I've always wanted to know

Hi folks,

I’ve always wanted to know, how come European trucks or trucks to be driven on the continent seem to be lower and fitted with lower profile tyres? Someone once told me that it was an easy solution to the difference in the standard bridge hieghts? Summat about European bridges being lower than the UK 16ft 6"?

I hope I don’t sound like an idiot asking summat which is obvious to you folks.

Indeed. They can’t go above 4m so they have to get closer to the ground to get a high volume trailer under the bridges.

this was asked a couple of weeks ago mate

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89700

My bad for not using the search function :blush:

I’ve always wondered why they’re mostly in 4x2 config & why the top of the arch over the drive axle mud flap thingy is exposed, ours here have a cover…?

Pimpdaddy:
I’ve always wondered why they’re mostly in 4x2 config…?

Cos they don’t run at 44t like we do.

Quite honestly I think it looks ridiculous, those long slim fuel tanks. Of course it’s not looks that matter, it’s the practicality.

They take the top of the mud guard off so it doesnt get ripped off when entering/exiting ferries and weight limit abroad is 40 or 41 tonnes i think.Well saw a polish driver with a tank on running on 5 axles leaving Selby to go to Denmark on friday at 40680 and he was putting thumbs up!

I had to pick up a dutch vos trailer couple of weeks back with my unit, what a ball ache that was!!! Had to change the couplings and took me about 10 mins so wind the legs further down on the slow gear.

to get 4m running height and high volume
some companies run mega spec trucks
smaller and low profile tyres
they can couple at 4m with 3m internal loading which gives 100 cu metres loading
plenty of space for everything

It was a vos truck at selby!

European drivers are shorter than UK drivers so it makes climbing in and out of the cab easier,thought it was obvious hell!
President Sarkozy was a midget so is Merkel.Europeans don’t eat Weetabix what can you expect.

i’ve often thought that if you bought a lorry with little wheel that did 56mph at 1400 rpm, then put proper wheel on it and re caliberated the limiter. then what would the rpm be, and would it use less fuel?

limeyphil:
i’ve often thought that if you bought a lorry with little wheel that did 56mph at 1400 rpm, then put proper wheel on it and re caliberated the limiter. then what would the rpm be, and would it use less fuel?

Rpm would be lower but you would probably be running out of the green band or having to run in 11th gear. So I reckon fuel economy would be worse.

limeyphil:

Would a bigger wheel fit under the arches??

It should do. Some are missing the first bottom step because they’re so low…

damoq:

limeyphil:

Rpm would be lower but you would probably be running out of the green band or having to run in 11th gear. So I reckon fuel economy would be worse.

But then, from the other hand, since lorry will me lower, it will have smaller air resistance, so that should make for this difference?