Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

This is begging for a caption, so come on have a go.
oily

This is begging for a caption.jpg

oiltreader:
oily

" O.K. … My last tipper had a two-stick gearbox ! "

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Scammells assorted.
oily

More Scammells.
oily

Scammell harrison and sons.jpg

Scammell Routeman tanker.jpg

Samuel William’s Scania Vabis loading Pilkington’s container.
oily

Cheers Oily my father in front of the last Crossley .Grandad had it new around 1933/4.The young boy is now 82.Regards Rich.

oiltreader:
Start today with three Crossleys.
oily

I came across a thumbnail of these today and have blown them up a bit, there was no info with the pic, but the front bumper jogs my memory. I can’t remember if they were Anderson’s. or McKelvies, they ran steel from Ravenscraig to places like Sheffield and Brum, they were petrol Macks and boy did they power along, nothing else could live with them, the time would have been late 50s early 60s, personally I have had one come past me and the sound from the stack gave you that kinda “boy I would like a go in one of them” feeling.
This from a fading memory and I will stand corrected by anyone with more detailed knowledge of them.
oily

richgriff:
Cheers Oily my father in front of the last Crossley .Grandad had it new around 1933/4.The young boy is now 82.Regards Rich.0

oiltreader:
Start today with three Crossleys.
oily

Hi Rich, that’s great, makes it really worth all the digging.
All the Best
oily

oiltreader:
I came across a thumbnail of these today and have blown them up a bit, there was no info with the pic, but the front bumper jogs my memory. I can’t remember if they were Anderson’s. or McKelvies, they ran steel from Ravenscraig to places like Sheffield and Brum, they were petrol Macks and boy did they power along, nothing else could live with them, the time would have been late 50s early 60s, personally I have had one come past me and the sound from the stack gave you that kinda “boy I would like a go in one of them” feeling.
This from a fading memory and I will stand corrected by anyone with more detailed knowledge of them.
oily

Hi Oily the Macks were P&S contracts or similar and they are on a “B” plate and i can remember them flying over woodhead in the late 60s but I am sure they were diesel engines then they were yellow cabs and a red front bumper with white writing on. They ran into Sheffield and Rotherham quite regularly and it always looked as they had a very good load on. :laughing:
cheers Johnnie

oiltreader:
Scammells assorted.
oily

the crusader operated by direct with reg no UGH 946M was 1 of 4 supplied to kwikasair when they started in the uk. i had UGH947M from new and was over the water every week with it

is it still around?

this is a fantastic thread oiltreader,here’s a few of mine before i hit the big tme on transporters(if you believe that s***e,you’ll believe anything)

I have a vague memory that some Leyland Super Hippo’s with Rolls-Royce motors were sold to Canada to
some mining/excervating group. Memory says Mayne Nicklass, but I think they were Austrailian
(With regard to top photo of this page…)

Endit:
I have a vague memory that some Leyland Super Hippo’s with Rolls-Royce motors were sold to Canada to
some mining/excervating group. Memory says Mayne Nicklass, but I think they were Austrailian
(With regard to top photo of this page…)

Hi Endit, your on track, but more like Exploratory Drilling Rig operations I would say.
oily

oiltreader:
oily

These Macks belonged to P&S Contracts Glasgow, the were deisel, not petrol, I used to back load off them in the 50/60s From Beardmores at Parkead X, There wasnt any thing on the road that could keep up with them, Glasgow to Rotherham & back in one hit, They also ran a Foden or two in those days. Geo Patterson emigrated. Regards Larry

Father’s first new motor after the war, 1946.

Bernard

Uddingston Brick Yard, Loaded for McGoverns at Gateshead, the good days in long distance work.

Port of Blyth Loaded for Dundee.

This driver worked for Jakey all his life, Joe Bell.[Ginger Joe], a real cracking bloke. Regards Larry.

albion1938:
Father’s first new motor after the war, 1946.

Bernard

Love the mirror Bernard!!!

oiltreader:
oily

My caption would be unprintable because I did that back in about '65.

I had a 6 wheeler AEC of Wimpeys working on building the MI near Nottingham. The lever to release the tailgate was on the front of the body so you only had to reach out of the cab as the body went up. I’d done it so many times that - I forgot. :open_mouth:

Of course I wasn’t going to climb up the body to pull the lever so took a big hammer and started whacking away at the hooks at the back. When they released the load came out with a rush and the front wheels bounced back to the ground, narrowly missing the banksman who, never having seen underneath a lorry before, was regarding the sump with interest. :laughing:

Lawrence is right about the P & S Macks. I was working for Ilkeston Haulage at the time and was often passed by them all lit up like christmas trees (we called them that) coming down the A 74 at night.

Another one shot over the Heads of the Valleys passing me (and that was the old road) with hardly a sigh.

My memory though is that they were more orange than yellow, but I could be wrong.

I think most if not all of them were right hand drive imports from Australia, where a year or 2 later I had one of my own pulling 3 trailers. :slight_smile: