pair of clowns

De rooy do this quite often and has been doing it for years

brit pete:

Whatever happened to Edcrest ? :confused:

At the caravan place by me they do this. They come over with caravans loaded(think they are normally Dutch trucks) and would normally run back unloaded.
I always guessed they put the other truck on to save on fuel and having to pay for two trucks to go on the ferry when they could just pay for one that was loaded up?

Brit European do it too.

It does have a lot of benefits, not just fuel saved, but tyres, general wear and tear, driving hours.

joedwyer1:
I thought dafs were assembled at leyland?

And Holland. :smiley:

Dunno then?:

joedwyer1:

And Holland. :smiley:

& france De rooy bring em in though caen all the time the small 1 that is lol

Now, i could be wrong, but i thought they brought the 95s over from Holland, and took the smaller CFs/LFs back from Leyland … i seem to recall one of De Rooy’s got “pulled” as overweight with 4 (yes FOUR) 95s on a drawbar ?
Sometimes see them on the M62 going to Hull/Killingholme “doubled-up” but i thought they usually drove them on. A lot of the ones i’ve seen lately are PL registered.

joedwyer1:

The cabs are brought in from Europe by de Rooys,(Polish registered!),and usually backload with finished chassis cabs,I have seen LD’s and XF’s.
Piggy backing motors is common with a lot of transporters if they have no backload or have to travel some distance to collect one.
As has been said,saves on wear and tear,tyres,fuel and driving hours.

Suedehead:

brit pete:

Whatever happened to Edcrest ? :confused:

It became Intramast

If you ask the same question again it could be whatever happened to them?

I noticed that Polish truck has got a Polish Number Plate :wink:

They normally load them the opposite way round and drive the truck and trailer onto their mate, but that will be probably heavy on the front axle too. We used to do this with caravan lorries and drop the trailer on the other trailer.

However I have seen many of these still coupled and strapped on. I wondered why they struggled up hills but unless the road is perfectly straight and level, they must be trying to pivot in two places whilst being fastened rigidly.

The actual trucks are well designed, I used to see a lot of them running tractors out of Ford / New Holland when I was delivering tractor backs (tyres)

As Wheel Nut says they are very well designed, they shave bits of cab off to allow them to fit as many vehicles on as possible, some are cut specifically to carry a certain type/model of truck. the cabs for the Daf LF series are Renault cabs (also used on the little Volvos) that would explain the sightings in Caen.

They piggyback empty units to save money & time, this way they have to fuel, pay tolls, wear & tear etc on one motor rather than two & the drivers can double man so they get back in half the time.

Whilst I was at TRUCK mag we had a wall of shame, the title for worst haulier was a fight between De Rooy & Dukes Transport, De Rooy was slightly in the lead with a four axle FL10 loaded with 4 SuperSpace Cab Daf 6x2 units, about 34ton payload on a 32-5ton gross lorry, he got pulled after burning out the clutch trying to get up Telegraph Hill on the A38 in Devon :open_mouth:

Now Jan De Rooy is a full on cowboy, that’s not defamation of character, because it’s true, they’re always getting nicked for something (I think the latest is sending lorries to the UK on false plates) but the man is very innovative, some of the trucks they use for specific jobs are fantastic examples of engineering & we all owe him a thank you for the big cabs we drive around in now, back in the old 15/18metre overall length limit days, Mr De Rooy was cutting cabs down so the driver was almost standing up, so that he could increase the length of the load bay, the powers that be took a dim view of this & limited load bed lengths & increased overall lengths slightly so that the drivers space wasn’t compromised by profiteering hauliers, so thanks Jan :wink:

there was a piece about de rooy in one of the magazines within the last year or so about the unusual design traits they use in their trucks. it said all the work is done in their own workshops and that when the trucks lives are finished they never sell them on to competitors, just cut them up on their own yard.

funnily enough in contrast to newmercman’s post the article made him out to be a true professional!!! having seen how some of his trucks are loaded though i doubt thats too true.

bestbooties:

joedwyer1:

The cabs are brought in from Europe by de Rooys,(Polish registered!),and usually backload with finished chassis cabs,I have seen LD’s and XF’s.
Piggy backing motors is common with a lot of transporters if they have no backload or have to travel some distance to collect one.

Cabs are assembled elsewhere,
They are built from chassis at Leyland, pretty amazing how simply they are put together on the production line.
Not sure if the engines are built at Leyland or brought in from elsewhere.

Yes, they bring cabs over for Leyland, you can fit about 10 cabs on them and then they piggy back to home. Notice how they use a Volvo rather than a DAF ? They do run DAF’s to be honest

They load new New Hollands out of the plant at Basildon, 3 or 4 at a time on these, they are loaded by the factory drivers. I have been seing UK reg’d DeRooy trucks lately too.

B1 GGK:

bestbooties:

joedwyer1:

Cabs are assembled elsewhere,
They are built from chassis at Leyland, pretty amazing how simply they are put together on the production line.
Not sure if the engines are built at Leyland or brought in from elsewhere.

Nothing is actually made at Leyland, the LF cabs are made by Renault, they come with everything but the dashboard & seats, I think Daf also add their own door cards as well as the front grille, the axles & gearbox are bought in from ZF, the engines in the smaller ones are badged Paccar but are made by ■■■■■■■■ it’s the same basic engine as the one in the small Ivecos & it was a joint venture between Paccar, ■■■■■■■ & New Holland (which is the Iveco connnection) in fact pretty much the only British content is the air in the tyres :cry:

It’s a different story at Eindhoven, they buy in axles & gearboxes, but the bigger engines (CF & XF) are made on site, even the camshafts are ground from blanks, it’s an amazing process to watch as they make an engine from lumps of metal.

!(http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac319/aljabol/wagons/P1010251.jpg[/IM

hope this works saw this going south bound on m6 a while ago 3 wagon & drags)