Working at Height

Does this worry anyone?

A new system of protecting drivers from falling off the trailer while loading has been developed by a 3 year old

Eventually every trailer will need to be equipped with this kit along with Hi Viz, Helmets, safety harness, inflateable michelin man suits and sky hooks.

Its a slippery slope, (careful)

Already I have to put up with some of these rules with safety harness and fall arrest with threat of being banned from site if I dont comply. The sooner the better I say, if they want to protect me, than spend some money improving access to sites, seperate trucks from cars and have a major culling of health and safety experts

I hear you there, I work at between 0 - 24m and the amount of safety garb they want to carry up with you is unreal, can hardly get off the ground with the weight. that and lots of insurance. Lots of people covering thier asses as it seems to have turned into a mad suing kinda place. Thankfully a few countries in Europe still practise you making the risk assestment and doing what you think is correct and safe.

Britain needs to start to make everything out of cotton wool and then we will all be safe, no one suing anyone. I am looking forward to my air bagged hi vis jacket arriving in a fluffy red van. ohh no I have broken a nail on my keyboard… MEDIC!!!

Wheel Nut:
Does this worry anyone?

Not me. You know quite well that if anyone hurts themselves at work they wil be after ‘compo’ from the employer. The employer does all he can (and some more) to ensure even the thickest, dosiest people can’t hurt themselves. Simple really.

But solutions like these are panic measures. the dozy thick drivers will still trap their fingers or fall off these trestles :stuck_out_tongue:

I have driven tankers for many years and although many have had a hand rail fitted for years, they still need fall arrest netting and crutch hugging harnesses.

I have had more problems with the safety equipment supplied by many factories, like wearing a hard hat on a gantry and losing some peripheral vision or dropping safety spectacles into a sterlile tank. tripping over lanyards designed to stop you plummeting off the side of tanks or simply being unable to perform my job because these safety aids just get in the way.

On the top of my tanker, it is fitted with 2 air operated fully enclosing safety rails that also apply the trailer brakes but some factories will not even allow these and make you wear a harness or use circus safety netting

As for the picture of the trestles, how long before somone backs over them or some fork lift driver knocks them over like dominoes maiming everyone who is using them?

i casee a BIG flaw in this design

most drivers are lets put it this way the wrong hieght for their wieght

there is no ballast on the side nearest the trl

picture the driver leaning on the rail to get his hard hat

topple, ouch, court case , kerching :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bunkslug:
i casee a BIG flaw in this design

most drivers are lets put it this way the wrong hieght for their wieght

topple, ouch, court case , kerching :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That was delicately put :smiley:

A trailer bed is about 8 feet wide and 45 foot long yet people will still trip over the side. people trip over curbs and sue the council should we have guard rails on all kerbstones?

Maybe drivers should have to take a stupidity exam, less than 40% you need a minder or a nanny

Is it April 1st?.

Wheel Nut:
Already I have to put up with some of these rules with safety harness and fall arrest with threat of being banned from site if I dont comply. The sooner the better I say, if they want to protect me, than spend some money improving access to sites, seperate trucks from cars and have a major culling of health and safety experts

Hang on, you’ve been told you’ve had to wear harness and restraint from falling gear for unloading lorries? IIRC the guidelines were anything above 2 meters from the ground you had to wear a harness, and that was for working on platforms.

Unloading off a truck doesn’t come under that.

It is a good idea to have some sort of safety system. But all the same :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Saratoga:

Wheel Nut:

Hang on, you’ve been told you’ve had to wear harness and restraint from falling gear for unloading lorries? IIRC the guidelines were anything above 2 meters from the ground you had to wear a harness, and that was for working on platforms.

Unloading off a truck doesn’t come under that.

It is a good idea to have some sort of safety system. But all the same :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Exactly the reason for the post.

In a magazine I read there is a half page advert for this system pictured.

Manufacturing Safety Solutions for Industry

New work at height regulations 2005

It is advertised as a New Guardrail system for loading / unloading Artic tailers and other flatbeds. The picture shows a Prestons of Potto flatbed

www.langtonsftcg.co.uk

Do you fancy having a read of this short HSE document here (77kb) and work out which bit applies to you?

hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg401.pdf

Given that Wheelnut works on tankers and is required from time to time to work on top of the tanker I would have thought most of that document applies to him.

What is ‘work at height’?
Regulation 2
5 A place is ‘at height’ if (unless these Regulations are followed) a person could
be injured falling from it, even if it is at or below ground level.

