Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

rigsby:
I think the quarry job is about done down your way Pete , the son and heir of the rigsby fortunes has been running tarmac to Cromford all week on nights from Cemex at Dove Holes . Takes me back to the 90s when the road from Tunstead past Tarmac’s Waterswallows quarry was relaid with tarmac from Ballidon , with Topley Pike 3miles away .

Aye they are doing Water Lane at nights Dave. There is no tarmac produced in this area now, apart from a small plant at Ryder Point. Longcliffe were supposed to be setting a plant up but I don’t know if that is still happening? Neither Dene or Ballidon have had plants for years. When I drove for Frank Gough he constantly complained that I was having to cart dry stone a lot of the time, now there are not many quarries/plants still open that I worked from anyway! Crich, Milltown, Shining Bank, Dalton, Goddards, Staveley…all long gone. :unamused:

Pete.

windrush:

rigsby:
I think the quarry job is about done down your way Pete , the son and heir of the rigsby fortunes has been running tarmac to Cromford all week on nights from Cemex at Dove Holes . Takes me back to the 90s when the road from Tunstead past Tarmac’s Waterswallows quarry was relaid with tarmac from Ballidon , with Topley Pike 3miles away .

Aye they are doing Water Lane at nights Dave. There is no tarmac produced in this area now, apart from a small plant at Ryder Point. Longcliffe were supposed to be setting a plant up but I don’t know if that is still happening? Neither Dene or Ballidon have had plants for years. When I drove for Frank Gough he constantly complained that I was having to cart dry stone a lot of the time, now there are not many quarries/plants still open that I worked from anyway! Crich, Milltown, Shining Bank, Dalton, Goddards, Staveley…all long gone. :unamused:

Pete.

Once Buxton runs out of its low quality stone they will have to start again down here :laughing:

The way they are going at it there can’t be many years left in Tunstead or Cemex . There is a rumour that Tarmac could reopen the old Ryan’s quarry beside Hillhead

oiltreader:
Has he been on one of the Macclesfield courses :laughing:
Oily

No he hasn’t! Looks more like a Scottish load- I’ll bet there’s a Glasgow Cross on the back. Personally, if I’d carried such a crappy-looking load I’d have hidden it under one of Bewick’s tatty old sheets.

OK then mebbe a bit of online tutoring for this Stornoway driver and load for a proper job.
Oily

Richard Reads before they finnished :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ade

Contributions for this wet day, Buzzer

No rain here Buzzer, it’s a lovely sunny day and I’ve been out for a walk. That Volvo (Swedish Reiver :wink: ) reminded me of one of Freeman’s from Curdworth at first.

Pete.

oiltreader:
OK then mebbe a bit of online tutoring for this Stornoway driver and load for a proper job.
Oily

Tidy job tidy job ! Nowt wrong with that effort IMHO but mebe that rope around the back of the high bit of the load might work its way down and come loose but otherwise spot on. Those sheets have either been widened or have had some new panels inserted ! nowt wrong with that either !
Cheers Bewick.

jshepguis:
Been on the NA3T website found this interesting outfit.

Gavin McArdle entering Dover Eastern. I did a bit for Davies Turner when I first started as an O/D, Gavin was running Austria and Greece for them although he’s an ex middle east man. Good lad, learnt the ropes off him and a few others.

Bewick:

oiltreader:
Oily

Tidy job tidy job ! Nowt wrong with that effort IMHO but mebe that rope around the back of the high bit of the load might work its way down and come loose but otherwise spot on. Those sheets have either been widened or have had some new panels inserted ! nowt wrong with that either !
Cheers Bewick.

Praise indeed :wink: :smiley:
Oily

Thanks to lurpak and Buzzer for the pics :smiley: :smiley:
This Richard Read snap thanks to SCP.
Oily

windrush:

grumpy old man:

Leyland600:
Hi Oily as you probably know this AEC Marshall was often parked up overnight on The Sands at Carlisle along with a few other fridge vans frae the Buchan district. The Marshall was popular with these hauliers at that time T M Catto, S A Macraes, Gibbs and others
Cheers, Leyland 600

AEC Marshall was a great motor. It was the first motor that I ever got new , fresh out of the box, tipper body, Hendrickson rear suspension. 5177
WY reg. no.

We had Marshall’s at our quarry before I started there and I think they were well liked, although they did like eating head gaskets and chucking the fan through the rads and performance wasn’t brilliant on hills as the gearchange was on the slow side. They were replaced with the half cab Foden’s which originally had no power steering although that was added later, possibly not as quite as comfortable but certainly more reliable and better at hillclimbing.

Pete.

Like the Marshalls, AEC Mammoth Majors were blessed with the same slow gear change, The two i drove for James Hare, out of Lifford where fitted with butterfly exhaust brakes, located in the down pipe, With a bit of practice it was possible to make quick up shifts by heeling the floor mounted button, a method i used often between Ashwood Dale and over the top at Hindlow, and again climbing the Clifton by pass.!

lurpak:
Richard Reads before they finnished :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ade

Great shots of a memorable fleet lurpak .thanks for posting ,regards Keith

Leyland600:
Hi Oily as you probably know this AEC Marshall was often parked up overnight on The Sands at Carlisle along with a few other fridge vans frae the Buchan district. The Marshall was popular with these hauliers at that time T M Catto, S A Macraes, Gibbs and others
Cheers, Leyland 600

Parked there a lot G and handy it was for the digs in Corporation Road, great memories :smiley:
Oily

Thanks to Punchy Dan for the pics :smiley:
A9 Kessock Bridge Inverness and a rare sight back in June this year, not the wagon but the weather.
Oily

Long ago near Adelaide.
Oily

1962 and a Hansen road train at Quilpie, Queensland. I’ve just read that Amy Johnson landed at Quilpie on her flight from England in 1930.
Oily

Still in OZ at Longreach Queensland and drive doing a tyre check.
Oily