Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

pv83:
Never saw an Ford D series with such a sleeper cab…? Was it optional, or is this the result of some craftsmanship?

sleeper cabs weren’t an option on d series , but unity , locomotors etc did sleeper conversions . I’ve an official ford bodywork book at home from about 1970 and that has a sleeper conversion company in it

tony

DEANB:
Nice ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve got a shilling that says that is parked at Sacré-Cœur, (Montmartre) Paris.

rastone:

pv83:

pyewacket947v:

pv83:
Never saw an Ford D series with such a sleeper cab…? Was it optional, or is this the result of some craftsmanship?

i dont think Ford ever offered one of these as a factory option. Most likely be by Jennings or some local workshop.
The style of the cab roof is unusual.

My thinking as well mate, nicely done though whoever did the conversion, they even managed to create some sort of “spacecab” sort of roof.

The West one was by Frank Guy or Reeve Burgess which we supplied from T.C.H.The Cargo was by Whitacres of Hanley and their products were very well built.I remember in the late 50’s early 60’s a chap buiding a cab timber frame for an integral van.Beautiful.
They also did this

Tony

Hi Tony, The dustbin lorry appears to have a radiator grille from a Ford Prefect 100E,
and the car transporter van has a radiator grille from a Hillman Minx. Regards, Ray.

grumpy old man:

DEANB:
Nice ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve got a shilling that says that is parked at Sacré-Cœur, (Montmartre) Paris.

I think you are spot on!

Thanks to pv83, DEANB and rastone for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

A bit more about the coach build of the pic that Dean posted, also other French styling from the 1950s.
darkroastedblend.com/2012/06 … built.html

oily bus.jpg

rastone:

pv83:

pyewacket947v:

pv83:

i dont think Ford ever offered one of these as a factory option. Most likely be by Jennings or some local workshop.
The style of the cab roof is unusual.

My thinking as well mate, nicely done though whoever did the conversion, they even managed to create some sort of “spacecab” sort of roof.

The West one was by Frank Guy or Reeve Burgess which we supplied from T.C.H.The Cargo was by Whitacres of Hanley and their products were very well built.I remember in the late 50’s early 60’s a chap buiding a cab timber frame for an integral van.Beautiful.
They also did this

Tony

A effectively disguised run of the mill Thames 4D.

From Malta, and one of the many ex UK wagons working there, any ideas who the Doncaster firm might have been.
Oily

Leyland Octopus 1979 maltabuses 20111025124542-173c6525-me maltabuses.jpg

From Malta again, a rarity, a 1965 LAD cab Leyland Retriever.
Oily

Leyland Retriever 1965 maltabuses20111025124634-aa6e4443-me maltabuses.jpg

Another selection of James Hare tippers parked at Sturge Chemicals ,Lifford.
KWP 589P, a Scania 85 6x2 with a rear axle lift.
In some ways this was a useful little motor, easy to handle,though running empty with the axle lifted she had a tendency to sway a little.
This was my first encounter with Scanias infamous small cab. I didn’t like it ,try as i might i could never get a comfortable driving position.
EOG 835L, the 2nd of the Scania 110s after i had been using it for a while. At the time Jim obtained these 110s, they were something of a revelation
compared to what had gone before. They were not perfect. The braking was never as sure as the AECs, and the ride loaded was a tad choppy.
Transmission problems were Scanias Achilles Heel. Propshaft U/Js which were a different design to the usual flange to flange held by a circle of banjo bolts.
EOGs range change failed on my way out of Buxton loaded one afternoon. `The journey home was a epic story in its self.
On the plus side there was laminated windscreens,safe well heated cab, a diff lock and a exhaust brake that allowed me to drop down through Ashborne , albeit slowly,in 2nd with barely a glance at the service brake.
HOJ 628N, a Scammell Routeman driven by Tony Leek, son of Albert Leek who carted the slurry waste away from Sturges in a unpainted AEC Marshall.
All 4 pics date from mid 1976

250576 (2).jpg

250576.jpg

While the subject of Ford D type sleepers is still in mind.
How about this ?
Leicester Forest East services
M1
Leicester
22 October 1986

Little lorries in Mojacar, Almeria Province in South East Spain, most of them delivering the
products of various breweries, Cruzcampo, Mahou, San Miguel, Estrella, etc.
The drivers of these lorries do a wonderful job, and I enjoy sampling their products in my
part time capacity as A.R.S.E. (Alcohol Related Scrutineering Executive). Regards, Ray Smyth.

Tipped at the Adelphi distillery Glenborrowdale, a nice day up in the Highlands.

WP_20180227_018.jpg

WP_20180227_009.jpg

wrighty:
Tipped at the Adelphi distillery Glenborrowdale, a nice day up in the Highlands.

Fine pictures there. Nice to see a bit of bonnie Scotland again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

oiltreader:
Thanks to pv83, DEANB and rastone for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

A bit more about the coach build of the pic that Dean posted, also other French styling from the 1950s.
darkroastedblend.com/2012/06 … built.html

Certainly a great change from the standard Citroën 55 chassis! I remember they were around in Paris when I was a kid.

Apologies again for the photo quality, I could only afford a 110 camera at the time :cry:

Livery suits this Fiat outfit

Misc 30.jpg

I think this taken at Toddington Services?

Manchester (Ringway) Airport

Russell Davies got the edge on me - not really, just wanted a picture!

I think this is a Mack truck?

The ERF next to the Scania looks like it’s from the Gardner Diesel engines fleet

pyewacket947v:
While the subject of Ford D type sleepers is still in mind.
How about this ?
Leicester Forest East services
M1
Leicester
22 October 1986

Looks like a mushroom doesn’t it…? Right, I’ll get me coat…

gazsa401:
The ERF next to the Scania looks like it’s from the Gardner Diesel engines fleet

This one gazsa401 I’ve tweaked Pennineman’s pic to get a better look at the reg plate.
Oily

Pennineman misc 31.jpg

Pennineman:
Apologies again for the photo quality, I could only afford a 110 camera at the time :cry:

Livery suits this Fiat outfit

Manchester (Ringway) Airport

Russell Davies got the edge on me - not really, just wanted a picture!

I think this is a Mack truck?

Yep,its a Mack.

Thanks to pyewacket947v, Ray Smyth, wrighty and Penineman for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Had to google this to find out what it did… suction transfer blower from bulk carriers.