Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Hi servo that ERF fairground 8 wheeler is ex the late J.G (Jeff) Stamper of Brooklands Penrith. My ERF 66GX tanker pictured earlier on this thread was an ex JG S motor and a good one too.
Cheers Leyland 600.

servo88:

How appropriate the plate on that Otto driving at speed along a flooded road. :laughing:

Great action shot btw. :wink: :smiley:

oiltreader:
Thanks to Froggy55 and Leyland 600 for the pics :smiley: :smiley:
Tippers A96 at Inverness.
Oily

I wonder why British tippers are often different from what can be seen in France, with their smooth sides. For which kind of load is this one made for? Would it be grain? Its sleeper cab looks made for long-distance transport. Very neat!

And now a Scammell (some of you will give the exact model) with a spare engine.

servo88:

This photo reminds me of the Bewick Guy that was marooned in flood waters,picture on the Bewick thread I believe.

David

Froggy55:
And now a Scammell (some of you will give the exact model) with a spare engine.

Cracking photo Froggy55 :smiley: Charles D Holmes Shipbuilders, Marine Engineers of Hull.
Oily

Thanks to servo88, (you’re on roll Gordon :slight_smile: ) and Froggy55 for the pics :smiley: :smiley: I know very little about tippers other than guessing high slab sides would be for lighter bulk, coal, coke etc.
Oily

A bit different in Malta, max tonnage of rock.
Oily

Off road dumper/tipper, where are you coomsey, you;d have go on this :slight_smile: .
Oily

Tipper Dominicus Johannes Bergsma  cc by sa 4.0 Terra_Gator_2104_Track_Dumper)_Locatie_Noarderleech_03 JB .jpg

oiltreader:
Off road dumper/tipper, where are you coomsey, you;d have go on this :slight_smile: .
Oily

Wouldn’t I just Oily, down the High st.

oiltreader:
Thanks to servo88, (you’re on roll Gordon :slight_smile: ) and Froggy55 for the pics :smiley: :smiley: I know very little about tippers other than guessing high slab sides would be for lighter bulk, coal, coke etc.
Oily

Tipper bodies Oily? Don’t have dropsides, wooden or any that involve lifting /dropping coke boards.Single ram up front, twin barn doors at the rrrs. If in doubt, Wilcox. Cheers Paul

oiltreader:
Oily

Kendrick’s Mickey Mouse Fodens were the subject of much “café talk” back in the day. Most of us thought that Horace’s lads must have had access to a first-class Gardner fitter as they could pass most of us on the flat and up hill, despite being powered by the same 150 that the rest of us were using.

Retired Old ■■■■:

oiltreader:
Oily

Kendrick’s Mickey Mouse Fodens were the subject of much “café talk” back in the day. Most of us thought that Horace’s lads must have had access to a first-class Gardner fitter as they could pass most of us on the flat and up hill, despite being powered by the same 150 that the rest of us were using.

I agree ROF, This one that I had was the same 48.MPH, Up hill & down dale I bought it from Sellers & Kent Ilam nr. Ashbourne It used to pull like a train, It used to love being overloaded , When I did the Fish (Spratts) from North Shields, To Hull, Grimsby & Frazerbrough, The good old money making days IMO, Regards Larry.

Greedy boards removed for Quarry work, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry, your Foden was much faster than mine but of course I only had a 6LW not a 6LX not as many revs. However it was good for 42 mph flat oot. I once went from home (Wigton) to Lenham Storage near Maidstone non stop through night albeit with a light load approx 5 tons Kimberly Clark paper towels etc a high load but light. The old girl kept up 42 most of the way via Scotch Corner then A1 and straight through London. Left Wednesday evening at 8.00pm arrived at 7.05.am Thursday. I was rather tired when I pulled the engine stop. They started tipping me at 8am empty by about 9-15 and reloaded roped and sheeted further down the shed with an almost identical load for Renfrew departing at about 12 noon back as far as St Neots. Stayed with friends overnight and home next day by teatime Friday. Aye the good old days Apologies for the poor photo scanned from old Super 8 cine film.
Cheers Leyland 600

Cine Film988 Correction.jpg

Retired Old ■■■■:

oiltreader:
Oily

Sounds like they had a fitter like one of Longsons drivers Casey , he would take the pump trigger out , file it down a bit and put it back in an hour . His motors were 5 or 6 mph faster than normal and pulled like a train , it never seemed to do them any harm either .

Bedford Coach.

Hi PV 83, Are Winstones still on the go ? I last saw them in 2007.
Cheers Leyland 600

pv83:

An unusual and interesting outfit. What was the payload of the truck and the trailer?