Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

image.jpega Bewick type lorry :smiley:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

pv83:

oiltreader:
Thanks to Froggy55 for the pic :smiley:

Round the counties in Gloucestershire.
Oily

Those Gilder wagons surely look the part Oily, no doubt herr Sutherland will concur! [emoji38]

Absolutely. [emoji3]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

rigsby:

coomsey:
Defo a past un! M1 Leics reckon that’s a Dodge he’s overtaking. Cheers Coomsey

I resemble that remark , I can remember the M1 like that , no Armco and no busy lines of traffic . Looks like an Octopus coming the other way . I bet it was only open from J24 to rugby at that time , early to mid 60s . Rotten bugger , you’ve made me feel ancient ( again ).

I reckon most of us are ancient on here Master Rigsby! I can remember having to go to Crick to pick the motorway up!!! Early drive down to the smoke on a Saturday n you could count the motors coming tother way comfy. You could go the length of the M45 on your own, we were lucky but didn’t know it. Cheers Coomsey

rigsby:

coomsey:

I resemble that remark , I can remember the M1 like that , no Armco and no busy lines of traffic . Looks like an Octopus coming the other way . I bet it was only open from J24 to rugby at that time , early to mid 60s . Rotten bugger , you’ve made me feel ancient ( again ).

I remember what the M1 was like in 1968/69 when I was on nights on market job,running back to Sheffield from Abbey Wood S.E.,I was due back at 0500. After the M1/M6 split it was dead,just the occasional trunker.

In Malpensa

image.jpg

Italy

image.jpg

Russia

image.jpg

Ray Smyth:
Hi ROF, Yes, Uncle Joes Mint Balls are still made right here in Wigan.
The slogan is “Uncle Joes Mint Balls, Keep you all aglow”
They are produced by the Santus family, who I believe were, or are
connected to the firm of coachbuilders also called Santus.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

I presume they are nothing at all to do with the famous, Santus Claus?

Chris Webb:

rigsby:

coomsey:

I remember what the M1 was like in 1968/69 when I was on nights on market job,running back to Sheffield from Abbey Wood S.E.,I was due back at 0500. After the M1/M6 split it was dead,just the occasional trunker.

My son-in-law doesn’t believe me when I tell him that we could use main beam headlights on the motorway! :unamused:

A00213.JPG

You’d get past Luton n think it was busy! Compared to nowadays it was empty .Of course headlights on main beam ROF especially if you’d got a S80 so you could see the next cats eye :unamused: I think that Octopus could be one of E Spencer’s Dave.as above. Cheers Coomsey

coomsey:
You’d get past Luton n think it was busy! Compared to nowadays it was empty .Of course headlights on main beam ROF especially if you’d got a S80 so you could see the next cats eye :unamused: I think that Octopus could be one of E Spencer’s Dave.as above. Cheers Coomsey

They were the days all right. As said before, we didn’t realise how lucky we were. I remember them there Atlanteans flying past, leaning over to one side in the cross wind. :slight_smile:

Funny thing is, what springs mostly to my mind when I think of the very early days of the M1, north of Watford Gap anyway, is driving on moonlit nights just on sidelights.

And conversely, when headlights were required and, as said above, for long stretches on full beam, on seeing an oncoming lorry we would switch to sidelights instead of dip, to pass each other. Then often would ensue a surreal series of very brief flashes of thanks, thanks of thanks etc… I suppose it was a comforting connection of brotherhood in those days before CB (and certainly mobiles) that was only otherwise presented briefly when tipping and loading, in transport cafes, and digs.

I also remember that, after overtaking and receiving the returning flash, the ‘thank you’ was a double tail light flash, not the indicator to and fro of today which came much later. This meant that at night for a couple of brief split seconds you drove in complete darkness. :neutral_face:

When I came to work here for Gauthier I employed the same method, with our own drivers anyway, they definitely understood and some of them even returned the gesture in kind. :smiley:

Punchy Dan:

Rolls engine laying over having a rest in the scrap yard. The right place for it too.

Spardo:
Funny thing is, what springs mostly to my mind when I think of the very early days of the M1, north of Watford Gap anyway, is driving on moonlit nights just on sidelights.

And conversely, when headlights were required and, as said above, for long stretches on full beam, on seeing an oncoming lorry we would switch to sidelights instead of dip, to pass each other. Then often would ensue a surreal series of very brief flashes of thanks, thanks of thanks etc… I suppose it was a comforting connection of brotherhood in those days before CB (and certainly mobiles) that was only otherwise presented briefly when tipping and loading, in transport cafes, and digs.

I also remember that, after overtaking and receiving the returning flash, the ‘thank you’ was a double tail light flash, not the indicator to and fro of today which came much later. This meant that at night for a couple of brief split seconds you drove in complete darkness. :neutral_face:

When I came to work here for Gauthier I employed the same method, with our own drivers anyway, they definitely understood and some of them even returned the gesture in kind. :smiley:

Spot on Spardo :smiley:

peterm:

coomsey:

They were the days all right. As said before, we didn’t realise how lucky we were. I remember them there Atlanteans flying past, leaning over to one side in the cross wind. :slight_smile:

I remember the Midland Red coaches, ya buga those guys used to fly. I also recall when you got to the chimneys the smell n the London Brick lorries joining the motorway doing about 25mph. It always made me think they were moving a lorry museum en masse. Later on the Fodens /Volvo 86s started to appear n things speeded up a bit cheers coomsey

coomsey:

Spardo:

Spot on Spardo :smiley:

Aye,and if you flashed one in and he didn’t give two on tail lights he was an ignorant chuff. :laughing:
I remember Charlie Alexanders early 80s on A1 on trunk,they would run up behind you with no lights on and then get at side of yer,driver holding up a lighted match before zooming away into the night in their Marathons. Happy nights.

I was on me way to Bristol from London early one morning, still dark… flat out at about 45 on the A4. A lorry caught me up and gave me a flash on the high beams, but I couldn’t see the road was clear so left him there. He flashed again, but still couldn’t see. He got impatient and pulled out anyway; got halfway past and over the hill came a car. I braked to let him in and he braked as well, so I tried flooring it… so did he. Meanwhile the poor bugger in the car took to the verge, if only to empty his undercrackers. I managed not kill any kittens, puppies or children, but if I could have caught the prick… Bloody near caused a right smash up cos he had to be in front.