One size fits all h&s

On a scrap metal site the other day which had a small yard not REALLY suitable for artics. They backed me up so my back doors were about 10 inches from metal bins, and even at that the unit was still just out on the pavement.

They are loading me and i jump up on the trailer to start strapping. Banksman comes over and says you can’t jump up there, you need to use ladders at back of trailer to get up and down. I said right, so can I jump down and then I’ll open the back. He said no don’t jump down now I’ll open the doors for you. So obviously, because they had to back me up so close to the bins the doors will hardly open. I’m climbing down the ladders with the wind blowing the door against me and pushing me into the trailer. I say surely this is more dangerous now? He just they are our rules.

To be honest I’d had enough and wanted to go and get parked up for the night, had it been earlier in the day I’d have phoned my manager and said we’ve got an issue. They won’t let me climb on trailer on the side, and I’m concerned for my safety going up the back due to the lack of space. You need to phone their boss and sort it or I can’t strap the load which means I’m going nowhere. But, I couldn’t be bothered with the hassle.

But that’s an example of where these blanket one size fits all h&s rules fail, with no room for individuals to make their own common sense risk assessments.

Are you related to truckman020 by any chance? All he does is ■■■■■■■ moan too.

If people, companies, corporate BS and H&S didn’t give me reason to moan and we could all just get on with things with courtesy and common sense, then I wouldn’t need to moan! :smiley:

Rowley010:
If people, companies, corporate BS and H&S didn’t give me reason to moan and we could all just get on with things with courtesy and common sense, then I wouldn’t need to moan! :smiley:

How you lot put up with the H&S ■■■■■■■■ in the UK i dont know :confused: You should have told the cabbage you’ll do it your way, its your trailer NOT theirs and if you want to jump up on the back and jump back down thats your business not the cabbages to get involved in. While youre on the back of the trailer its your property youre on, youre NOT standing in THEIR yard…

The problem is it all comes back to my recent post on fines. Said site is a good customer of my company, and my company tell drivers they have to comply with customers h&s rules on site. Not doing so has led to written warnings and dismissals in the past. On other sites the company has been fined for drivers disobeying rules. Must be written in the contact I guess.

One of my mates had a similar thing at Amazon Peterborough the other week. A power hungry shunter told him he must wear his hi viz when on site, even in his cab. He laughed, but the shunter wasn’t laughing. He insisted he wear his hi viz while waiting in his cab. He kept refusing, saying it’s a dirty grease stained thing that he didn’t want to wear whilst sitting in his seat. But he kept insisting, saying he was “in their yard”, and that the rules state all drivers must wear hi viz’s whilst in their yard. My mate didn’t succumb, and was threatened with a future ban, but it never materialised.

AndrewG:
How you lot put up with the H&S ■■■■■■■■ in the UK i dont know :confused:

None of your business really is it!!

You do it your way bending the rules to suit (limeyphil apprentice :unamused: ) and we’ll do it our way and whinge about it. Are there no forums for your part of the world or do you all have deep desires to be UK lorry drivers?

dri-diddly-iver:

AndrewG:

You do it your way bending the rules to suit (limeyphil apprentice :unamused: ) and we’ll do it our way and whinge about it. Are there no forums for your part of the world or do you all have deep desires to be UK lorry drivers?

Bit harsh methinks… having a bad day?

Thats what i was thinking Puggy …andrew was right…and the fact we are all in the EU, under their stupid ideas, yet each country obeys in different ways. We all know that in the majority of ways H&S rules are ridiculous, hence the posters rant, a one stop fits all approach. It seems to me that no one has any use for their brains anymore, and do what the bosses tell them. I also argue with the jobsworths over H&S rules, especially when they tell me i cant climb on my own trailer to strap it down…so i just tell them, its my load, my responsibility, my licence, and i either climb on the trailer, or you can off load it, same when delivering, if we dont fight back, nothing will change, and i dont care if its their work or bread and butter, why should we break the rules to please them…

AndrewG:

Rowley010:

How you lot put up with the H&S ■■■■■■■■ in the UK i dont know :confused: You should have told the cabbage you’ll do it your way, its your trailer NOT theirs and if you want to jump up on the back and jump back down thats your business not the cabbages to get involved in. While youre on the back of the trailer its your property youre on, youre NOT standing in THEIR yard…

Absolutely bang on. I’ve said this several times and got away with it thus far!!

goshow:

AndrewG:

Rowley010:

Absolutely bang on. I’ve said this several times and got away with it thus far!!

Sometimes that works, and sometimes that backfires…

Rowley010:
The problem is it all comes back to my recent post on fines. Said site is a good customer of my company, and my company tell drivers they have to comply with customers h&s rules on site. Not doing so has led to written warnings and dismissals in the past. On other sites the company has been fined for drivers disobeying rules. Must be written in the contact I guess.

Its this. While your on a customers site you will agree to work to their rules, as even if you are in “your” truck in their yard they still have to report and explain accidents that occur there.

I won’t say I agree with it but this is the result when you get people sue for anything which is the modern world these days

Bradfords builders yard has a right c"&* of a yards man. Went through this crap with him one day and end result was his load came off my truck and I pulled out leaving it behind. Have been back to load out of there since and funnily enough I’ve not had a problem since [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its the nub of a lot of truck drivers to be lead by the nose they just cant make a decision even if there life dependent on it.
Its your h/s and if you need to do work on your truck thats what you do but unforunately we have numnuts in the game who have to ask if they can go for a ■■■■ or put there hand up to talk, yes sir no sir three bags full sir

dri-diddly-iver:

AndrewG:

Ive absolutely no desire to be a ‘UK lorry driver’ thanks, been there got the T shirt and p1ssed off over here in the sun for a far better life years ago and i WILL carry on doing things my way.
The internet is a world wide thing hence www. and until i get banned from this forum ill carry on posting, that is if i have your permission… :unamused:

:grimacing:

Driver fell out of the back whilst cleaning out a couple of weeks ago and broke his ankle, this resulted in amendments to H&S rules for the 16 sites run by the company, only 2 have issued them to my knowledge and none of them adhere to their own policies unless it’s to bollock a driver that they don’t like.

We had a subbie who climbed up his side ladders instead of using the gantry at the front to sort out his sheet on whilst at a customers sites. This was against the sites H&S policy. He proceeded to fall off and badly break his leg which obviously tried to claim for.
It ended up going to court and he was left with nothing as he didn’t follow the rules and told the foreman “it’s my wagon, I’ll do it as I want”.

Goes to show, if you play the big “I am” and something goes wrong you only have yourself to blame.

Castillidie:
We had a subbie who climbed up his side ladders instead of using the gantry at the front to sort out his sheet on whilst at a customers sites. This was against the sites H&S policy. He proceeded to fall off and badly break his leg which obviously tried to claim for.
It ended up going to court and he was left with nothing as he didn’t follow the rules and told the foreman “it’s my wagon, I’ll do it as I want”.

Goes to show, if you play the big “I am” and something goes wrong you only have yourself to blame.

He never had a leg to stand on … :laughing: