Old northamptonshire companys

Pat Hasler:
I remember H Brown on Semilong road in Northampton. During my first year at Swifts I worked nights and a mate of mine did the odd casual day for them. One morning Browns called and asked for him, I told them he was away, then asked if I could help (big mistake). I taked myself into doing a day for them the following monday starting at 06.00 I set out to Rhode in one of their Leylands, loaded for the old Standard factory in Coventry and delivered to about 5 plants on the site. I phoned him and he sent me to British Timken in Daventry to collect a crate that was a foot wider each side than the lorry which I then took to Timken in Duston.
11 hours work and he paid me 10 quid cash which in 1975 was a good days pay. However !!! later that night he called me to ask me to do a run to wales which I refused. “I’ll pay you 20 pounds for this one” he said.
Tempting as this was I feared I may get held up and not make work at Swifts the same night so declined.
Driving all day on a Browns log then all night on my Swifts log would make me a tad sleepy anyway :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Does anybody remember what happened to Harry Browns?

In April 2012 Mick Austin did an article on them in Classic & Vintage Commercial magazine. He reckons they finished at the latest sometime in the mid 1990’s.

classicman:
In April 2012 Mick Austin did an article on them in Classic & Vintage Commercial magazine. He reckons they finished at the latest sometime in the mid 1990’s.

Thanks. Do you know anybody who would have a copy of the article? My Grandad was a Frank Brown, I believe was one of the younger brothers, who left the business after a disagreement and set up a cab company. So I’m just interested in a bit of background family history.

Anyone remember Joyce brothers (tippers) from Burton Latimer ?

Bill Joyce the eldest brother was an old workmate of mine in BRS Irthlingborough Repair Centre days.
Bill is still going strong and enjoying his retirement.

Cheers Dig

Yes, a Sainsbury’s and a car sales where their yard was. Finished around 1990?

taylpeter230467:

classicman:

Thanks classicman. I’ve got the back issue on order.

3 new fiat 170-26’s my dad bought from BFI in Wellingborough (VBD363W-364W-369W) and a bit of the work I did with mine , 364W.The half a bungalow was 19’8" high, I’ve forgotten how much overhang I had on the 2 mobile homes , but the trailer was 45’ long and they were 29’6" caravans, bit of a fraught Friday that was.

tony

BIGGSAM:
Brackmills Haulage 2010 gone I was the last to drive for them while still under the Bennies wing befor getting sold to Rob Masters befor they went pop the other drivers Stuart Ball went to Wrights of Corby but since retired then went back driving then lost his hgv to diabetes but Duggy Wright gave him site work driving a sweeper Colin Burnham now drives for Fowler Welch in Desborough John Duncan retired me I drive for L Lynch in Rushden on low loaders but for how long I don’t know :wink:
Robert “Nobby” Clark who used to be a fitter at Chetts went to Bennies now Works at Weetabix workshop
Barton Plant transport gone that went late 2010 but still run 8wheeler crane waggon Merv Harrison low loader driver Went to RJC Rushden

Anyone remember Joyce brothers (tippers) from Burton Latimer ?

D R Daniles from Desborough I remember them when I was a kid in the old station yard ! Goode and Marlow
And ferrymasters my mates dad worked for them Richard Ponton

Still as a young un of 45 I can’t remember many more of the old uns

l remember Joyce brothers as l spent a lot of time as a kid riding around in there wagons whenever my father was on the same jobs

austinlee:
remember crosley and beal my uncle worked for them what about F W Randall ?

Yes remember them well my father drove for them until they closed down in the early 1980s

a couple of Northamptonshire tractor units painted by my dad while he was temporarily out of transport

a harris haulage scania 110 complete with couchette sleeping arrangement , and mick bennetts ford da2014

tony

Link to the ABBA Truck !!
Maybe this isnt what you were looking for maybe a UK ABBA truck !!

google.se/search?q=abba+pai … 5259232907

Anyone remember a driver called Graham Warner aka Jethro who used to work for Knights of Old many years ago?

