Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

The motor was brand new 1447/8 To Newcastle Coop, It has changed hands serveral times I believe, I took this photo a The Leyland gathering in the 90s, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
The motor was brand new 1447/8 To Newcastle Coop, It has changed hands serveral times I believe, I took this photo a The Leyland gathering in the 90s, Regards Larry.0

Sorry the date should have read 1947/8. Regards Larry.

Saw this Leyland parked up at Cullompton services today.
Had a look inside it was painted a light blue interior.
I remember a one my Dad drove had the same colour interior, (which triggered a few memories of me sat on the engine cover as a kid :smiley: ) maybe Gerald will know if they were all the same.

robroy:

Saw this Leyland parked up at Cullompton services today.
Had a look inside it was painted a light blue interior.
I remember a one my Dad drove had the same colour interior, (which triggered a few memories of me sat on the engine cover as a kid :smiley: ) maybe Gerald will know if they were all the same.

Well IIRC The ones I saw in the 50/60s Era were a light Gray colour, Of course some drivers used to paint their own , I remember a driver painting an AEC, Canary Yellow, It looked awful, It must have been hard on the eyes,Regards Larry.

windrush:

Punchy Dan:
0123inhouse recovery :open_mouth:

Mmm, doing poor young Darrel Mansfield out of some recovery work now are we Dan? It’s just not on you know! :unamused: :laughing:

Pete.

Yes Pete I’ll do anything for ill gains :blush: err I mean err to make money :wink: :laughing:

Hi Larry with a date like 1447 it must have been in the Shore Porters fleet from Aiberdeen. I think this Octopus is now in the H E Payne preserved fleet from Wyboston near St Neots theirs is certainly an LTN number. I can remember loading wheatfeed at CWS Dunston mill circa 1962 and seeing CWS Leylands like this one.
To Robroy I seem to remember Comet cabs were painted a light brownish colour same as the exteriors ex works. I drove one for a while which was a grubby cream as I remember.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Great looking lorries. Although I owned a LAD cab Leyland Comet, I can’t help feeling that the design was a backward step from the previous 1950s Leyland cab. Perhaps they’d have been better developing that?

Or is that just me?

John

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

Punchy Dan:
0123inhouse recovery :open_mouth:

Mmm, doing poor young Darrel Mansfield out of some recovery work now are we Dan? It’s just not on you know! :unamused: :laughing:

Pete.

Yes Pete I’ll do anything for ill gains :blush: err I mean err to make money :wink: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Money Money Money Its a rich mans world, Keep up the good work Dan the very good haulage man, Regards Larry. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Leyland600:
Hi Larry with a date like 1447 it must have been in the Shore Porters fleet from Aiberdeen. I think this Octopus is now in the H E Payne preserved fleet from Wyboston near St Neots theirs is certainly an LTN number. I can remember loading wheatfeed at CWS Dunston mill circa 1962 and seeing CWS Leylands like this one.
To Robroy I seem to remember Comet cabs were painted a light brownish colour same as the exteriors ex works. I drove one for a while which was a grubby cream as I remember.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hi Leyland 600, The Coop Ltd ran quite a few of the Octopusses, When they sold them off, Crows of Gateshead, Longhorn Transport Gateshead , J.J.Brownlee bought them they were in good nick & had never been overworked or overloaded, A pal of mine the Late Syd Sterry drove one of them & ran to Manchester to Crumpsall Buscuit factory & he was allowed 3 days to do the round trip, Then do a couple of days on local work when he got back, Regards Larry.

oiltreader:

pv83:

oiltreader:
A wee touch with the left foot on the brake pedal, just enough to light up :smiling_imp:
Oily

Now that’s some proper slipstreaming in order to save some fuel Oily! :laughing: :laughing:

Aye Patrick, I look at that and cringe forgetting that when I was a youth pedalling to work, (a 10 mile round trip), an opportunity to slipstream a bus didn’t go amiss :blush: :laughing: :laughing:
Oily

:laughing: :laughing:

image.jpegbranching out in to water distribution,toxic water :blush:

Punchy Dan:
0branching out in to water distribution,toxic water :blush:

Nice photo there Dan, Of course it you have a plan come & consult DAN THE HAULAGE MAN, :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: , Keep up the good work Dan, Regards Larry.

I got this AEC Brand new in 1969 UBB 805 G, When drove for F.Short & Son Ltd, Newcastle, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:

Nice photo there Dan, Of course it you have a plan come & consult DAN THE HAULAGE MAN, :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: , Keep up the good work Dan, Regards Larry.

Rof has found a spring on the allotment :laughing: so waiting for re branding ,Macclesfield water :wink:

Punchy Dan:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:

Rof has found a spring on the allotment :laughing: so waiting for re branding ,Macclesfield water :wink:

Wow, Is he becoming the new Dell Boy I wonder, :wink: :wink: :wink: , Macclesfield Magnifco Refreshment To suit all ages, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Not sure Larry,more like during the war … :blush:

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Punchy Dan:
Not sure Larry,more like during the war … :blush:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:

Go easy with the praise Larry, otherwise the lad will have a head like Gateshead before long! :unamused: :wink: He does seem to run a decent setup though…Mrs Dan has trained him well. :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:

Go easy with the praise Larry, otherwise the lad will have a head like Gateshead before long! :unamused: :wink: He does seem to run a decent setup though…Mrs Dan has trained him well. :laughing:

Pete.

Well my Mrs seems to think If it wasnt for her involement I wouldnt be driving a Jaguar, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Take care my friend, Regards Larry.

Punchy Dan:

That tank was orange last time i saw it! That motor of yours is looking good Dan and sounds as sweet as a nut, how many miles on her now?