pair of clowns

Evil8Beezle:

danalex84:
Couple of DAFs with chunks of the rear of cab taken out.

Can someone tell me why these cabs have that bit cut away? :confused:
Or have I missed that bit in this thread…

To give the driver even less space than he already gets in a CF cab. On international work. Sometimes double manning…

(No beans please)

davepenn54:
Whilst I was at TRUCK mag we had a wall of shame, the title for worst haulier was a fight between De Rooy & Dukes Transport, De Rooy was slightly in the lead with a four axle FL10 loaded with 4 SuperSpace Cab Daf 6x2 units, about 34ton payload on a 32-5ton gross lorry, he got pulled after burning out the clutch trying to get up Telegraph Hill on the A38 in Devon :open_mouth:

@newmercman, what was the problem ‘TRUCK Magazine’ had with Dukes Transport ? De Rooy has got lots of follow up on this thread, but no-one has posted anything about derogatory about Dukes even though there has been quite a few posters who worked for them up until 2000 when they shut up shop.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Dave, we never had anything against them, it was a bit of fun, they both had quite a bit of bother with the boys in blue and at roadside checks, to be fair to Dukes they were no worse than anyone else running from NI, but there were more of them to get captured and get captured they did.

Heaver Bros and Hayton Coulthard were eventually declared winners as I remember. Both companies having their licences revoked.

I’ve seen this company too many times and the truck was always driven on with cab at the headboard… only one pivot point to as it would appear that they uncouple the trailer and stow the A-Frame upright to reduce the load length. Not sure whether it could be overloaded or not whichever way its loaded.

Found this: youtube.com/watch?v=OfPAcpr41AQ

@newmercman, I get yer drift :wink: I did 3 tours for Dukes between 1980-1999 and they were good to work for, money was always in the bank, tackle was always reasonably new and they always remembered you had children at Xmas time. I was never asked to do anything illegal, but that’s not to say I didn’t stretch the limits when it was to my benefit. Looking back I do think it was a company that ran on if your face fits you are given lots of leeway and I know that for a fact as I was responsible for getting the Manchester Depot manager and the UK area manager the push after a dispute over how long fortnightly runs were taking :unamused: Anyway that is a tale I’ve mentioned before and maybe one day I will put it in writing but it is a long time ago and can’t be arsed really, everyone’s moved on from then, but it was very satisfying at the time. :smiley:

Regard
Dave Penn;

Evil8Beezle:

danalex84:
Couple of DAFs with chunks of the rear of cab taken out.

Can someone tell me why these cabs have that bit cut away? :confused:
Or have I missed that bit in this thread…

It so they can increase the angle of the front loaded vehicle, in order to fit more on.
De Rooy are very good at maximising space and understand that just a few inches here and there can make all the difference when loading.

These three are not the best pictures, but you get the idea.

de rooy 3.jpg

de rooy 2.jpg

Thanks, I get it now! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

Perfect example for you buddy…

danalex84:

Evil8Beezle:

Perfect example for you buddy…

Cheers! :smiley:
I guess if it makes the difference between carrying 3 or 4 units, it’s worth the expense…

Just take it easy on the speed bumps… :open_mouth:

davepenn54:
they were good to work for, money was always in the bank, tackle was always reasonably new and they always remembered you had children at Xmas time.

I have to agree with the above, also if you got on with Mr Mcgowan at Stranraer, you could get quite a few trips in every week.

Regards Dave.

They will move just about anything, cab/tractor unit/chassis cab/tractor etc and work for most of the truck/tractor manufacturers throughout Europe.

As above always been well known here as a bent mob in hours, overloading and maintenance and think they were one of the “leading” companies for volume of vehicles getting impounded in the UK.

No idea if they changed there ways over the last few years, although sure there was something on here about them applying (unsuccessfully) for a UK operating license not so long ago.

Despite it looking an interesting and semi technical job I always feel a bit sorry for there drivers staying for no doubt weeks at a time in the tiny cabs!

today i watched a pair of clowns loading this @ magor services after they had the entrance blocked for about 25 mins trying to uncuple the drag from the mover,they were like lorel and hardy, anyway as much as id loved to have stayed till they finished they only had strapping down and ramp removel todo, my Q is … shorley the last drag axle must be overloaded or have i missed somthing ?

how can it be overloaded when its not a uk reg truck :laughing:

that lookks wrong to me to, way to heavy on the back. normally they just drive them on, dont they :question:

I have often seen these type of trucks driving down the road with another one on the back. What do they do? why is this?

joedwyer1:
I have often seen these type of trucks driving down the road with another one on the back. What do they do? why is this?

They do it when they have more than one to run empty for any distance - that way you only use only lot of fuel.

Paul

joedwyer1:

They generally come over here loaded with either DAF trucks or farm tractors,I would guess that a return load of this nature would be hard to find so they piggy back home to save fuel?? praps?

joedwyer1:

This particular firm are seen bringing daf cabs in and tractors more than anything else.

I thought dafs were assembled at leyland?

Yes, just giving an answer to the what do they do question. Dunno what they do elsewhere, just what I have seen.