I’ve enjoyed this thread, I remember seeing lots of these companies around the county when I was young.
I see Thrapston Warehousing got mentioned a few times, for anyone wondering, they were bought out by Saima Avendero who built a new warehouse on Haldens Parkway around 1995.
They continued to use the old Oundle Rd warehouse until it eventually knocked down around 1999.
Then Avendero were bought by ABX, whothemselves were bought out by DSV.
We had some old yellow Thrapston Warehousing box trailers in the Avendero yard for years as storage until they were too rotten to use!

Thanks for all the pictures this has brought back happy memories i did international a few years ago now i worked for james and hodder out of avonmuth for several years and also Dorothy bowman running to Spain and also brown wharrier out of gateshead going to Spain and Portugal and i have been retired for several years now and i miss my driving and i am 69 now and it is all happy memories and seeing all the pictures of ,
e.m. Rogers brought it all back to me and i new a lot of there drivers and now doing international work would not be the same not like it was years ago .
And i hope every one is staying safe with the present situation with this bad virus and i am self isolating because of heal conditions and thanks again for the pictures brought it all back just happy memories now of days gone buy regards stewart

V8 Passion:
Robert Corfe used to run white Renault R340 an R385 Turboliners with supercube tilts, He was a posh old boy from out near Market Harboro way im sure he had Northants on his trailers.

I wouldn’t call him posh…
I normally call him Dad!

He also ran some FH12’S and merc Actros.

hi all

as other areas have a listing may be we could do a northants one anybody remember these companys:

royal blue

e h lee

w g eales

corby freight

patricks

aileys transport

brabrook tippers

lillys
plus any old photos of c ■■■■ warefords e m rogers

many thanks ftdb team

Certainly remember most of them,

Royal Blue were from Pytchley and ran a mixed fleet on a variety of work. I remember they had a few Leyland Constructor eight wheelers, ERF units and latterly Scanias. Dont know if they are still operating.

E.H Lee, are still on the go as far as I know and operate from Peterborough mainly on waste disposal work.

W.G Eales were a big tipper operator and used to operate a number of Foden dump trucks, did Mixconcrete or ARC or similar take them over?

Do you remember Mixconcrete with their cream & brown Mixers, big Scammell breakdown wagon and one of their O/D Barry ■■? who had a very smart Seddon Stki 400, 8 wheel tipper.

Dont know Corby Freight

Patricks used to do alot of continental work for the shoe industry hauling leather hides/skins & finished shoes. They ran drawbar outfits in the late 70s & early 80s. I think EM Rogers took them over.

Ailey Transport / PD Grant uder to run a big fleet of 4 wheelers, mostly TKs & TLs with a mixture of makes on parcels work, all were named ### Express. They had a few artics for trunk work and became Blue Band Motors & then Freightroute.
Do you remember their Atki recovery truck, “Fetchum Express” which was always on the go as they ran a rather “mature” fleet!

Braybrooks were a long established firm and packed up in the mid 1980s. They latterly ran Volvos and did alot of tipper work including some for Mixconcrete.

Lilleys were another company with various interests. They did general haulage with Volvo artics, did quite a bit for Weetabix I think. They also ran tippers and had a Volvo N10 six wheeler at one time. I think they packed up in the late eighties / early 90s.

C.■■■■ was also on tipper work and general haulage before they moved into the slightly bigger league with their “Texas” contract.

Truckerash may come to our rescue with a few pics as we are in his “back yard” with this thread.

Do you remember;

Partricks of Stanwick (not to be confused with Patricks) they had a big fleet on continental work including an early F12 Globetrotter and White Roadcommander.

Thrapston Warehousing

Arthur Spriggs

WA Sales

M & B Transport

Cheers
Mark

Did’nt A.B.C.Dee transport come from the Northants area ? They used to do bulk grain, I used to talk to one driver on the CB by the name of American Express…they had an F10 artic and an 8 wheeler Volvo if my memory serves me right. This was back around 1975ish

You are right Colin, A.B.C Dee were farmers from Desborough, I think.
Were loyal Volvo users.

Cheers
Mark

what about robert corfe (spelling) and MB both did a lot of italy