He could be injured falling from the top of a tanker could he not? According to that document it would apply to a sales assistant on a step ladder so it looks like it would also apply to a driver using a ladder to re-lace a tilt.

Hey Wheelnut, ever done the glucose out of Tilbury? he fall restraint indoors with the hook that smacks you on the back of the head, the one outside where you have to carry the little wire rope up the ladder because you can’t take it off the hook and the stupid little piece of paper you have to sign at the gate saying you have read and understand the safety procedures.

Utter nonsense.

Also, I used to get really [zb] off when those netting frames rubbed against the stainless!

bobthedog:
Hey Wheelnut, ever done the glucose out of Tilbury? he fall restraint indoors with the hook that smacks you on the back of the head, the one outside where you have to carry the little wire rope up the ladder because you can’t take it off the hook and the stupid little piece of paper you have to sign at the gate saying you have read and understand the safety procedures.

Utter nonsense.

Also, I used to get really [zb] off when those netting frames rubbed against the stainless!

Dont know what happened. I replied to this post earlier :confused:

Cargill and Cerestar companies are the worst Bob. Americans scared of litigation. Those netting frames have done more damage to our tank stormcovers recently, even the cleaning stations are using them and they either bend the cladding or they pierce it.

I loaded a 3 potter in Manchester on Thursday and because of the system I had to move the truck 5 times so I could seal the manlids. Dont get me wrong, it would hurt if you fell off a tanker but that is all the more reason to be careful.

What next? a Stannah stairlift to enter the cab :stuck_out_tongue:

Try getting out a car a*se first when you have no more than a couple of inches of grouind which just happens to be about 25 feet up and on about a 40 degree slope… They have brought up the working at height act with us but it’s not really practical due to the many different locations we both load and un-load… Dont think harnessing would work either as if I was falling off my top deck I’d want to make sure I was falling away from the truck not getting pulled back to it by a rope…

Did anybody else notice the bloke walking along the top of that crashed coach after they had righted it? Arms outstretched to keep his balance :open_mouth: .
Doesn’t bother me, I was on the roof the other day replacing some tiles blown off in a storm, but I was surprised to see it nevertheless.

Spardo:
Did anybody else notice the bloke walking along the top of that crashed coach after they had righted it? Arms outstretched to keep his balance :open_mouth: .
Doesn’t bother me, I was on the roof the other day replacing some tiles blown off in a storm, but I was surprised to see it nevertheless.

I noticed that as well balancing as he wrestled with tarps in the wind… :unamused:

Speaking from personal experience i am retired now and have been 6yrs.After 34yrs driving heavys all over europe and gb i was unloading plts.After the plts.were unloaded there were a number of loose ctns. on the trl.The curtain was still open at the front but being safety concious i went to the rear [lowest point] and climbed on the trl.While sorting the ctns.i stepped back and fell off the side of the trl.I am now a quadripleigic confined to a wheelchair.To the thick and dozy ones that means i have some paralysis in all my body.Even though i have had this accident i consider myself neither thick or dozy but i think i fell foul of the old saying FAMILIARITY BREEDS CONTEMPT which if we are honest with ourselves we are all guilty of from time to time’

Safe trucking to you all

regards dave

tony_soprano1980:
Try getting out a car a*se first when you have no more than a couple of inches of grouind which just happens to be about 25 feet up and on about a 40 degree slope… They have brought up the working at height act with us but it’s not really practical due to the many different locations we both load and un-load… Dont think harnessing would work either as if I was falling off my top deck I’d want to make sure I was falling away from the truck not getting pulled back to it by a rope…

25 Foot or slight exageration.

not a kick in the behind off it if you take into account that the top deck when travelling is about 15 foot at the top, tilt the back down to load and the peak raises a good 5 to 7 feet, then add the height when you step out the car… Its probably between 20 and 25 feet, never had the urge to measure but next time I fall i’ll time how long it takes me to hit the pavement and seeing as objets fall to earth at the exact same speed i’ll be able to get you an accurate figure!!

there is no safe working at height we have been told standing on your shoe lace is now classed as working at height.

Last year at cardiff steelworks when the came to lag the roor of the new furnace the fire bridage told the laggers Not to use any fall arrest system as they could not get in to them for a rescue within 20mins
so they did it without any harness just a great big airbag and nets
and that new building is some height