WA Humphreys, Pontyclun

Anybody know any info about these?

What the works like, reputation, office attitude, hours etc

Already know the money just after a more rounded view.

Cheers in advance.

Never seen one of their trucks looking remotely scruffy. That says a lot about them for me.

Cheers for the reply.

Option 1,

Expect to leave the yard Monday with anything between 15 and 25 drops. All rolls of fabric, all handball. Either Birmingham/Manchester, north Wales/Lancs, or Derby/Yorkshire. Complete this by about Wednesday dinnertime. Pick up a load for an RDC in the south east, tip, then head over to Belgium empty, parking up over there Thursday night.

Friday you’ll be loading from around 8 or 10 collection points around Kortrijk, again all handball, then hightail it back to the dock and cross over. Park up then run in Saturday morning, wash the truck then ■■■■ off home.

Option 2,

Monday leave the yard with 10-15 drops south Wales/south coast, or London/Essex, tip those by Tuesday dinnertime, empty to Belgium, load Wednesday, cross back over and tip Thursday/Friday around the north of England. Sometimes you’re lucky enough to get home Friday night, but usually it was run in Saturday.

Things may have changed since I was there (2007) but I doubt they’ve changed that much. It’s a hard hard job, but it was compensated for by some bloody good night’s out in Ostend. We used to run Ramsgate- Ostend, but obviously not any more. On a Thursday they’d be 4 or 5 of you out there, on a Tuesday maybe 2 or 3. There was a good camaraderie between the drivers, but it lost a bit when the flip flops arrived. They were living in a caravan in the yard. They were decent enough, but with the language barrier it’s always gonna be tricky.

Takes about 6 months to fully get into the job. From learning all the delivery and collection points, to the art of loading in drop order. In the box trailers it’s a bit easier. Loading 500 loose rolls on a curtainsider without bulging the curtains takes some doing.

There were 2 in the office when I was there, 1 cool, 1 ■■■■. Think they’re both still there.

25 drops?? That’s a months work for me! Ha

Think I’ll stop where I’m at. Money ain’t much different (bit less actually), I’m left near enough to my own devices and I know my current job/customers inside out having been here for nearly 8 years so I’d only have been moving to cut my commute in half and do a little bit more on the mainland as we seem to have knocked that pretty much on the head.

Cheers for the info.

Gregory’s going well?

Yes thanks, can’t complain.