Latest H & S BS

Yesterday went to The Sainsbury RDC at Greenford and was asked to put this on the 5th wheel handle

Explained that I was not dropping the trailer but was told didn’t matter had to put it on, asked the guy “how is this going to stop me from driving off when my keys are in the warehouse while I’m being tipped?” to be given the standard answer of it’s H & S innit.
Told him if he wanted it on there he could put it on himself which fair play to him he did with no argument.
I’m assuming this policy was thought up and accepted halfway through a bonding weekend when at least 10 pints had been sunk defies all logic to say the least.

mazzer:
Yesterday went to The Sainsbury RDC at Greenford and was asked to put this on the 5th wheel handle

Explained that I was not dropping the trailer but was told didn’t matter had to put it on, asked the guy “how is this going to stop me from driving off when my keys are in the warehouse while I’m being tipped?” to be given the standard answer of it’s H & S innit.
Told him if he wanted it on there he could put it on himself which fair play to him he did with no argument.
I’m assuming this policy was thought up and accepted halfway through a bonding weekend when at least 10 pints had been sunk defies all logic to say the least.

The capital letters just spell out what colour you would be if you got the grease on you [emoji6][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

If you wasn’t dropping the trailer there is no sense in that been on, in all honesty even if you had dropped the trailer, what is that supposed to do for you? remind you how to hitch up a trailer in case you forgot how to whilst waiting.

Be a shame if some 5th wheel grease found it’s way onto the thing while taking it off and the security bod got some on his hands, computer keyboard, gate log, coffee cup, phone, toilet handle, clothes etc. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I agree it’s stupid, but just like the laws aren’t a coppers fault, it’s not the security blokes fault is it! No need to be awkward with them over it. He’s just been told he has to start doing it by the people who pay him,

Rowley010:
I agree it’s stupid, but just like the laws aren’t a coppers fault, it’s not the security blokes fault is it! No need to be awkward with them over it. He’s just been told he has to start doing it by the people who pay him,

Wasn’t being awkward with the guy and looking at the speed with which he put it on I would say he does it regularly, my point being that if we all say yes to every piece of H & S then where does it stop? People are just to happy to roll over and take any order no matter how stupid, hopefully the security will be able to raise it as an issue and Sainsbury will get the feedback, also if your a driver for Sainsbury at least you know that your management thinks you are to thick to uncouple and couple a trailer, must create a great working environment

Oh no I agree. But I think once something filters down to us as drivers, warehouse staff, security etc then the people who have made the decision frankly dont care what we think. So us being awkward (which I know you weren’t I was more referring to the post saying it would be funny if he got grease all over his stuff) doesn’t help anyone and it certainly doesn’t make the people who think it all up feel any different.

Maybe they’ve had a few incidents where at best drivers haven’t bothered putting the trailer brake on or they think they are doing the shutter a favour by not doing. Or at worst ripped lines are trailer on its nose. They’ve had a meeting and thought how can we try and make sure drivers always do every stage of coupling and uncoupling?

If it is something like that it still doesn’t explain why they have to do a stupid blanket rule of putting it in whether your dropping your trailer or not.

Have you ever DROPPED A TRAILER? What a ■■■■ take

I don’t mind all that type of bloody ridiculous crap as long as the guy who tells me to do it asks in an apologetic kind of way displaying his ridicule for it.
It’s the dicks who can not see the irony of it all, and take it oooh sooo serious that get on my ■■■■. :unamused:

Sorry mate that could flick up and cause interference with my 5th wheel :unamused:

Nice, a set of miniature safety instructions. So you’ll have your head buried in a confined space under the trailer to read them. Nice, I like it.

Just say to him “nah, can’t put that on mate, if you do it’ll put me overweight. It’s the law, bye!”

Rowley010:

Exactly :grimacing:

Rowley010:

But that is what the Nazis said when they where gassing all those Jews

Tom Cobbles:

Rowley010:

But that is what the Nazis said when they where gassing all those Jews

That, and the fact that your everyday german would have been invited to join them in the gas chamber if they didnt…

I reckon the modern day equivilant of oppresive dictatorship would be to get the slaves to the regime hocked up on credit and drip feed them a way to pay back their endenture and then thinley vailed threats of loosing their jobs if they are not fully compliant with the machine.
Why put a gun to someones head when all hope is gone.

Shouldn’t it be written in 3 different languages?

UKtramp:
Shouldn’t it be written in 3 different languages?

If it was written in all the languages in use round there you wouldn’t be able to lift it

and this happened after the geezer had turned up with his trailer and had been loaded. I wonder if we’d put a card on the handle it would have prevented it happening

It’s not just at Greenford. It’s a Wincanton H&S thing, supposedly this is meant to be a final reminder before pulling the handle as they have a few dropped trailers, literally. We have it at our depot aswell. It did stop for a while but they brought it back a few weeks ago. At our depot it’s only being used for our drivers and not anyone delivering to us.

tonyj105:
and this happened after the geezer had turned up with his trailer and had been loaded. I wonder if we’d put a card on the handle it would have prevented it happening

may be the security bloke put the H&S card on so tight he accidentally pulled the handle.