Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Getting back to Hiltons, IIRC They did take Pollocks of Mussleburgh, Cappies had a depot at St Helens, I remember taking a container from North Shields Docks to their depot there, I was workng for F.Short & Son Ltd at this time, There were two of us there,We were refused to unload & told that we should not have had the job, Anyway after a few phone calls we were both instructed to bring the loads back to North Shields, The very next day I spotted two of Cappies artics heading south with containers on,When I spoke to Ken Short about it he just said It was a cockup with the shipping agent but he got paid for the job, Regards Larry.

Murray Hogg Ltd 015.JPG

Murray Hogg Ltd 005.JPG

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi Kev, It was Hammonds Transport that was used in the Brothers not Hiltons, Take care stay safe, Regards Larry.

Larry, the first series of “The Brothers” was definitely shot using HTS vehicles, I’ve just watched the opening episode, the distinctive blue and white livery on a Ford “D” series is evident, the “so called” driver is hauled out of the cab by the "“gaffa” for trying to start the motor with the engine stop activated. The later series with different actors also had the fleet change to Hammonds .
Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi Kev, It was Hammonds Transport that was used in the Brothers not Hiltons, Take care stay safe, Regards Larry.

Larry, the first series of “The Brothers” was definitely shot using HTS vehicles, I’ve just watched the opening episode, the distinctive blue and white livery on a Ford “D” series is evident, the “so called” driver is hauled out of the cab by the "“gaffa” for trying to start the motor with the engine stop activated. The later series with different actors also had the fleet change to Hammonds .
Regards Kev.

Hiya,
Yes Kev the scene you mention was definitely one of Hiltons motors
certainly Hiltons very ordinary blue/white plain livery, very simple
to take the H in HTS to be thought of as Hammonds without a lot of
expense for the film company.

I remember being a bit disappointed with this series apart from some background scenes there wasn’t much in the way of the transport mainly board room and family argument scenes. The studio shots were done at Pebble Mill Birmingham and the haulage yard shots probably at a HTS in the area. The later Trucker series although slated by most at least showed more of the vehicles. Franky.

Frankydobo:
I remember being a bit disappointed with this series apart from some background scenes there wasn’t much in the way of the transport mainly board room and family argument scenes. The studio shots were done at Pebble Mill Birmingham and the haulage yard shots probably at a HTS in the area. The later Trucker series although slated by most at least showed more of the vehicles. Franky.

I’ve never seen Brothers so can’t comment but I’ve got Truckers on dvd and I enjoyed it,yeah it’s a bit corny but it was still watchable and better than the truckers that came out a few years ago

NMP.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0NMP.

Hiya,
I wonder how many Londons you could do in a week with this old girl.

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:
0NMP.

Hiya,
I wonder how many Londons you could do in a week with this old girl.

Thinking back now I wish I’d asked my Grandfather more of his experiences in the early 1920s, but when you’re young you tend to think of today more than yesterday. Its only now as I approach the age he was when I remember him best & I think back to my youth I realise what I missed.
I doubt if he ever took one of his T Ford’s down to London but he did tell of a journey to Scarborough in about 1922. In fact when in later life he traveled that route with me in the car most of his conversation was Burke Brow & the Jolly Sailors. which I travelled up without changing gear , but was told by the 1970s were by no way as steep.

His first T Ford was 1920 reg J9629 with solid wheels so I doubt it was that one he had taken, Second had apparently what he described as balloon tyres & the third bought about 1923 had what we would consider more ‘normal’ tyres. I would suspect it was the second with the balloon tyres that he had taken, loaded with a household removal, which I would suspect to be heaven’s high as I think they only had a body length about 12 foot. So although not a particularly heavy load the height of load may have added significant wind resistance.
I think it was when they reached the ‘Jolly Sailors’ that it struggled and he had to turn round and reverse up the hill.
Modern day drivers with sleeper cabs and night heaters would have a fit as all his model T’s up to his first Morris Commercial in about 1926 had only half doors with no windows which must have not been too good on a cold icy morning driving whilst snowing. My dad born September 1921 remembered riding in the Fords including J9629 and said there was almost nothing there very little controls & no comforts I suspect just wood seats, so just one up from a horse & cart

Photo taken in Washington in the sixties, presumably outside the drivers house. Can anyone identify the company name on the door, think it ends in DY and from Houghton le Spring. Tyneside

tyneside:
Photo taken in Washington in the sixties, presumably outside the drivers house. Can anyone identify the company name on the door, think it ends in DY and from Houghton le Spring. Tyneside

Think that is one of Reg Vardys, his colour scheme

5thDragoon:

tyneside:

Great photo Tyneside, & 5thDragoon is correct ,It is Reg Vardys, Keep these photos of of NE Firms rolling, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

5thDragoon:

tyneside:

Great photo Tyneside, & 5thDragoon is correct ,It is Reg Vardys, Keep these photos of of NE Firms rolling, Regards Larry.

Plus its hooked up to a York Trailer IMO, Regards Larry.

Is it not George Vardy rather than Reg, who has the car dealers in Houghton, possibly related but not sure. Franky

Didn’t Reg Varney drive a bus. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

flishflunk:
Didn’t Reg Varney drive a bus. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Hiya,
Tickets please no get off.

Frankydobo:
Is it not George Vardy rather than Reg, who has the car dealers in Houghton, possibly related but not sure. Franky

Reg Vardy, as well as having the car dealership had a large transport business principally contracted to NCB, George Vardy was a nephew of his and worked for him as a driver, he drove a Foden two stroke eight wheel tipper, and could make it talk.