Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Hi Oily & Rastone, After looking at all these good photos of capable looking and attractive Dodges I think I am going to have a nighmare tonight dreaming of the one I had in 1965. As I have said before it was a (zb) nightmare , a great motor when it was OK but that was only for a maximum of two days and then it broke something else. YUK !!!
Cheers Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Hi Oily & Rastone, After looking at all these good photos of capable looking and attractive Dodges I think I am going to have a nighmare tonight dreaming of the one I had in 1965. As I have said before it was a (zb) nightmare , a great motor when it was OK but that was only for a maximum of two days and then it broke something else. YUK !!!
Cheers Leyland 600.

Aye man Gerald if only you had accepted you couldn’t keep up with the “Ireby Lads” the Dodge would have done OK for you eh! it would have been your fault for walloping the bollox off it trying to keep up :unamused: . Anyhow what sort of spec was this nightmare motor then . Cheers Dennis.

Smart Iveco draw-bar in Italy,2007.

Here a few photos by courtesy of Rob Wakefield.His dad loading brewers grains at Truemans on to Walter Salt’s Trader and his dad’s D-series ready for Longford silver jubilee 1977 and then a couple of Dennis Salt’s tippers

Tony

Reiver.jpg

The last time I saw ‘young’ Robert, at Brailsford Ploughing Match last back end, he looked as though a few sessions with a RB1 like his dad is handling with ease would do him no harm either! :laughing: I remember the Leylands in Ballidon (and getting all the good work :wink: ), that Reiver didn’t look like that for long after Jim bought it though! :unamused:

Pete.

Thanks to rastone, DEANB and ERF-NGC-European for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

M S Middleton and Sons at Hodthorpe from fellow flickrite Ron Young.
Oily

windrush:
The last time I saw ‘young’ Robert, at Brailsford Ploughing Match last back end, he looked as though a few sessions with a RB1 like his dad is handling with ease would do him no harm either! :laughing: I remember the Leylands in Ballidon (and getting all the good work :wink: ), that Reiver didn’t look like that for long after Jim bought it though! :unamused:

Pete.

As I don’t drive very far nowadays, when I went to the start of the gravel run at the Salt Box, Rob took me to Chrich and after he came to pick me up at home ( Doveridge ) and we had a bloody good day and we called to see his dad on the way back ( here I go rattling on again) but on the way there was a car meeting in a car park( I can’t give you the name) so we called in and it involved A.C. cars and they were going to Chrich too.Rob had never heard of them and perhaps many of the readers won’t.They were made in Coventry next to the Maudsley works. I remember leaning on a wall watching them come in after road test.This was just after the war but I can’t remember why I was there but i know my uncle and Gt uncle went to Daimler and Armstrong Sidleley to try and get some bits for their motors.My Great uncle couldn’t get his bit whatever it was ( Armstrong Sideleley) but they sent him to a pattern makers to sort the job out and they would make one.I’ve a feeling you can’t do that sort of thing now.
Here are a couple pictures of my mate Henry Prince who lived at the Waste Farm iat Ellastone and now lives in ■■■■■■ ( Oxford) and he does ploughing matches and he bought a second hand Eurocargo and has a small crane on it so he has no problem loading his plough.I understand he does quite well with silver ware.
I wonder if readers know that during the war Bamfords at Uttoxeter used to assemble Daimler Scout cars.The bits were taken to the factory from Coventry and Bamfords put them together.It’s amazing what went on re.manufactoring then,Ford used to build Merlin engines.Never mind the comments !!!

Tony

Scan_20160413 (2).png

Dennis , it would not have survived for 20 miles if I had had to drive it to keep up with those two, it was a case of driving it with carpet slippers on and keeping everything crossed that I would eventually reach my destination. There was no way that I would attempt to keep up with those two. !!
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Dennis , it would not have survived for 20 miles if I had had to drive it to keep up with those two, it was a case of driving it with carpet slippers on and keeping everything crossed that I would eventually reach my destination. There was no way that I would attempt to keep up with those two. !!
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Well who talked you into buying the Dodge in the first place Gerald ? couldn’t have been Norman could it ? Cheers Dennis.

Nice !

DEANB:
Nice !

■■■■ !!!

Thanks to rastone and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: great memories of the Fordson N my first driving lesson 1945, feeding cattle in the field, me in the seat and the farmer or tractor man would would have foot on the dual clutch/brake put it in gear let the clutch out and on tickover he would jump off and to the back of the cart and drag off the load of turnips with a drag fork then back onto the tractor and take over, harvest time the same between the stooks and later on when I could reach the clutchbrake and carting out dung I would be started at one end of the field with instructions “see that fence post with my jacket on it, well keep the radiator cap pointed at that” he dragged the dung off with stop go shouting until we got to the other end looking back an arrow straight line of dung heaps. 70 plus years ago and it seems like yesterday.
Oily

oiltreader:
Thanks to rastone and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: great memories of the Fordson N my first driving lesson 1945, feeding cattle in the field, me in the seat and the farmer or tractor man would would have foot on the dual clutch/brake put it in gear let the clutch out and on tickover he would jump off and to the back of the cart and drag off the load of turnips with a drag fork then back onto the tractor and take over, harvest time the same between the stooks and later on when I could reach the clutchbrake and carting out dung I would be started at one end of the field with instructions “see that fence post with my jacket on it, well keep the radiator cap pointed at that” he dragged the dung off with stop go shouting until we got to the other end looking back an arrow straight line of dung heaps. 70 plus years ago and it seems like yesterday.
Oily

Yes I know what you mean.Also starting on petrol and then switching over to T.V.O.Then the Major came out same system but you could drive them standing up.I remember well this tractor as I think it went into preservation.He then had a Fordson Major which engine with a few mod’s went into the ET ^ which was an 4 D…He did a throttle foot control mod which was good.What good memories scuffleing a field in the evening in beautiful countryside.
Tony

By the way they did fit a Perkins engine in the old Major.

A P6 if I remember correctly, wasn’t it, lads?
Having access to a great supply of elm branches (remember elms, before the Dutch disease?) my old chap used to borrow the standard Fordson from the farm next door, complete with belt-driven saw bench. Our neighbour didn’t have access to a decent fitter/wouldn’t pay for one so starting the tractor involved meeting the man just after milking and breakfast in order to spend a couple of hours swinging the handle. Then we wouldn’t stop the engine all day as it was even worse to start when it had been running.
Fast forward 60 years and tractors have cabs with heaters, comfortable seats , unlimited horse power and even sat nav.

Retired Old ■■■■:
A P6 if I remember correctly, wasn’t it, lads?
Having access to a great supply of elm branches (remember elms, before the Dutch disease?) my old chap used to borrow the standard Fordson from the farm next door, complete with belt-driven saw bench. Our neighbour didn’t have access to a decent fitter/wouldn’t pay for one so starting the tractor involved meeting the man just after milking and breakfast in order to spend a couple of hours swinging the handle. Then we wouldn’t stop the engine all day as it was even worse to start when it had been running.
Fast forward 60 years and tractors have cabs with heaters, comfortable seats , unlimited horse power and even sat nav.

Yes it was a P 6 but only on the blue major

Tony

The old and new !

I meant the dark blue major

Thanks to rastone and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley:

A proper load.
Oily

Volvo Ronnie Lochmaddy 4452963965_54c163d758 rcc _o.jpg

rastone:
I meant the dark blue major

Of course. A PROPER Major!