap was Stan.The sheeted Bristol in the background didn’t Mick Cobisley have tha at one time? The Leech motor nice job but big bumper.Sorry to be critical as I couldn’t do what you presevations can do and what a loveley signwriting Job, proper North Staffs.

Peak Truck Show 2006 013.jpg

windrush:

Pete.

Question for you Pete.We did arrange the letters to another word.The picture was taken in Derby Market Place.Note the new Asembey Rooms

Tony

Spardo:
This was mine (no crash bar, see?) parked in my yard near home in Nottingham during a very brief spell with one of Gillyott and Scott’s (another TDG company) tippers in 1978. It lasted either one or 2 days, one load anyway (and I can’t remember it :confused: ) before the local boss at Leicester decided it was not a good idea. I was very glad to be rid, I have never had one over, but I know a few who have and the esperience once had me fleeing, pulling the drop lever as I went, after seeing clouds scudding across the sky and thinking it was the body moving, not them. :open_mouth:

Note again the naked rad, I have no idea what L87 stood for. :unamused:

Spardo, you must have been at Econofreight about the same time as Gordon Wragg. He’s long retired now, but I heard he still helps out at his son’s business. I worked with him at Colorline in the nineties, we often subbied for Donkeyfreight at that time. Regards Kev.

rastone:

windrush:

Pete.

Question for you Pete.We did arrange the letters to another word.The picture was taken in Derby Market Place.Note the new Asembey Rooms

Tony

What picture Tony? :confused:

Pete.

windrush:

rastone:

windrush:

Pete.

Tony

What picture Tony? :confused:

Pete.

The one on rhe A-Series

kevmac47:
Spardo, you must have been at Econofreight about the same time as Gordon Wragg. He’s long retired now, but I heard he still helps out at his son’s business. I worked with him at Colorline in the nineties, we often subbied for Donkeyfreight at that time. Regards Kev.

The name seems vaguely familiar but, as I see that you live in Gateshead, perhaps he was from Thornaby depot. I was in Leicester and, apart from calling in for fuel (or in the case of my new Daf, servicing under warranty) there was little contact between us.

There were 2 reasons why that might have been. Tom Llewellyn, when he was speccing all the Atki’s, apparently offered both depots sleeper conversions in return for less NO money. Leicester went for comfort, Thornaby went for the money, I got the impression that they disapproved, but it was before my time, the Atkis were already there when I joined. Strangely enough, my first wagon was a Foden with a Gardner 8LXB sticking out the front. Not a sleeper cab, I got the same NO money as Thornaby but, when I was ‘promoted’ to an Atki, I don’t remember getting a drop in that.

The other reason was also controversial. The '79 strike started in various areas of the country as a wildcat affair. This was because the T&G refused to back it saying that it was up to local regions to decide. Thornaby was one of the first to strike, but Leicester said they would wait till it was official. As Leicester shop steward I was constantly bombarded by the Thornaby steward to join in, but I couldn’t until my members voted that way.

I was in an awkward position, not even at work due to an industrial accident that broke my finger on the one hand, and keeping in touch with my members through several close votes, and on the other, meeting with other Leicester stewards at the local HQ. Leicester generally was very moderate and against the strike, as was I personally, but eventually my blokes voted to strike and I then had to go to the union and, along with the Cawthorn and Sinclair steward (who, like me, was bombarded by his NE colleagues) swung the vote to strike.

There were 2 ironies as a result of all that. I, and my C & S colleague, were branded as communists by local union leadership for our ‘extremist’ stance, and Thornaby, feeling the financial pinch, caved in and went back to work even though we were still on strike till it was officially called off.

Sorry, simple question, but lots of history. :blush: :laughing:

Spardo:

kevmac47:

The name seems vaguely familiar but, as I see that you live in Gateshead, perhaps he was from Thornaby depot. I was in Leicester and, apart from calling in for fuel (or in the case of my new Daf, servicing under warranty) there was little contact between us.

There were 2 reasons why that might have been. Tom Llewellyn, when he was speccing all the Atki’s, apparently offered both depots sleeper conversions in return for less NO money. Leicester went for comfort, Thornaby went for the money, I got the impression that they disapproved, but it was before my time, the Atkis were already there when I joined. Strangely enough, my first wagon was a Foden with a Gardner 8LXB sticking out the front. Not a sleeper cab, I got the same NO money as Thornaby but, when I was ‘promoted’ to an Atki, I don’t remember getting a drop in that.

The other reason was also controversial. The '79 strike started in various areas of the country as a wildcat affair. This was because the T&G refused to back it saying that it was up to local regions to decide. Thornaby was one of the first to strike, but Leicester said they would wait till it was official. As Leicester shop steward I was constantly bombarded by the Thornaby steward to join in, but I couldn’t until my members voted that way.

I was in an awkward position, not even at work due to an industrial accident that broke my finger on the one hand, and keeping in touch with my members through several close votes, and on the other, meeting with other Leicester stewards at the local HQ. Leicester generally was very moderate and against the strike, as was I personally, but eventually my blokes voted to strike and I then had to go to the union and, along with the Cawthorn and Sinclair steward (who, like me, was bombarded by his NE colleagues) swung the vote to strike.

There were 2 ironies as a result of all that. I, and my C & S colleague, were branded as communists by local union leadership for our ‘extremist’ stance, and Thornaby, feeling the financial pinch, caved in and went back to work even though we were still on strike till it was officially called off.

Sorry, simple question, but lots of history. :blush: :laughing:

Thanks Spardo, your correct! A simple question prods the memory bank!! Regards Kev.